Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello... I'm getting ready to mount my Dunlop runflat ( CT ). I don't think carrying a piece of wood so i can use my center stand is what I want to do. My question is... can I shorten the center stand 3/4 to 1 inch? Seems easy enough. Cut it off and reweld the pads. Maybe even powdercoat it. How about the ride on stand? Are they shorter? Thanks as always. 88gl1500 68000 mi

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't cut the stand. They are tubular and you won't be able to weld it as strong as it is now. Cutting the pads off and rewelding might be better, but it won't give you the 1" you are looking for.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yep, carrying a small block of wood is not a big deal, cut one end (or both ends) on a bevel, you can also use it under the side stand on soft surfaces. ;)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The ride on stands are shorter, but lack the beveled edge to rock up on manually, makes it a tad harder manually. I use a piece of 1/2" plywood(9 lams) under the c-stand to get the back tire off the ground for serviceing. A good welder could shorten the stock setup if necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Yep, carrying a small block of wood is not a big deal, cut one end (or both ends) on a bevel, you can also use it under the side stand on soft surfaces. ;)

You could even put a small hole in it and fit a chain and wear it around your neck

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be afraid to take a chunk out of each side of the stand, andMIG it back together. I believe it's juststeel - not heat treated, you could make it as strong as the original.

I'd probably grab a cheap, used c-stand on eBay to mess with - that way you still have a stocker incase you don't like the extra revs from the shorter tire, or you eventually sell the machine.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Tank4300

The only size that will fit the gl1500 in a runflat. I did find a Dunlop Austone taxi tire

175/r16 that is the same height, but not available in U.S. yet.

So shorten the center stand ???

And all my Harley friends will want to know how I lowered a wing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.