Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, decided to do a little preventative maintenance on the Valkyrie today. After a brave and valiant fight, the Dragon finally gave up it's rear wheel to me, and in checking the splines, they were bone dry, with red gunky stiff caked on both parts. Cleaned the gunk off, splines are about 1/4 worn, so hopefully I caught it in time.

Re-lubed with Honda Moly Paste 60, and just got her back together. I put the CT on 15,000 miles ago, and I can't believe I didn't lube the splines then, but I am not perfect. Anyway, just a warning to those darksiders, although you may get 40,000 miles out of a tire, you still need to take the rear wheel off once a year and lube the splines.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Marty .... I'd be checking to make sure all 3 0-rings are intact. Could be the one inside the final drive that is shot/missing and causing your grief! AMHIK

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Marty .... I'd be checking to make sure all 3 0-rings are intact. Could be the one inside the final drive that is shot/missing and causing your grief! AMHIK
Not sure what yo umean by the 3 O rings. O rings are designed to stop leaking, correct? There is no leaking of the final drive, just the splines were dry from lack of lubrication. Please expand your thoughts if you think I am missing something.

Marty

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I had the o-ring on the inside of the final drive go on me and the Honda Pro Moly 60 Paste turned the colour you mentioned and I had some wear on the splines on the driven flange. Me thinks some water entered the drive unit/flange(?) :?

Anyway, I replaced that o-ring and no more problems. BTW, I grease my splines at least 2 -3x per season because of the mileage I rack up.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i dont use the moly 60 stuff i just use regular high temp grease i do a rear tire about every other year on the dot so i just clean it and use high temp grease

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The early Goldwings had problems with rapid wear of the drive line splines. The first fix was to add a zerk fitting back on the swingarm just ahead of the final drive to slobber some grease on to the splines. The final fix was Moly Paste. With that stuff Honda took off the zerk fitting and no longer had problems with premature spline wear. The reason Moly Paste cured the problem was because it's molecules become embedded in the metal surface. Even when the grease carrier is slung out of the splines the moly remains to protect them from wear.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Marty brings up a good point for CT users. The CT lasting twice as long means less opportunities to grease the splines.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

so thats why i got a grease zert on my final drive area well i guess ya learn somethin new every day good thing i grease it about every 1500 to 2000 miles then lol

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i learned that valuable lesson. when i got my new to me valk, had to check everything and po did not ever greese splines. ended up buy 1 with 17,000 miles on it from a trike man [poor ole harry]. greased it with moly 60. and will keep maintenance on it. hard to come by and expensive.

ounce of prevenative goes along way

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
Where would this grease zerk be exactly. Anyone got pics?
They are on the right end of the swing arm near where it attaches to the final drive. I don't think any models after the '79 'Wing had the grease fitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.