21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Premium Member
12,705 Posts
Need to replace it either way don't you?

I was referring to a runflat, I was reading that you are not supposed to repair those, never had runflat on anything so I only know what I read about them. Has anyone tried to repair 1?
I have not read that, but then I haven't been looking for that information. I would say without a working TPMS , I might have a concern if the tire went flat. That concern would be how many miles have i been riding a flat tire . They do have a very stiff sidewall. Without TPMS you might ride much more than the umm, 50ish miles they say is OK .

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I blew out a runflat, doing about 75-80 mph. I hit the remnants of a rollover on the interstate passing Wisconsin Dells on a hot Sunday afternoon. That translates into bumper to bumper traffic, all going 80. I heard a pop and the back end did the slightest wiggle. I was able to ride to the nearest exit before pulling over. I had picked up a piece of what looked like a broken leaf spring. The tire was still up at normal ride height. I vote for run flats. In my case, it was a Dunlop WinterSport.

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I blew out a runflat, doing about 75-80 mph. I hit the remnants of a rollover on the interstate passing Wisconsin Dells on a hot Sunday afternoon. That translates into bumper to bumper traffic, all going 80. I heard a pop and the back end did the slightest wiggle. I was able to ride to the nearest exit before pulling over. I had picked up a piece of what looked like a broken leaf spring. The tire was still up at normal ride height. I vote for run flats. In my case, it was a Dunlop WinterSport.
Ok, this is exactly what I was wanting to know, I am definitely getting the runflat. Planned to get it this week but home repairs came up and that's a priority. Wasn't going to put it on the bike until down for the season anyhow. So maybe if I keep an eye out I can catch them on sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Everyone has their preferences. Mine? I use a standard tire with Ride-On extra strength fill (more than standard version, There is a chart that shows standard or extra sturdy). The Ride On has dual purposes. 1. It eliminates the need for balancing. 2. It is a on the go fix a flat instantly. I like the performance of the standard tire and I use a stickier compound that gets maybe 15K (usually 10-12k) before replacement. Just my choice.
Everyone doesn't need to go dark side, its just another option.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Ok, this is exactly what I was wanting to know, I am definitely getting the runflat. Planned to get it this week but home repairs came up and that's a priority. Wasn't going to put it on the bike until down for the season anyhow. So maybe if I keep an eye out I can catch them on sale.
I meant to add that I mount them with one of those red tire changers from Harbor Freight and a can of Pledge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I chose the Pirelli Snow Control run flat for my 1800.
Got about 1500 miles on it so far. Probably half of that in rain ranging from a sprinkle to a downpour ( because I can't ride in Arkansas unless it rains, apparently )
I have to say I'm very happy with it. There is definitely a learning curve to get used to the wonky slow speed response to uneven ground like parking lots and such.
Maybe a bit more input on curves at speed, but it didn't take 100 miles to get used to it. The snow control has a slightly rounded profile so I haven't noticed it "breaking over" in a turn.
I like the higher load rating and the run flat capability.
Any greater mileage over a MC tire is a bonus, but not really a factor in my decision. I did my research prior to going darkside. I read a lot of "you will die in a fiery crash" and " it won't stay on the rim" comments but no fact based evidence to support those claims.
I have seen several reports of crashes caused by sudden failure of MC tires.

I think I'll stay with the snow control.

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
Any greater mileage over a MC tire is a bonus, but not really a factor in my decision. I did my research prior to going darkside. I read a lot of "you will die in a fiery crash" and " it won't stay on the rim" comments but no fact based evidence to support those claims.
I have seen several reports of crashes caused by sudden failure of MC tires.

I think I'll stay with the snow control.
you will notice all the Dooms Day Naysayers have never once tried a CT on their bike....

I used to have the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 RF ZP on my bike, pulled a trailer all one summer, and a lot of that in the rain.... it never hydroplaned once.... where as the Dunlop E3 went sideways on wet pavement every time I opened the throttle in 5th gear trying to get around a semi .... I hate the water spray from their wheels.

My Avatar picture was taken in the rain, just as I was leaving my son's home in Dawsonville, Georgia headed back to Oklahoma. rode in the rain all that day, and the next.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, our 15 day ride through the smoky mountains and Myrtle Beach this past June we had 13 days of at least a light shower and a few days of heavy rain.
I was on an Avon Cobra.

I ordered the snow control the day we returned.

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Been watching prices on pirelli p1 runflat but the price seems to be going up. I was looking at the snow control runflat and seriously thinking about getting it. I saw that someone from another forum had used it. Would take a few miles to get used to it but I know I can. Won't start using it until next riding season. Will be all new rubber, front tire is now solidly at the wear bars. Going double dark for the new season, I think I will go with the BT45, I think that's what it is. Just need to know what size I need for the front in that tire.

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
I think I will go with the BT45, I think that's what it is. Just need to know what size I need for the front in that tire.
it was suggested to me to go with the Avon Roadrider rear tire on the front, mounted backwards.

I have it set at 43 psi.

So far, doing well.

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was thinking about the BT45 because it's what I remember seeing people use. The rear tire is still same sized for using on front? I haven't looked that far yet but what kind of mileage are you getting on yours John? I am open to looking at others, I just happen to remember that BT45

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
The rear tire is still same sized for using on front?
Your front tire is a 130/70 18, that is the size you will replace it with. It is a rear tire for a small sport bike, not a goldwing.

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
I was thinking about the BT45 because it's what I remember seeing people use. The rear tire is still same sized for using on front? I haven't looked that far yet but what kind of mileage are you getting on yours John? I am open to looking at others, I just happen to remember that BT45
I will never wear it out, just don't ride like I used to anymore, temps over 80F is where I quit.

·
big PIA
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I've been around lurking, just haven't had a lot to say. I did get a tpms system to use with my new setup. Looking forward to hopefully make the next midwest meet and greet, depending where and when

21 - 40 of 48 Posts