1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So my Austone 175r16 showed up today. :thumbsup:

I have searched the site (and probably missed something), but am curious:

You guys running the Austone- what tire pressure has worked well? I understand there will be some adjusting based on riding, but where have y'all settled? The sidewall indicates a max of 55lbs, but my guess was around 40.

90% of my riding is solo, though I do tow a trailer on occasion and run a passenger. In those cases more pressure is a given (like when I tow with my Isuzu- I add about 5lbs to the rear and lower the front about 5 lbs due to tongue weight- though I would not lower the front tire pressure on the bike).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

This may not be much help, as yours truly has sidecar rig [GL1500/Calif. FSIII]. I run 42# in rear tire now and if I had an Austone, would experiment. Might run 45# to allow for my hack and see how that worked. GOOD LUCK! Please keep us posted on the mileage you're getting....papasmurf in NH:smiler:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I run mine @ 48 PSI

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Papasmurf - I may be a west coaster, but I hail from Litchfield (born in Nashua).
I had assumed on the higher end of the pressure spectrum, and the two of you above are confirming it.
Dustyboots- has your wear been pretty even? I understand riding style/terrain/etc can greatly affect mileage. And, what is that in your hand in the avatar???

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

On the Austone, as with all my rear tires, wear has been good. I had my Formoza set at the same PSI and the wear was very even, as well.
I typically ride solo, probably go 280 - 90 lbs with riding gear and usually a heavily loaded bike while touring, mostly along 2 lane back roads/highways @ 60 - 65 mph.

Those are 50/50 tickets in my hand, which I am notorious at winning at my riding club's M&Gs! A couple of Chapters have talked about banning 50/50 ticket sales to me :laughing:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I cant speak for the Austone as I am using the Wintersport ROF . I also use a pressure monitor . I will just put this out for your thoughts . When the wife an I take a sunday dinner rideI have seen pressure rise as much as 8PSI in the rear tire . Just keep in mind the pressure will climb . At the same time I have seen that much drop in pressure from weather/temperature change . After I chart the temp/pressure a little longer I will change to fullNitrogen and watch that a while .

the previous info may or may not be usefull , at least it was free .

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

True, but as long as the tire is used within specs (regarding load, speed, cold pressure psi) then the climb in pressure due to temp of use is engineered in. That is why the base setting has to be done when cold. Not arguing- I just have typing turrets syndrome. :cheesygrin:
I thought about that Dunlop Wintersport since I ride in the rain a lot (Oregon), but went with the taller tire. It was a tough choice.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

rpeters549
I'm from Amherst and was born in Nashua too, St Joe's. I was back there from 9/12-11/12/11. Had 2' of wet snow 10/30/11. sure am enjoying San Diego winters! Come on down and ride if you can get away.

On the pressure, try it in 2 lb increments and play on it till you find what you like. Higher pressure might eat up the center tread faster.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I'm running 48 in mine as well. Experimented a bit before I settled on 48. Haven't tried 2 up pulling the trailer yet. Expect to add a few pounds when I do.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

This my Formosa with approx 30,000 miles run @ Max pressure indicated on the sidewall (44 lbs). 1 up - 2up - pulling a trailer mostly 2 lane roads, no uneven wear, better mileage if the tire is not soft & building up excessive heat.
For those minds needing to know .....There is also NO wear on the "Sidewalls" from cornering & riding up on the edge, altho my floor boards are getting badly worn down on the bottoms. ;):action::action:

The new one is a Goodyear Assurance.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I still have family in Hudson, and my uncle still has aplace in So Ackworth.

That wear looks pretty good. I think those are 4-ply tires, so it is looking like I will run about 42-44 to start and play with it a bit from there.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I think you're right that the pics are of 4 ply tires. Dusty and I, however, are both running the 6 ply Austones. I think I also started at about 44-45 lbs but felt the handling was too 'squishy' and eventually bumped it up to 48.

Ride safe. Ride often.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ya .... the Austone does have a stiffer sidewall, compared to the Federal Formoza I wore out.

You can get an idea of the tread wear I got on the Formoza, from this video that Rudy shot when I was changing out that tire at the Eureka Springs 7 M7G, this past Labour Day

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1413556

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Not in to squishy, so maybe I will just start at 48 and evaluate from there.
Y'all are great!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
So my Austone 175r16 showed up today. :thumbsup:

I have searched the site (and probably missed something), but am curious:

You guys running the Austone- what tire pressure has worked well? I understand there will be some adjusting based on riding, but where have y'all settled? The sidewall indicates a max of 55lbs, but my guess was around 40.

90% of my riding is solo, though I do tow a trailer on occasion and run a passenger. In those cases more pressure is a given (like when I tow with my Isuzu- I add about 5lbs to the rear and lower the front about 5 lbs due to tongue weight- though I would not lower the front tire pressure on the bike).

Thanks.
i ride my pirreli run flat between 40 and 46, seems to run great for me

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
i ride my pirreli run flat between 40 and 46, seems to run great for me
Gotta remember the Austone is 6 ply (I'm guessing the Pirelli is 4 ply?). Though they're both CTs, its probably still apple & oranges. I would guess each CTs characteristics are fairly unique, just as each MT is as well.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Had it mounted on the wheel today. Balanced with the smallest lead weight he had. This leads me to believe the tire was well made/balanced from Austone.
Now i need to buy my rotor bolts and I am set to rock!
Oh - and the shop I used? $17.50 mounted and balanced. Not bad.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Anyone found 1 that fits an 1100 yet?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

A little slow I am...
I just ordered new o-rings (the 3) for the rear wheel because it only makes sense. Once they arrive I will schdule my time to get 'er done and on the bike.
I also ordered new alternator brushes, rubbers, a rear bearing, and o-ring and oil seal. Might have got the oil seal, too. Though my alternator has NEVER shown any indication of less than stellar performance, I have been reminded by those in the know (y'all here) that I better check this out/rebuild before a problem arises. After all, it is 12 yrs old with over 87,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.