Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am about to go to the Darkside. Can't wait for the cookies. ;)

I just got my Austone Taxi tire in today. I already have the old tire off. And I was wondering if I have the right flap to pull out of the way? If so, that looks easy.

While I have the wheel out, it will be the best time to do it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
Yep, that's the one.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Personally, I would leave that flap there. It keeps dirt/water/junk from caking the top of the swingarm (leading to rust) and crap off the heat sink and related in the frame. I drilled a small hole on the flat portion and ran a zip tie up to the fram to pull the rear portion of the fender up/back just a smidge and have not had any rubbing issues.
Just an opinion. Like certain body parts - we all have one.
;)

·
life is good
1,192 Posts
Personally, I would leave that flap there. It keeps dirt/water/junk from caking the top of the swingarm (leading to rust) and crap off the heat sink and related in the frame. I drilled a small hole on the flat portion and ran a zip tie up to the fram to pull the rear portion of the fender up/back just a smidge and have not had any rubbing issues.
;)
do this..:)

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;)
I wasn't planning on removing it. I just wanted to make sure I had found the piece that folks are talking about. Guess one piece of confusion on my part are comments about "rear portion" and "pull back". But, I'm unconfused now.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Since it is taller it tends to rub a bit on good bumps or with heavy loads, and it seems to be concentrated to the lower portion of the rear fender. Some just let it do its thing. Others cut it off. Others simply move it a bit (my choice).

There are several threads on this if you search the site.

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post. I just would hate to see a fella remove something and later wish it had remained. When I do my annual maintenance tear down here very soon I will try to remamber to post a pic.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I pulled mine back out of the way too. I also formed a shield out of thin sheet metal to keep road junk off of the components there. While it wasn't necessary, it helps keeping stuff clean.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Glad this was posted. I thought it was the upper part of the fender that was to be tied back. Need to pay better attention. I'll be installing my first CT in the next week or two.
Thanks for the post

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took my first spin with the CT. And I'm getting the rubbing when the bike bottom outs on bumps. I pulled the rubber flap out of the way. Running about 60# in the shocks and 45# in the tire. I'm thinking that something other than the rubber needs to move.

But, the traction seems to be better. But, that could just be any new tire would feel better. I only rode it a few miles around town. Feels nice. Just need to get rid of the rub.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I went and re-read some of the other posts about the fender. Went out to the garage and tore into it again. This time I took out the battery and battery box. While my picture show the right area, it doesn't show where you need to pull it back. If you remove the battery box, you will see a horizontal piece of the fender. This is where you drill the hole and use the zip tie. The red arrow shows the basic spot. The arrow on the left is behind the fuse block. I'll probably pull that soon and put a tie over there.

Took it for a quick spin. And the rub is gone. :)

Attachments

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
OK, I went and re-read some of the other posts about the fender. Went out to the garage and tore into it again. This time I took out the battery and battery box. While my picture show the right area, it doesn't show where you need to pull it back. If you remove the battery box, you will see a horizontal piece of the fender. This is where you drill the hole and use the zip tie. The red arrow shows the basic spot. The arrow on the left is behind the fuse block. I'll probably pull that soon and put a tie over there.

Yes! Exactly!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had to zip tie the upper potion of my fender (right under the seat) to keep it in an upper most position. I was experiencing rubbing on the top of the fender when going over bumps in addition to the rubbing on that little flap mentioned in previous posts. Another Forum member has had similar problems (and removed his Austone in the end) with fender rubbing and posted a pic. I had the same rub marks and ones up high as well.

My zip ties pulled the fenders 'out' about 1/4" and I've had no rubbing since at any air pressure, suspension pressure or riding configuration (solo or 2-up).

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Now you can consider lowering shock pressure a bit to improve the ride, maybe play with the tire pressure a bit, too.
I start vacation Friday morning myself and will tear the bike down this next week. It will be the first time I remove the Austone so I can look at stuff. As I mentioned in a previous post, I will be posting pics (black and white infrared of course) of the drive splines and such since I do not use moly on them.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Definetly move back the flap and ensure adjustment of the fender pieces.
I went a little further and reshaped the front and a couple 'high points' in the upper portion of the fender using a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
There have been many times in my life when I was confused. They all pale in comparison. I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Chief

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
There have been many times in my life when I was confused. They all pale in comparison. I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Chief

That's 'cuz you got bike tires on your bike...
:raspberry:

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
OK, I went and re-read some of the other posts about the fender. Went out to the garage and tore into it again. This time I took out the battery and battery box. While my picture show the right area, it doesn't show where you need to pull it back. battery box, you will see a horizontal piece of the fender. This is whyou drill the hole and use the zip tie.ereIf you remove the The red arrow shows the basic spot. The arrow on the left is behind the fuse block. I'll probably pull that soon and put a tie over there.

Exactly!

You got it bud.I drilled a hole in the horizonal piece of the fender sticking out toward to front of the bike and ran a heavy duty zip tie forward around the swingarm pivot bar.I only pulled the fender forward a 1/4-3/8".I found out by pulling it too much deforms the TOP of the fender and causes a rub on the sides near the TOP.
I can ride two-up without ANY air in my shocks and cannot make
it rub at all,and my wife is kinda fat.;)

OASN,my Austone now has 2200 miles on it and you can't tell it has been over fifty miles. I absolutly love it,not to mention the ride.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.