Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
imported post

Mr 1200,

There have been so people who have I have read about that had the connector that has gone bad I will be happy when it is gone, Thanks for the info.

Dean

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I installed the Dave Campbell wiring harness on my 1200 today. For the most part all went well but I did run into some area's that I wasn't sure about.

When I asked Dave for some information to clarify the situation, incidently you can only commicate with Dave by e-mail because you're not allowed to talk to him on the telephone, all I got in return was a well documented dose of Dave's egoistical arrogance.

He told me if I couldn't figure it out on my own I didn't have any business working on my Goldwing.

Oh well, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I for one love how this thread has turned into a flame-war, and a witch hunt. Kudos.

:X

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
I for one love how this thread has turned into a flame-war, and a witch hunt. Kudos.

:X
I for one don't. One of the best things about this forum has been it's civility. I hate to see the ad hominem attacks. There are lots of things some of us don't like about others here, it's even conceivable that someone take exception to the words of wit that I scatter before you. Okay maybe not full wit, perhaps 50%.... I digress, anyway I hope that we can get back to the more enjoyable, educational and entertaining conversations we had before this unpleasantness began.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Posting your findings about the wire harnesses (good or bad) is hardly a flame war. It can't be all a bed of roses, once personal insults are kept out of the equation that's fine by me. I'll be the first to criticise parts makers when I get bad goods.
I wouldn't be bothered about only being able to contact Dave Campbell by e-mail, many vendors do this. I still reckon the DC harness is better than the EC one. At least Dave is evolving his whenever he finds an area that needs improving (those crimped connectors are always trouble on bikes anyway) and it's a piece of cake to fit. Only awkward part is getting your hands into the false tank to get at the wires.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
I installed the Dave Campbell wiring harness on my 1200 today. For the most part all went well but I did run into some area's that I wasn't sure about.

When I asked Dave for some information to clarify the situation, incidently you can only commicate with Dave by e-mail because you're not allowed to talk to him on the telephone, all I got in return was a well documented dose of Dave's egoistical arrogance.

He told me if I couldn't figure it out on my own I didn't have any business working on my Goldwing.

Oh well, you get what you pay for.
See, I told you it was junk!33zip will really be mad when it makes the paint fall off his motorcycle.

'zip was kind enough to point out an error in the instructions, which the Free World will thank us all for.

'zip, since its "trade insults" day, shall I then post the flames, false statements and arrogant demands you made, which are the reason I refused to give you a phone number?

Naw, I have better things to do. Must go redesign it so the wheels fall off as well.

============ Post Script =======================

For the record, since I have been slandered publically, I feel it is within my right to set the record straight. Since Mr 33zip has chosen a public forum in which to do so, I wish to defend myself publically. I am also asking the Moderators to delete the slanderous post that 33zip has publically made against me.

Here are the Emails which have transpired. Within them is clear evidence that:

First exchange:'Zip did not read the instructions and incorrectly asserted they were wrong. My answer - to explain the instructions exactly as they were written.

Second exchange: I mistakenly put the wrong terminal size on the coil wires, and honestly, and gentlemanly admitted it and offered to make it right.

Third exchange: 'Zip says the motorcycle does not match the instructions. So, its either not a GL1100 / 1200 or has been modified. That the motorcycle does not match the instructions is not my fault. If something has been changed, he needs to get a wiring diagram and sort it out, I cant do that over the phone. Yes, at this time, it would be wise for him not to work on his GL until he can sort it out. But, instead he took this as opportunity to deliberately misconstrue my statement to publically slander me.

Fourth exchange: "Zip again fails to read the instructions by assuming there is a blue wire in the regulator, where no such thing is said. At this time, I told him I would accept no more nasty Emails.

Fifth exchange: 'Zip has returned to gentlemanly conversation and I answered his questions. But , as a result of him publically slandering me in this thread, his Email account is permanently blocked.

============== 1 =======

(My response)

Steps 3 and 4 say to run blue wire to coils, remove black/white and plug blue in their place.

It has nothing to do with the regulator plug. Chop away..

[email protected] wrote:

I"m installing your wiring harness today and in your directions you say ignore the blue wire (coming out of the voltage regulator) for now. This leads me to believe that something is going to be done with it later, but you never mention it again. I'm not going to chop up this plug until I know the disposition of all the wires.

Call me or send me your phone number so I can talk to you about this.

Dick (aka, 33zip)
1-352-

================ 2 ============

(My response)

PS I may have goofed up on the blue terminals, I think i put the wrong size on (3/16 instead of 1/4) Let me know if it doesnt fit and Ill send some terminals or whatever..

[email protected] wrote:

I"m installing your wiring harness today and in your directions you say ignore the blue wire (coming out of the voltage regulator) for now. This leads me to believe that something is going to be done with it later, but you never mention it again. I'm not going to chop up this plug until I know the disposition of all the wires.

Call me or send me your phone number so I can talk to you about this.

Dick (aka, 33zip)
1-352-

================= 3 ================

(My response)

I am not going to waste telephone time on this if you refuse to read and misquote the instructions.

[email protected] wrote:

The wires on the starter solenoid don't match the colors (or size) you have on your intstructions. What now?

[[My response]]

[[The instructions clearly say to cut the two wires from the front of the solenoid. Solder them to the Black wire from the harness. Theres only one Black wire in the harness. If they are different colors and you are not able to sort that out, you should not be working on that Goldwing.]]

I want a phone number. I've got to get this back together and out of the shop.

You dont need a phone number, you need to read and follow the instructions.

==================== 4 ==================

(My response)

If you read the instructions, there is no Blue wire called out coming from the regulator. Im not going to waste telephone charges discussing this until I see you have read and followed the written instructions. Email is free.

One more Email like this and Ill block your address. Stop the _hing.

[email protected] wrote:

What is the problem you can't send me a phone number? I want to talk to you on the phone not be running back and forth checking e-mails.

Now that I have removed the false tank and looked at the regulator there is no blue wire coming out of the regulator but there's two green wires. What's that about?

I am well aware of what step 3 and 4 say.

================= 5 ======================

[email protected]
wrote:

... there is only one large wire at the front of my solenoid plug and it is red.

[[My responses in Brackets]]

[[ What year/model GL do you have?

If its an 1100 or 1200, there are (from factory) two wires on front the solenoid, if theres only one on your cycle, someone has removed a wire (?). Ive never seen a GL1200 with one wire. The wiring diagrams all have two. The GL 1000s had only one wire.

It may not be needed to solder both solenoid wires to the BLACK, since bypassing the regulator plug eliminates the Red/White. The instructions say to connect it because the '86A has a capacitor in that wire, but for other models it may not be needed. I just checked it (today) on an 84 A that I just put a harness on, the electrical system works with only the large Red wire connected. To test, connect the large Red to the Harness BLACK temporarily and turn the ignition on, if everything lights up, and the engine starts, should be OK]]

Now to go back to the voltage regulator. There are two green wires, coming out of it. Do I solder both of them to the green wire from your harness?

[[Yes, two Green from regulator to one GREEN in harness. I made a typo error in the instructions, thanks for pointing that out. Ive corrected the instructions and attached a copy of the correction. ]]

Thanks for your help

[[No problem, weve both made errors in this deal, Ive made two for your one so I owe you one.]]

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

dean_3326, if worse comes to worse and your stator fails, get in touch with me and I'll help you get a 50-90 amp alternator system installed on your Wing that will put the original Honda charging system to shame and the only thing you will have to alter on the bike is to bore a small hole in the timing cover. Hopefully you'll get many, many more reliable miles from your stator, but, you have this as a backup if you like.

Price=about half of what a Honda dealerwould charge to fix your burned out stator.

Vic

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Dave is tripping over himself,He states that he eliminates crimp connections,,Look at his web Page,and you'll see Crimp connectors on His Harness as well !! The EC harness does away with many crimp connectors as well..But some you will need (like to the coils,And to connect to the Battery)
Its clear that Mr 1200 is "EC" and for Dean's benefit:

No, I do not use crimp connectors,they are not crimped and this cannot be seen from a photograph. Thus Mr 1200s statement is in error.

Crimping is a process where the wire is mechanically smashed between the connector ears. Its a purely mechanical joint subject to oxidation and corrosion, which is why Hondas wiring fails. Crimping requires special tooling subject to continiual process control and frequent crimp strength testing to ensure a good crimp.

I dont use crimping, I do it another way that eliminates all that. Thats the difference between a mechanics ability and my engineering experience.:waving:

Mr EC, you havent answered my comments about the wire gauge being immaterial. I posted proof from electrical laws of physics. Please answer them.

Y'see folks, ever since I exposed American Honda and GWRRA (U.S. corporations) years ago (1990 - 1995) for the failures in the GL1200, they've been on assault against me. This is evident in this thread. It became so bad at one point that "someone" came to the house here movedmy Goldwing to the back of the garage while I was away, set it on fire and it burned to the ground. Fortunately insurance bought another one!

This just goes to show the nastiness and hatred that results in exposing fraud and corruption in Government and Corporation, especially in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I apologize to everyone on the forum. I never intended to have this go on like this. A simple phone call would have averted all of this.

Dave, I apologize to you. I never intended to slander you. I was merely stating a well known fact.

For what it's worth, the harness is installed and and the wing has never run better. The before and after difference is amazing.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I'm closing this thread. Personal insults have no place on this forum. If you have a beef with another member, please convey it to them by PM. :(

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.