Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i read about the dark side .it looks like it means useing a car tire or something different from a motorcycle tire ..how does it handle an ride compaired to a motorcycle tire..what is the advanage to going to it. may do it when i change tires :?..thanks rich

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Do a search here for "Darksiders" as well as an internet search, there is more than enough information out there. It's not for everyone but you can make your own decisions.
Ride Safe :action::action:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

TheCT would suit your side car, much better grip in the wet/ dry, better ride when two up, approx 25 to 30 thousand miles, as its a ROF its ismuch safer. Its acts a little different over cracks and pot holes at low speeds,i have no problems when cornering, i would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Rich as stated a CT would work great for your sidecar rig setup. It will last alot longer than a MC tire. Here is the site that I found when doing my research on darkside........ http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Here's a great site for questions about using a Car Tire (CT) on a bike:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Each CT will handle differently, although the typical differance is Insignificant compared to a bike tire... The CT will feel a bit odd at first (due to requiring more Counter-steer), yet you'll get used to it within an hour of riding and never look back.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

right now i dont have the side car on it..will it still work well on the bike ??????????? what are the pro an con of it.........thanks rich

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 and have run the dark-side all summer. Will not go back. Not for any reason. My bike handles better rides better and after 5000 plus miles it still looks almost brand new. I have not ridden with a side car. But with the extra tread on the ground it would have to stop and handle better. Run a Dunlop wintersport runflat on mine. No regrets, nonegitive thoughts at all. Try it U will be amazed.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

GEROWING wrote:
TheCT would suit your side car, much better grip in the wet/ dry, better ride when two up, approx 25 to 30 thousand miles, as its a ROF its ismuch safer. Its acts a little different over cracks and pot holes at low speeds,i have no problems when cornering, i would recommend it.
They are not all ROF (run on flat), only if you buy that type.

Otherwise I agree, I am running the Austone Taxi and loving it, but it's not a ROF.

·
Administrator
26,560 Posts
imported post

I meet 2 types of people when out riding. Those who have never heard of using a car tire on a motorcycle and those who already have one and are not switching back, more and more of the latter.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I meet 2 types of people when out riding. Those who have never heard of using a car tire on a motorcycle and those who already have one and are not switching back, more and more of the latter.
So are you avoiding those of us that know about running a CT, have researched them but have decided not to go to the darkside at this time? ;)

John

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
So are you avoiding those of us that know about running a CT, have researched them but have decided not to go to the darkside at this time? ;)

John
I am gonna pop me some popcorn and watch this one develop. :popcorn:

John, I value your opinion on this matter as we discussed this at Crater Lake. When this comment was made, I thought that there would be some MT users responding to that one.

·
Administrator
26,560 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:

John
Haven't met anyone that has researched it and not seen the "light".

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

Researching is one thing. Trying it out is another. To each his own, as long as you are happy. I don't think those of you who haven't tried it shouldn't knock it to those who want to try.

Can't speak to an individuals need to try one. But I can pose the question did anyone ever take one off and go back to a MT?

Again, to each his own. But why the sour grapes about trying it?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

jmcarthy wrote:
Researching is one thing. Trying it out is another. To each his own, as long as you are happy. I don't think those of you who haven't tried it shouldn't knock it to those who want to try.

Can't speak to an individuals need to try one. But I can pose the question did anyone ever take one off and go back to a MT?

I have 12,500 miles on a dark side tire and I am happy with it and wouldn't go back. I recently purchased an 05 Honda Silverwing and will follow many from that forum who have gone to the darkside on that motorcycle too.

However, the fact remains that the majority of motorcyclist are running MT and will continue to do so because it is their choice to do so. Many of them trust their tires through years of carving the canyons with their trusted E3 or whatever their flavor. It is faith in what works for them. And they have that choice to do so with respect without being called "old fashioned" or inhibited or whatever. They have peace of mind at using what works for them.

This debate brings more of an emotional response than necessary on both sides of the decision.

:congrats:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
This debate brings more of an emotional response than necessary on both sides of the decision.
Agreed! Just like the brand of MC tire you choose, this is a personal choice which requires due diligence and extensive research.

I would note that in my personal experience (not internet dialogs) it seems the folks who seem most vehement about this subject are those that "feel" I have somehow violated some preconceived notion they have about how car tires actually behave at speed.

They cover all the hot spots in a descending order of priority and rationality:

1. Car tires are square!
2. That has got to handle like h377!
3. That "just ain't right!"
4. How do you get that thing inspected.

(I have actually been rejected on this basis once... upon which, the state of Texas intervened an "pulled the papers" on that dealer. Which oddly, is no longer in business.)

and the "whopper" that most of them just can't seem to overcome is...

5. What does your insurance guy say about that?

(Insurance companies have to operate by the letter of the law. IE; weight, speed rating and thread depth. PERIOD! This is the LAW here in Texas.)

"They" all claim I am going to "crash and burn a fiery death"... but yet every argument "they" have, pretty much evaporates in the light of hard data and personal experience.

For me... it's all about the math! I cannot afford to replace tires at the rate mainstream MCs require. Darksiding allows me to spend MORE time and resources touring and less time farting around with all the issues and failures associated with MC tires. And CT "Run On Flat" technology is proven on this very forum... Kit Carson has some awesome posts here. Check it out and read... read... and read some more...

Reading this webpage... years ago completely convinced me:

http://www.lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

In the Valkyrie world... dark-siding is now pretty much mainstream.

I have also noted that my service guy who mounts my tires for years now... has stopped raising an eyebrow at my choices and has started asking more questions about how I like any specific brand or application. He claims he is mounting more and more CTs on MCs.

Eventually, we all make our own choices.

[align=center]"Once down the path to the darkside you begin,
Forever will it dominate your destiny!"

Yoda, A long, long time ago...
[/align]

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

hummmmm. . .

By the looks and sounds of this MT vs CT, maybe someone should be appointed to debate this in Congress?

:coollep:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

i guess the only thing i would wonder about is going around a corner .because of no tread on the side an a ct.like on the dragon tail .would like to do that some day....thanks for all the the answers from all of you ..........rich

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

richr wrote:
i guess the only thing i would wonder about is going around a corner .because of no tread on the side an a ct.like on the dragon tail ...
> It's a Non-issue... a CT corners every bit as fast as a cycle tire*

That being said, some CT's (ex: Wintersport) will wear the edges out faster than the center due to having less tread there... That will be a non-issue for your side car application, because of course you are not leaning at all.

*This past weekend I had my wife out on a ride (her first in awhile)... I took a 2-lane freeway round-about pretty fast, passing every car and leaned all the way over... she was like "Whooooo... a little too fast there ?!?"... and I said nope, I'm just getting pretty confident on the traction of this Wintersport... it sticks like glue.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
richr wrote:
i guess the only thing i would wonder about is going around a corner .because of no tread on the side an a ct.like on the dragon tail ...
> It's a Non-issue... a CT corners every bit as fast as a cycle tire*

That being said, some CT's (ex: Wintersport) will wear the edges out faster than the center due to having less tread there... That will be a non-issue for your side car application, because of course you are not leaning at all.

*This past weekend I had my wife out on a ride (her first in awhile)... I took a 2-lane freeway round-about pretty fast, passing every car and leaned all the way over... she was like "Whooooo... a little too fast there ?!?"... and I said nope, I'm just getting pretty confident on the traction of this Wintersport... it sticks like glue.
... and STOPS on a dime... holding you straight while it does it!!

Ditto...

I have seen tire trails left by myself and others as we screeded through low water crossing followed immediately by a sharp turn here in Texas... and generally speaking, the contact patch of the CTs exceeded the MC's by a considerable width.
Sidewall deflection really comes into play here...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

jmcarthy wrote:

I always find it interesting how quickly somedarksiders want to think there is an argument anytime anything is said that is not is support of their choice. Take a look at what I said again. DaveO stated;
"I meet 2 types of people when out riding. Those who have never heard of using a car tire on a motorcycle and those who already have one and are not switching back, more and more of the latter."

I simply asked the question if he was avoiding us that have researched it and decided not to go that direction, and it should also include those that know what it is but haven't researched it and are still running MT's. His statement implies that the only people not running CT's have never heard of darksiding and I'm stating that's simply not true. There are lots of us that have heard of it that simply have not chosen to go there, likely a lot more than there are running CT's based on the number of MT's I see on bikes compared to CT's. I offered no debate on which is better. That's been debated over and over on lots of threads on lots of forums. I wasn't knocking darksiding in any way nor was there any "sour grapes", read again what I said. I was simply calling him on a statement that is either not true or that his "meetings" are very limited.

John

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.