Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just acquired a 98 Gl/Sidecar rig. It's going to need tires and soon. What is the current choice for the rear? A search here brought up a recommendation for the Austone Taxi tire.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Don't know if its good for a sidecar rig, but I sure love my Austone taxi tire on my 95 Gl1500se. Super stable in the rain and on dry roads. Great mileage. When I wear out the current one, I will get another

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the Austone also. It's about an inch taller than a stock tire. For those of us who do a lot of cross country riding it's like having overdrive. The engine turns only about 3,000 rpm at 75 mph. As great as that is for us, it may feel like the gearing is too tall with your sidecar. You may be more interested in a 195/55R16 which I can't speak for because I've never run that size. The Austone is 175/80R16. A tire very similar to that in size is 185/75R16. The 195/55R16 also comes in the run on flat with very stiff sidewalls. Folks will be along any minute now to give you some insight based on experience on these tires. What ever your choice of tire, you are going to love your bike, the ride and the adventures it takes you on.

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
I do not believe you will get the 195/55R16 to fit in the swingarm or to fit the narrow wheel.
When I was riding a 1500 I did use a Dunlop ROF DSST WinterSport 175/60 R16. This is a run flat tire. For a while it was not available but it seems I recently did see it advertised. You might try TireRack or look at Canadian suppliers which might still have winter tires in stock. This tire is just a tad shorter than the stock bike tire, which may work well with the added load of the hack.

·
Administrator
24,402 Posts
I do not believe you will get the 195/55R16 to fit in the swingarm or to fit the narrow wheel.
That's what I was thinking. Perfect size for an 1800 but too wide for a 1500.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 195/55/16 on a 1500 rim/ final drive on a 1200 swingarm in a 1000 frame, however the frame has been bobbed. It would probably have issues hitting somewhere in stock form.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be feeling my way on this one. The ability to drop the RPM with a different size tire sounds attractive. I'm sure that it's gonna be a gas hog with this two seater hack on it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be feeling my way on this one. The ability to drop the RPM with a different size tire sounds attractive. I'm sure that it's gonna be a gas hog with this two seater hack on it.

Nice looking rig.

There is also a forum here specifically for Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars. It may be a sub forum of the Technical Forum. I'm sure you will find more people who share the same issues and concerns as you on that one.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking rig.

There is also a forum here specifically for Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars. It may be a sub forum of the Technical Forum. I'm sure you will find more people who share the same issues and concerns as you on that one.
Thanks. I searched there before posting here. Seems to be mostly Trikes and not much usage.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I agree - I tried putting a 195 on my '94 but decided to do some measuring before I went to the trouble of mounting the tire. The swingarm has about 185 mm of clearance so a 195 mm tire is going to be a tight fit! I ended up with the Austone and it fits great. I've heard that they are no longer being shipped to the US, and the only distributor has about 10 left so if you want one you better order it quickly!

·
Registered
131 Posts

I agree - I tried putting a 195 on my '94 but decided to do some measuring before I went to the trouble of mounting the tire. The swingarm has about 185 mm of clearance so a 195 mm tire is going to be a tight fit! I ended up with the Austone and it fits great. I've heard that they are no longer being shipped to the US, and the only distributor has about 10 left so if you want one you better order it quickly!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

I've run both the Austone and the Dunlop WinterSport.
There is Zero mileage (mpg) difference between the two, despite the different rpm's at cruise due to different tire diameters. The Austone lasted 30k, and the WinterSports 20k

That said, I prefer the (smaller) Wintersport's ride... and (not applicable to a trike) it makes the bike easier to get on/off off.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've heard guys with 1500s say that they are running the 195. Although it is a tad wider, it is also smaller in diameter. The widest part of the tire is at a wider part of the swing arm. However, I have proven to myself that my memory is not to be trusted. I wouldn't expect anybody else to put their trust in it either.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which distributor has the Austone? I can't find one anywhere.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Which distributor has the Austone? I can't find one anywhere.

They were originally available from universaltire.com but they no longer have them. Then simpletire.com had them but are out of stock. That is why I suggested the Zeetex as an alternative since it is about the same size. I cannot vouch for it though because I'm still running my Austone and know nothing about the wear or handling of the Zeetex.

Universal has a Dunlop very similar to the Austone and they claim to have 2 in stock. https://www.universaltire.com/175r16-dunlop-taxi-black.html

Expensive as hell though.

·
Administrator
57,500 Posts
They were originally available from universaltire.com but they no longer have them. Then simpletire.com had them but are out of stock. That is why I suggested the Zeetex as an alternative since it is about the same size. I cannot vouch for it though because I'm still running my Austone and know nothing about the wear or handling of the Zeetex.

Universal has a Dunlop very similar to the Austone and they claim to have 2 in stock. https://www.universaltire.com/175r16-dunlop-taxi-black.html

actually. universaltire.com still has them, and are going to continue to have them.
I saw a post on *.Docs about this, and the WebMaster screwed up.

Call them on the phone, they have them in stock.

·
New Sidecar guy
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Really! $221 plus $50 shipping. Yikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I got my 195/55/16 I measured it before mounting and thought, “ No way in hello.” It was definitely too wide, but after mounting it and airing it up, it fit easily. It was 1/2-3/4” narrower than off the rim. Okay, it didn’t fit easily but it has 1/4-3/8” on each side of the 1200 swingarm. I’m quite sure it would fit the 1500 swingarm but would interfere above. Mine has a top mounted fuel tank so I have less trouble.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow, now THAT's a SIDEcar... and that tail light is very, very suggestive of an upside-down Porsche 944 tail light unit...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts