Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Ive just changed the lcd screen on my 1500 trike & while it was apart i changed the dashboard bulbs to led, i didn't change the cruise control bulbs as i didn't have the resistors, i haven't had the trike long & didn't notice if the low fuel light was previously on as it was low on fuel but now the bulbs are led its permanently on. Was it supposed to have a resistor fitted or could there be a issue elsewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Low Fuel light depends on the current flow thru a negative-coefficient Thermistor (temperature-sensitive resistor) in the fuel tank. Resistance is high while the thermistor is immersed in fuel and is cool, resistance drops once the thermistor is dry and allowed to heat up, heating aided by the current draw of the incandescent bulb (which increases resistance when lit), thus lighting the bulb. One side of this bulb has +12v, the other side goes thru the fuel thermistor to ground.

So an LED light will be "Always On" due to the reduced current loading, and due to the dynamics of an incandescent bulb vs an LED I don't think the LED will give the desired results even with a load resistor. It could be made to work but you'd have to design some switching circuitry.

The short answer is to put the regular bulb back in the dash.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Denver, its was the answer i didnt want but thought it was what i was going to get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts