Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Darkside questions

12K views 96 replies 19 participants last post by  MysticFour 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a car tire by midweek. I see a lot use runflat and a lot don't. Is this just a personal preference or has any had flats on their darkside tire? I know it happens, I just don't hear about it. I am not into twistees or aggressive riding. Is there a reason for runflat other than piece of mind? Will be my 1st foray into the darkside and I want to be cost effective but without huge learning curve if I can help it.
From what I read if you have flat on runflat that you should replace it, not repair. Help me decide please

#2 ·
this is just my personal opinion. I have been running darkside for years now on my 1500 and love it, will never go back. don't mind that I have a side car I rode for a few years on 2 wheels darkside before I added the car
OK to my point, my BOL has an 1800 and he went darkside, he went with the wider tire, I'm guessing there are a couple options, anyway I rode it one day and really hated it. the tire he used was wide enough that I could really feel it lift up onto it's edges and then when it went back to the flat of the tire, it was a bit awkward for me and felt unstable. I know strange coming from someone that loves darkside but I would not have kept that tire on my bike. so what I'm trying to say is get more input as to which tire ride more like the motorcycle tire. us 1500 riders only have a couple choices and it looks like we can't get that 195 into our swing arm
Oh and I loved the run flat but it is almost if not completely imposible to mount yourself with hand tools, but I'm on my 3rd non run flat and to date never had a failure

#3 ·
That is what I am looking for, others opinions, that's also why I said I prefer no huge learning curve, something that will ride close to a motorcycle ride, I know I can't get real close but I was told pirelli p1, I just need to find out if runflat is something I should go with, or if its preferred because of twisties or aggressive riding style

#5 ·
I have read several times that a rear MC tire flat is more common than the front. Unverified theorem is the front will stand up a piece of FOD to "aim" it at rear tire. No idea if any of this is true but I went with run flat because I could. Think of a MC jacket. If unpadded and fully armored are same price why think twice?

But, due to the stiffer sidewall, most folks will use lower pressure in a run flat tire. I am using a Bridgestone Driveguard Zero Pressure (run flat) at 31psig cold. Much more info here: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-darkside-riders/

#6 ·
I've read the same thing, I know you drive on it a ways while flat but is it worth the extra money to have as runflat? Need to replace it either way don't you? I know it would be easier to find a non runflat in an emergency, but I know its going to cost of getting wherever you are getting it fixed.

#7 ·
I'm running an Avid Envigor RF on my 08 for a little over a year now with 18,000+ on it. I figure I've got another 10,000 miles left before I replace it. I've never had to run it flat but it is some piece of mind that I could slow down a bit and run 50-60 miles to get to a shop, as long that it wasn't from a deep wide cut. I carry a plug kit and pump on the Wing and depending on what caused the flat and where it was, I wouldn't normally hesitate to plug, air it up and go. I have an after market TPMS on the bike that gives me the pressure reading so I can keep a watch on it. 70% of my miles are 2 up (about 370lbs) with about half of that pulling the trailer. I like the fact that the gross max weight is more on the CT than the MT.
Lastly, there was a slight learning curve to this tire at speed. The first 50 miles or so I could tell that the CT was and is more flat across the thread. I don't feel it at all now. Did I say that it was a SLIGHT learning curve? That being said, there is a definite leaning curve when it comes to slow speed rough parking lots. The tire does like to follow the right or left side into a pot hole, etc. I'm just a lot more vigalant in these situations in use of moving weight and leaning or just riding the pot hole straight on. Even so, this hasn't been a problem for me. I can't see myself ever going back to MC. Hope this answers that nagging question.

#9 ·
I have over 200,000 miles darkside and probably at least 12 tires. Most of them have been non RF but my favorite is the michelin alpin PA3 run flat (hard to find sometimes), the only run flats I have ever used. I didn't like 2 tires, 1 a general something I don't remember and a yokohama something, 195/55s. Have used multiple Michelin and BF Goodrich 205/55s and had good luck with them. I never had any problem handling the 205s but some people don't like them. A run flat I tried on someone else's bike I didn't like was a Kumho, it had a definite edge feeling to it, none of the other tires I used have had that feeling.

#11 ·
I began using a CT on my 1500 then continued to use them on the 1800. All my experience is with the Run Flats. As mentioned above the load rating was one of the factors in my decision. More tire life- price per mile was also a consideration. I wish I had as many miles on a CT as Dave but that's not the case. On the 1500 I used a Dunlop Wintersport 175/60-16 run flat. The 1800 came with a Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP 195/55-16. I have since replaced it with another Dunlop Wintersport run flat, 195/55-16.
I find the CT reacts to high or low spots such as where pavement seams run parallel to travel and you cross them. Mostly to me it's noticed only at low speed and was not a problem after the first 50/100 miles of learning the way the bike reacts with these tires.
It seems I like more air pressure than most . I run at 38/40. I use a Doran 360 TPMS on both tires.
I like the ride of the run flat as well as what I consider a safety factor . I can not say how a non run flat CT would be . I expect it would have a much softer sidewall .

#12 ·
I have purposely waited until you got a lot of replies, as you have been PMing me on my phone on this subject...............

I've only had 1 CT, a Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP 195/55-16

the part about them climbing to the highest pavement edge is true, and it is a bit bothersome to me. I also don't like it trying to standup in the twisties and steer to the outside edge of the road.... that depends on how fast you are riding, and of late, I ride slow.... at 77, my desire for keeping up with DaveO430 has evaporated :rofl:

as I have mentioned to you privately, of late, I am riding by myself mostly around home, and not out on the open roads at speed. Therefore, the low speed "bad vibes" of the RF CT bothers me and I took it off.

I am now running an E4 on the rear, still have the Avon Roadrider "rear tire" mounted on the front. It also bothered me at the suggested pressures, so I aired it up to 44 psi last Monday, and I also put the rear E4 at 43 psi.... once that was done, the bike rode like I expected it to, and stayed glued into turns like a normal M/C should.

all pressures measured with a brand new Digital combo gauge with trigger that airs the tire up.... ( how close is it to another gauge? dunno )

I suggest that you pick a tire that has the "most rounded edge" for your 1st car tire.
I also suggest that you choose a RF because a non-RF that goes flat is going to ruin your day. Unless you have an TPMS system so you don't get caught with the non-RF getting low on you.

a CT is a dream for fixing nails and screws, just plug it and go on until the tread is slick.

that's just my own 2 cents, and less than 5,000 miles total riding with the Michie on the rear.

I will say one thing about that Michie, it pulled my trailer 4,000 miles, and 500 of those were in rain, and it never once tried to hydroplane.... which is the reason I went to that tire, the E3 I used to have went sideways every time I opened the throttle in the wet.

Oh, the CT has twice the load rating of a M/C, and that is a huge plus with you riding double..... a big Safety Factor for you and your bride.

I am hoping the E4 has better manners.... guess I will find out on that this fall.

#13 ·
You mentioned roadside emergency repairs and possible trouble in finding a run flat. One thing that hasn't been mentioned but is talked about at length on this site, is that many tire shops will flat refuse to deal with car tires on motorcycles. So a big advantage with a run flat is you have some range to find local repairs. Still I would always keep a plug kit on the bike anyway.

#14 ·
on the 1800,

you just lay it over on the right side, take the wheel off,
and take it into any decent tire repair shop.

never been refused.
installed it by myself, could not get it off, took the wheel to the tire store, they pulled the CT off and put the E4 on. no problem....

might have helped that they are a Motorcycle family, the owner's are retired Dirt Racers.... :grin3:

#17 ·
Just by reading post, I think you are undecided about what tire to run. I would suggest that you run and other factory approved motorcycle tire. Before jumping into a car tire you should do more research on them. They are not for everyone i know people that have tried them and changed back within a 1,000 miles because it did not do as they expected. Just my thoughts.

#25 ·
I blew out a runflat, doing about 75-80 mph. I hit the remnants of a rollover on the interstate passing Wisconsin Dells on a hot Sunday afternoon. That translates into bumper to bumper traffic, all going 80. I heard a pop and the back end did the slightest wiggle. I was able to ride to the nearest exit before pulling over. I had picked up a piece of what looked like a broken leaf spring. The tire was still up at normal ride height. I vote for run flats. In my case, it was a Dunlop WinterSport.

#26 ·
Ok, this is exactly what I was wanting to know, I am definitely getting the runflat. Planned to get it this week but home repairs came up and that's a priority. Wasn't going to put it on the bike until down for the season anyhow. So maybe if I keep an eye out I can catch them on sale.

#27 ·
Everyone has their preferences. Mine? I use a standard tire with Ride-On extra strength fill (more than standard version, There is a chart that shows standard or extra sturdy). The Ride On has dual purposes. 1. It eliminates the need for balancing. 2. It is a on the go fix a flat instantly. I like the performance of the standard tire and I use a stickier compound that gets maybe 15K (usually 10-12k) before replacement. Just my choice.
Everyone doesn't need to go dark side, its just another option.

#29 ·
I chose the Pirelli Snow Control run flat for my 1800.
Got about 1500 miles on it so far. Probably half of that in rain ranging from a sprinkle to a downpour ( because I can't ride in Arkansas unless it rains, apparently )
I have to say I'm very happy with it. There is definitely a learning curve to get used to the wonky slow speed response to uneven ground like parking lots and such.
Maybe a bit more input on curves at speed, but it didn't take 100 miles to get used to it. The snow control has a slightly rounded profile so I haven't noticed it "breaking over" in a turn.
I like the higher load rating and the run flat capability.
Any greater mileage over a MC tire is a bonus, but not really a factor in my decision. I did my research prior to going darkside. I read a lot of "you will die in a fiery crash" and " it won't stay on the rim" comments but no fact based evidence to support those claims.
I have seen several reports of crashes caused by sudden failure of MC tires.

I think I'll stay with the snow control.

#30 ·
Any greater mileage over a MC tire is a bonus, but not really a factor in my decision. I did my research prior to going darkside. I read a lot of "you will die in a fiery crash" and " it won't stay on the rim" comments but no fact based evidence to support those claims.
I have seen several reports of crashes caused by sudden failure of MC tires.

I think I'll stay with the snow control.
you will notice all the Dooms Day Naysayers have never once tried a CT on their bike....

I used to have the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 RF ZP on my bike, pulled a trailer all one summer, and a lot of that in the rain.... it never hydroplaned once.... where as the Dunlop E3 went sideways on wet pavement every time I opened the throttle in 5th gear trying to get around a semi .... I hate the water spray from their wheels.

My Avatar picture was taken in the rain, just as I was leaving my son's home in Dawsonville, Georgia headed back to Oklahoma. rode in the rain all that day, and the next.

#32 ·
Been watching prices on pirelli p1 runflat but the price seems to be going up. I was looking at the snow control runflat and seriously thinking about getting it. I saw that someone from another forum had used it. Would take a few miles to get used to it but I know I can. Won't start using it until next riding season. Will be all new rubber, front tire is now solidly at the wear bars. Going double dark for the new season, I think I will go with the BT45, I think that's what it is. Just need to know what size I need for the front in that tire.

#35 ·
I was thinking about the BT45 because it's what I remember seeing people use. The rear tire is still same sized for using on front? I haven't looked that far yet but what kind of mileage are you getting on yours John? I am open to looking at others, I just happen to remember that BT45

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.