Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • After rebuilding clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder bike been working fine .400 miles no problem.but now my second Chinese starter went out after 13 months. One year warranty.this time I bought a rebuild kit for the oem.not looking for answers just want to warn about Chinese starters .they don't last.and don't buy from Ricks motorsports advertising from US for $277.you will get the same starter that's online for $77.00 .hope this helps someone from making same mistake as I.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What model. and year bike are we talking about? If it is a 1100 Gold Wing, I can feel your pain. Rebuilt the one in my 83 Aspencade, and a year latter it was actting up again. I then went out and bought a 1500 Gold Wing. Never had a starter issue again in the next 23 years of owning 1500s. I still have a 1500 starter with only 6,000 miles on it to sell.
gumbyredd

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention it s a 85. Limited edition.wrenching to ride again.ugh.
What model. and year bike are we talking about? If it is a 1100 Gold Wing, I can feel your pain. Rebuilt the one in my 83 Aspencade, and a year latter it was actting up again. I then went out and bought a 1500 Gold Wing. Never had a starter issue again in the next 28 years of owning 1500s. I still have a 1500 starter with only 6,000 miles on it to sell.
gumbyredd
Its an 85 limited.bought it used Oct 2019.I hope rebuilding orignal will do the trick.I ride all year long if its above 45 degrees and put close to 7000 miles on it .I don't pull engine to replace them but I don't want to be doing it every year.thanks for your input

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you replace the armature bearings? I think that is where a lot of the problems with these starters lie.
gumbyredd
If you read first post I puchased new starters first one $77 from eBay arrived with made in China box and lasted 7 months I got. Refund and purchased second starter from Ricks motorsports after recommended by readers on this forum cost $277.00 advertised as made in U.S. but when arrived same box and also made in China.reported them to better business bureau for false advertising and it just died two days ago.one month out of 1 year warranty.hoping rebuild kit is not also Chinese.I did save original oem starter and that's the one I plan to rebuild.

·
Registered
'85 gl1200 Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That O.E.M. starter was the one I was referring to about replacing the armature bearings. Did you rebuild that one? You mentioned you bought a rebuild kit.
gumbyredd
I just ordered rebuild kit.two days ago the night starter went out.so no not yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts