Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After much discussion with DaveO430, I decided to take my 1800 over to the Darkside. Also after much discussion (with myself), I decided that I would not be able to complete the job alone in my garage. So I strapped a new Metzler M/C front and Michelin Pilot A/S Plus C/T rear to the passenger seat and headed off to my buddy's buddy's shop. I had never met Mike before.

It went something like this:

Mike:

"You want me to put that where? No f'ing way that's going up there! It won't fit."

Joe:

"It'll fit."

Mike:

"No way."

Joe:

"It'll fit."

Mike:

"That sure is a cool tire."

Joe:

"It'll fit."

Mike:

"OK, let's do it. I still don't think it'll fit."

Joe:

"It'll fit."

So off came the old, tires. New Metzler up front, no problem. Mike gets up under the back end and starts making up new swear words. After about 20 minutes, he says, "Hey, how about handing me that impact gun?"

Mike is my new hero... And I have a new bike mechanic.

DaveO430 is pretty OK, too. You were right Dave, I had to tie the inner fender back behind the battery box, but it fit. It's probably a good thing, otherwise Mike would have jammed that Michelin in my ear...

Thanks for the help Dave.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,478 Posts
imported post

Looks nice, and water ought to shed well too.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

I WANT ONE, WHINE, BOOHOO, WILL IT FIT MINE???

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I'm not sure about the 1500, but Dave will probably know and post later. I think those 2 water channels in the middle will go through water no problem. That tire is a 205/55ZR-16. A 195 would have been an easier install, but this tire doesn't go any narrower. There are run flats that are narrower, but the stiff sidewalls may cause some handling issues.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

What does Michelin say about that application? What does your insurance carrier say about that application? And, how come ya'll donty put a car tire on the front wheel too?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
What does Michelin say about that application? What does your insurance carrier say about that application? And, how come ya'll donty put a car tire on the front wheel too?

1. Michelin won't like it.

2. Insurance probably won't care.

3. That would just be silly, it's a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
Let me add to Joe's answer.

1, Michelin doesn't care, they sold a tire.

2, insurance has been discussed many times, they don't care, why would they?

3, there is no car tire to fit the front.

On the 1500 question, there is only one tire that will work and it's scarce as hens teeth and I doubt it would be of any benefit anyway. `1500s don't eat tires like 1800s do.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
Dancinbear wrote:

1. Michelin won't like it.

2. Insurance probably won't care.

3. That would just be silly, it's a motorcycle.

#3 are my feelings exactly............... thanks.

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear, you are trying to argue a point with people who have actual experience on the subject while you yourself have no idea how well it actually works. There is a reason why among those who have done it probably less than 1% ever go back to a motorcycle tire on their 1800. There is just nothing the right car tire doesn't do better than a motorcycle tire. Even those using the wrong tire i.e. run flats and R rated tires never go back.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

No offense Dancinbear, but I was not trying to start (or continue) an argument. I was just trying to share my experience because I thought that some might get some enjoyment and some information out of it. There are plenty of guys here that customize, fabricate, and adapt parts for their bikes, and this idea is an extention of that concept. Obviously you don't share that vision, and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Happy riding.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Howdy nsjoe. I was thinking about crossing over to the dark side myself. I was wondering how the tire affected the way the bike handled

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Man... this subject is like those "Die Hard" movies with Bruce Willis...

Die Hard... (the one where professor Snape is the Euro-Trash bad guy!)
Die Hard 2
Die Hard 3: (With a Vengeance!)
and finally...
Die Already!

For all us 1500 riders who have just had our Michelin GT Pilots yanked away from us... never to return... ever! All this discussion about "crossing over to the Dark Side" makes me wanna go out and buy an 1800 just so I can... crossover, that is!

Sheesh...

Do whatever ya wanna do! Michelin don't care! Your insurance man certainly don't care... to them, motorcycle riders are disposable anyway!

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Well, I hope none of us are disposable. I really don't want to debate the "Why should I" part of this idea. I also have no desire to try to convince anyone to try it. I know that I wanted to try it, so I did. I found a couple of people that had done it and picked their brains until I was satisfied that I wanted to give it a go.

So critterwatcher, here goes...

The tire was a pain to install on the bike, but once it went up there everything was fine. Mounting to the rim was the same as a regular tire. Mine only took 1 gram of weight to balance. I notice road imperfections while going very slowly more now than with the M/C tire. I think because the C/T is wider and I hit more of them. This is most noticable when walking the bike backwards into my garage. When riding, the bike wants to stand up quicker under hard accelleration than before. It isn't hard to control, just different. The back isn't going anywhere. It is completely planted - like riding on a rail. It's pouring here, and I'm half tempted to go riding just to see how that tire reacts to standing water. But I hate to ruin a perfectly good wash. I'm sure I'll get caught in the rain soon enough. The only other thing I notice is the tire is louder than a M/C tire. Again, probably because it's wider (and flatter). It is still pretty quiet. I was riding next to my buddy on his BMW K1200GT yesterday and he looked over and asked if my bike was running - we were going 60MPH. Other than that, no problems. The tire I installed was cheaper, will last longer, and has half again as much load capacity as any M/C tire that would fit. I'm happy with it.

Happy riding.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

By the way, there are a lot of motorcycles out there that run Car Tires on the FRONT. They work just fine. Check out some of the side car forums.
Bikers have used Car Tires on the back of motorcycles long before the GL-1800 ever came along. Check out old Harleys, Indians, and lots of Choppers. Also look at the Boss Hoss motorcycle, comes from the factory with a Car Engine and a Car Tire.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Dancinbear, you are trying to argue a point with people who have actual experience on the subject while you yourself have no idea how well it actually works.
Wow, what a concept. Wished the guys in the single carb threads would do that.

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
imported post

steve worth wrote:
Motorcycles corner by utilising the difference in circumference between the inner rolling radius and the outer rolling radius of a tyre when in a lean, (try rolling a vending machine cup on a table as an example- it turns). Matching front to rear radius is essential for good and safe handling. Many sports bike riders have realised the error of their ways by fitting a fatter rear tyre for looks. Unmatched to the front, the handling becomes sluggish with poor turn in. Consider a flat (car) profile tyre!!
You must have really straight roads or low expectations. As soon as my bike tyre starts to square off it becomes slightly squirmy over white lines and ridges. You say insurance companies don't care. Have you told them?................steve
And another one that doesn't understand.
Straight roads, what's that? I expect a tire to hold the road under all conditions peg to peg, which it does.
And how many miles do you get on that MC tire before it starts to square off and become squirmy? The right car tire never does change it's behavior during it's life which is twice as long for me over a MC tire. Oh and they are not square profile either.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

that video is something else....who would have thought to put a camera down there.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.