Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may recall when T.J. Tennent, the ex-VP of Global Engineering for a major tire manufacturer appeared on the Adventure Rider Radio podcast and shared his thoughts on darksiding, as well as mentioning his new business that educates insurance companies on what darksiding is, and how to include it in their "assessment of coverage".

He has appeared again in a more recent episode, and from the sound of it, there is more activity going on to educate first responders, accident investigators, and insurance companies on what darksiding is.

I don't care about darksiding one way or another, but I thought this was a good data point for anyone researching the concept.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
I pay no attention to anyone who hasn't put several thousand miles on one. You can theorize & quote technical jargon all you want but it means nothing until you do it for yourself.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
I agree,
the technical theories are all hogwash, and until that guy has put several thousand miles under his butt riding with a CT, I will ignore him.

matter of fact, never have heard his name before today.

as for 1st Responders?
WTH should they even care what type of rubber meets the road?
they are there to help the injured, not repair, or evaluate the conveyance.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
And if anyone attributes the use of one on a motorcycle to an accident they are full of BS.

·
1,716 Posts
I pay no attention to anyone who hasn't put several thousand miles on one. You can theorize & quote technical jargon all you want but it means nothing until you do it for yourself.
Yes, one must learn from one's own experiences. I drove about 20,000 miles on a Run Flat CT winter tire and the good thing was that I rarely had trouble pulling my trailer out of wet lawns at the campgrounds. :)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I have never ran a CT on any of my bikes but when I see video's of the contact patch of a CT when you lean a bike into the curves it scares me. Good foir those that run them and like it, To each his own.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
I have never ran a CT on any of my bikes but when I see video's of the contact patch of a CT when you lean a bike into the curves it scares me. Good foir those that run them and like it, To each his own.
Someone did a comparison somehow and the car tire had a slightly narrower but longer contact patch and was actually larger in area. It gives me way more confidence in corners.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
I agree with Dave,
with the E3s on my 1800, the rear of the bike was loose at every opportunity, a slight bit of sand, or gravel, and it turned loose and went for the ditches.

after my car tire was mounted, it never did that again. the RF car tires with the all season treads have a lot more adhesion to the surface than any m/c tire made.

I have an E4 on the back of my 1800, come Monday it will have another car tire on it...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
The CT at the rear of my GL1500 always felt planted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Everyone is an "Expert" when it comes to Motorcycle tyres....:D

I have an explanation for "Expert".

They probably don't want to know.....!!!:ROFLMAO:.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
Everyone is an "Expert" when it comes to Motorcycle tyres....:D

I have an explanation for "Expert".

They probably don't want to know.....!!!:ROFLMAO:.
"a has been" and a "drip from a faucet"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts