Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a dark side front tire for 1500GW?? I have seen ones listed for the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Yes there is...several brands.

A dark side front tire is a Motorcycle rear tire mounted on the front rim with the treads going backwards.

So you can use what ever brand MC rear tire you want as long as it fits the front rim and you mount it to roll backwards.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Okay, I understand the purpose of "darkside" on the rear, what is the reason for this practice on the front? What are the benefits?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I do not know the reason for the front. I just want to know so I make a good choice. I have a voyager kit on my 1500 so im more of an upright rider than a true 2 wheeler.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Rear tires have a deeper tread depth and last a lot longer.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

I asked a similar question in a thread not too long ago. Of 2 that responded, one liked having the 1800 E3 radial on the front of a GL1500 but another who rides an 1800 preferred a bias ply on the front of his 1800. But it seems that the popular option is to mount a Bridgestone Battleax rear tire in the proper size to a front GL1500 but with the treads going in reverse. There are quite a few threads on it. There was also a conversion offered in the UK a while back where the front forks were modified on a trike to allow a much wider tire and you can see a picture of it in this thread but I don't think it is available anymore...

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1200 it had an E2 rear tire mounted backwards on the front. It was a fatter tire, a tight fit, and lightly rubbed the front fender extension. I can't really saw that it was any better than the correct tire.

John

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
When I bought my 1200 it had an E2 rear tire mounted backwards on the front. It was a fatter tire, a tight fit, and lightly rubbed the front fender extension. I can't really saw that it was any better than the correct tire.

John
If you use a rear tire on the front it has to be the same size as the normal front tire, not larger. A larger tire on the front makes the handling a little sluggish.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

If the battleaxe rear works so good on front, why not use the battleaxe on rear? :?

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

Andy Cote wrote:
If the battleaxe rear works so good on front, why not use the battleaxe on rear? :?
OK, I'll bite, why not?

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Andy Cote wrote:
OK, I'll bite, why not?
Dave!!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

The rear tire on the front rim gives you twice the tread depth, a higher load rating (very useful for trikes) and a bigger contact patch with the road too.

All the same reasons so many riders have gone to a C/T on the rear.

Of course the tire must be reversed for a front rim mounting since the tread and belts are designed for acceleration on a rear rim, and are now being used for braking on a front rim. This is per the manufacturers specs and letters asking about this usage.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:
and a bigger contact patch with the road too.
No, you use the same size as the stock front tire. A size larger probably could be used on a trike but wouldn't want it on a bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.