Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Newbie here, has anybody had a problem with the dash display on a Wing? I have had my bike for 10 years and last year it started going blank, only when it was cold or humid. After warming up the display will come back on.....any suggestions, hints is appreciated

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

the display is starting to fail. i just replaced mine for the same reasons.be prepared to pay a lot for a ebay unit..

Robin

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

It's not failing, it is just in need of some tlc. You can try to fix it like I did mine. It was a problem with the 96-97 displays in which the circuit board wasn't properly cleaned at the factory. It requires taking apart the dash and removing the display. Once you have it out, use QD Electronic cleaner and spray down the back of the circuit board and then use a nylon toothbrush to lightly scrub it. You can then use a sealant or just put it back in as is like I did. I did mine over 2 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I had problems anytime there was high humidity or after a rain storm. After driving for a couple miles, the air flow would dry it out and would come back on. At the same time the dash idiot lights would light up for a second and go out.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info phoever . I will try that this weekend and get back and let you know what happens...if it dosen't, it looks like another display is in my future,

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I guess when you get the black "half moons" appearing either side- like my '97 wing, it's knackered though isn't it? Steve

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

steve worth wrote:
I guess when you get the black "half moons" appearing either side- like my '97 wing, it's knackered though isn't it? Steve
Yep. On the way.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I have exactly the same problem as this on my bike.During the Summer,LOL,display and check lights come on no problem.During damp cold weather it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of riding for the lights and display to come on.
As has previously been suggested on here I stripped the dash and cleaned the terminals that connect to the back of the instrument cluster,didn't cure the problem.
I was discussing this with an experienced GL1500 owner/mechanic who said that it was likely to be in one of the terminal blocks behind the RH false tank panel.This kinda makes sense as this is just above the cylinder heads and heat from these will rise and dry out the damp terminal blocks.
Not yet had chance to verify this but it could be worth trying.

Regards Steve

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Its not the terminals, it's the entire back of the circuit board that needs to be sprayed with electronic cleaner. There is a residue that wasn't properly cleaned off at the factory. This stuff attracts and traps the moisture in the air. This causes temporary shorts to the circuitry. Once it dries out after a couple miles of driving. Cleaning the terminals is a good idea while you are in there but is not the cause of the problem.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK back from the holidays....The disoplay is working now. I don't know whether it was the connector on the back of the display or the terminal blocks, because I worked on them both...but all seems well now.....thanks to all for the suggeestions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.