Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ordered a Yokohama tire today, should be here Friday.
When I bring the tire and wheel to a tire place, do I need to tell them about the TPMS? Also what about balancing? I see some use those beads inside the tire, but I have read where it can interfere with TPMS.
Is there anything else I need to know before going to the shop?
Thanks

·
life is good
1,155 Posts
Rode last night and hit 5,000 miles now on this CT. Not bad for just over one month on it. Nipples on left side of tire are gone and the right is almost scrubbed.

Starting to practice low speed cornering. Left isn't hard to scrape the pegs, but right turns take a little more effort. Car tire is holding up to the test!
i thought my wife and i rode a lot . 5000 in a month is riding a lot LOL !:claps:

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When I bring the tire and wheel to a tire place, do I need to tell them about the TPMS? Also what about balancing? I see some use those beads inside the tire, but I have read where it can interfere with TPMS.
Is there anything else I need to know before going to the shop?
Thanks
Any Takers?

·
1,566 Posts
Yes, do tell them about the TPMS.
I don't know about beads interfering.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i thought my wife and i rode a lot . 5000 in a month is riding a lot LOL !:claps:

That isn't a norm. I had a few trips and also took off on a 2000 mile iron butt ride. Waiting for it to be certified yet. Kind of funny that I delivered a pre bought motorcycle tire while learning the CT. Love the tire and returned from a trip this weekend. No issues again.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1) If someone here used the tire beads how many ounces did you put in the rear?
2) Also what beads did you use?
3) I looked on Amazon and I see beads that people have used for their 1800 but they are all complaining about the tube to that goes over the valve is too big. What did you all do?
4) I found a shop that will put my tire on for $7.50. I assume that I go ahead and let them air the new tire up and then when I get home let the air out and put the beads in the tire. Is this correct?
5) The Dunlop MT I took off is 180 60 16, the new tire is 195 55 16, am I going to have any issues or will the width and height on the new tire be about the same as the old?
I have my rear tire off. I put it on the lift and removed tire. The tire looks bad, it has thread, but it is way more worn on one side and it has rides where the tread is deepest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1) If someone here used the tire beads how many ounces did you put in the rear? 3 oz in the rear, 2 in front.
2) Also what beads did you use? I used Dynabeads
3) I looked on Amazon and I see beads that people have used for their 1800 but they are all complaining about the tube to that goes over the valve is too big. What did you all do? I had the guys put them in the tire as they mounted it. Not sure, but I don't think they lost any
4) I found a shop that will put my tire on for $7.50. I assume that I go ahead and let them air the new tire up and then when I get home let the air out and put the beads in the tire. Is this correct?
5) The Dunlop MT I took off is 180 60 16, the new tire is 195 55 16, am I going to have any issues or will the width and height on the new tire be about the same as the old? I could not get mine up in the fender well on a stand. But I'm pretty sure others do. I laid the bike over and it fell right in.
I have my rear tire off. I put it on the lift and removed tire. The tire looks bad, it has thread, but it is way more worn on one side and it has rides where the tread is deepest.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank You Very Much for clearing these last few questions up for me.
I did order the beads, they will be here in a few days. I will wait and bring the beads with me to the tire shop and hopefully they will have done the beads before.
Again Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts
A 195/55 fits in pretty easy, I ran 205s for a long time and they fit but it is a struggle getting them past the lug studs. Go straight up from the bottom and move the bottom of the tire to the right, push up then swing it to the left to button it in.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had to let the air out of the tire to get my 195 in. Could not get past the lugs without letting the air out.

·
Administrator
57,427 Posts
Thank You Very Much for clearing these last few questions up for me.
I did order the beads, they will be here in a few days. I will wait and bring the beads with me to the tire shop and hopefully they will have done the beads before.
Again Thanks!

Our local tire shops around here are using the beads all the time.
Old hat to them.

My m/c repair shop got rid of his tire balancing machine, he will only use DynaBeads now.

buy a tire from him, you get DynaBeads with it.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My tire will be here today, but I have to wait on the beads.
Before I ordered the beads I called the local Honda dealer and I asked how much to balance my wheel and tire if I bring it in. The guy told me 50 bucks, a half hour of shop time, I laughed and and then ordered the beads.

Now I am thinking about the front tire.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My tire will be here today, but I have to wait on the beads.
Before I ordered the beads I called the local Honda dealer and I asked how much to balance my wheel and tire if I bring it in. The guy told me 50 bucks, a half hour of shop time, I laughed and and then ordered the beads.

Now I am thinking about the front tire.
Got the tire. It looks wide but I suppose once it gets squeezed onto the MT rim it'll be nearly the same width.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The guy that did my tire took one look at it and said no way will it fit. I told him to trust me and he said he would do anything once. In five minutes he was shocked and said he would do more from now on.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The anticipation is driving me nuts! What to expect, is there going to be any major quirks, etc. The beads should be here Monday, so Tuesday I should be abe to get tire mounted and back on the bike. In the mean time I am left driving my Jeep and wasting valuable gas. :(

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have the Yokohama tire on and went riding. It feels fine, corners felt a bit odd at first especially left hand slower speed corners, right side felt a little different, but I adapted quickly. Going straight I could tell no appreciable difference except maybe a little smoother. High speed cornering 70-80 it felt good, I actually kinda like it. I even took a corner I usually do about 40-45 around at 60. I can tell when I cross painted lines, especially freshly painted, old lines no difference.
In general I like the tire, and I know I will like it even better with the supposed mileage it is suppose to get.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What PSI did you go for? I am still running 40 and doing great. New tire getting installed right now, but have to wait for my new brake pads to come in. Car shop is now doing my tires for $15. Motorcycle or CT on motorcycle rim. Beats the Honda dealer wanting $50 and one or two day wait. In and out service from car shop! Loving it!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have pressure at 40-42psi. Last thursday the tire shop wanted $7.50 to do tire, today the same guy charged me 10, still better than Honda. They put the beads in and checked the tpms sensor, it works, which I knew, but he said battery was low. I asked what type battery he said you had to buy a new sensor. You know Mother Honda will want a bag full of money for it. I still don't know why I could not change battery though apart from having the tire off to do it.
I weigh about 280, I wonder if I need more air?

·
Registered
936 Posts
If it handles great, why change? When I ran 32, it felt squishy or soft in corners. If you don't feel this, I would say you are good.

I did walk the tire thru a puddle, then look at the tread pattern on the dry concrete. If you have too much pressure, the tread pattern would be more narrow....wearing out the center and not applying all the traction.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Gotcha, I do feel a bit of the squish in the corners sometimes, it seems mostly when I am in Left hand turns. I'll try a couple more pounds and see how it feels.
I also know it feels better when hitting bridges, especially some of the crappy built bridges around here. LOL

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.