Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi gang- thanks for your help already and i have not even been a member a week yet. I just finished a refurb on an 86 Concours and now i am starting on my first Wing. I am SO >>>> tempted to make this a Dark Wing- ( you know, blacked out, single or double small head lights, the drag bike wing look, painted Hot Rod Black etc... . I saw one on another site and i have always thought they were cool and VERY unusual.

What are your thoughts- refurb the 81 Standard with the Honda Fairing and Bates Bags and take it back to useable shape that way or go DARK!

Thanks , I would also like you to consider resale value since i do this mainly to stay busy and i love it but also to make a few bucks.

Thanks

jeff

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Since you asked, I prefer OEM looks. I've seen some cool looking customizations, but I like stock. Now that you have MY opinion, does that help? :)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Im with brianinmaine , Why change it to look like something that it is not.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

depends on the function desired. Are you wanting a highway cruiser or something fun around town. It's an either or decision. I've seen some GW bobbers that look pretty cool, but u cant take them cross country easily.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
imported post

I am like the other wing riders here it's what pleases you and what do you want, but why not take door number three older wings are plentiful get a second one. If you have room and finances have one of each a dark wing ang a stock wing one to cruise the byways the other for fun around town.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

In my honest opinion a standard bike in concourse condition looks very classy.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

It is partly going to depend on what you paid for the Wing in the first place. If you got it for close to free, then if you customise it, you may make a few bucks, but if it wasn't that cheap, then probably gathering the correct bits and restoring it to it's origional spec would end up being theslightly more profitable route.

If you had said that it was purely for your own enjoyment, then the world is your oyster and I would say, do whatever floats your boat. :action:

Whichever way you decide to go, don't forget to catalogue the project and show us what you achieve. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
imported post

My opinion is, since she's a Standard and born "nekkid", keep her that way!! I've allway's had a hankering for either a '75 GL1000 or an '84 Standard to keep my Ltd Ed company in my garage. Poorboy's got one of the best looking '84 Standard's that I've ever seen and I told him I'm the first in line to buy it if he ever decides to sell her!!

A Standard Goldwing is something that you don't often see on the road so I'd restore her to what she's supposed to be, IMHO!!:coollep:

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

It's up to you, the Standard ismore of a short run fun bike than the regular full fairing touring bike and generally the touring folks don't like the Standard, which I'm guessing is why Honda doesn't make them any more. My 84 Standard attracts lots of attention, most folks can't believe it's a Honda Goldwing, that's why I bought it. On another note downSouththe touring folks seldonwave but all the Harley riders wave, perhaps they think I riding a big Harley???:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
My opinion is, since she's a Standard and born "nekkid", keep her that way!! I've allway's had a hankering for either a '75 GL1000 or an '84 Standard to keep my Ltd Ed company in my garage. Poorboy's got one of the best looking '84 Standard's that I've ever seen and I told him I'm the first in line to buy it if he ever decides to sell her!!

A Standard Goldwing is something that you don't often see on the road so I'd restore her to what she's supposed to be, IMHO!!:coollep:
I totally agree. I am currently looking for an 84 standard to ride on short trips when I'm out with my buddies on cruisers.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks for all the opins. I am not sure you would call this a Standard but it is def not an Aspencade. I guess it is the 81 Version of an aspencade? I cannot remember if they came from the factory with the Honda fairing and Bates bags but thats what i have. Anyway, i will probably go the toruing way with this one . There is always more percieved value then the bike has a nice painted fairing , bags etc.... Maybe ill look for a 82 or 83 to do the Dark Wing thing as you guys say the carbs are better on those?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

downSouththe touring folks seldonwave but all the Harley riders wave, perhaps they think I riding a big Harley???:cheeky1:

Not true around here , the only time I don't really expect a wave back is on the big highways.
Of course a lot of HD guys won't wave at all.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If you are looking to flip it to make a buck or two, then clean it up and restore it. You wont get top dollar for your idea of a "dark wing". Some may think it's cool, but they wont give you top dollar. No mater how good it looks, unless you did it yourself, you don't know how well any of the work had been done. You could say that for a restore, but most of the time a restore includes factory parts.

If you want a dark wing and plan on keeping it aand riding it, then like others have said, make it yours. Do what ever you want to it.

I would love to take a 1100 standard and turn it into an 1100 Valkyrie :)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I am old school, and prefer it to look exactly as it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor, however 1 thing you have to consider with any project

WHAT DO YOU WANT?:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

#9 Man wrote:
thanks for all the opins. I am not sure you would call this a Standard but it is def not an Aspencade. I guess it is the 81 Version of an aspencade? I cannot remember if they came from the factory with the Honda fairing and Bates bags but thats what i have. ?
Go for it if that's what you'd like to do. If the bike were an 1100 Standard I'd say sell it or keep it original and get another one to modify because the Standards are fairly rare. A Standard Goldwing was one that came from the factory without bags, trunk or fairings. They are also one of the fastest of the breed possibly excluding the 1800. Harley Davidson owners quake at the sight of them if they know what they are. I hate to see a Standard with added fairings and stuff. I greatly regret selling the 1100 Standard that I had. There are lots of neglected early 'Wing baggers to modify.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
imported post

I think it would be difficult to make much money fixing up Old Wings unless you got them for next to nothing & they don't need much.

I would love be able to do it as a hobbie myself.

I'm with Exavid... I hope to rip this crap off my 81' someday & convert back to a Standard, she deserves a break from the extra weight & ugly Vetter fairing.

She does'nt complain about the weight, but I just want to treat her to some sport-bike like driving for the remainder of her life :action:

Those OEM parts ( bucket,signals, etc, can be tough to find at a decent price )

But I'll keep looking & hopefully the timing will be right someday with my checkbook :readit:

So, do what you like... You could probably sell the Hondaline fairing to help off-set cost of whatever you decide

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

well- thanks again for the enlightenment. I guess i do not have a standard but a bike with Hondline fairing and bates bags. Just so everyone knows i paid 300.00 for it and it did fire up although briefly. I am going to go thru the Randakk check list this weekend and see if can get her running before i tear into it. It rusty and crusty but already looking better. In todays economy i have to do this to make some xtra but it beats arguing with the wife about what to watch on TV!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.