Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the DB alternators? I am looking for a higher output alternator for my 99 GL 1500 and this one is slightly cheaper than some others. Possibly easy to get rebuild parts for? I have redone many automotive alternators in the past. Just trying to do some research ahead of time as we are in the start of our 'cool' winters now. Looking to replace sometime before 1st part of March. I have installed heated grips that are really nice on cooler days and also
have a heated jacket liner that has not been used yet. Tried it out one day in my shop. Put it on and hooked it up, took about 3 minutes to warm up quite nicely. Can't wait to try it for real. I have been on the road out in the country as early as 1st week of March and most of the time April.

·
Administrator
57,647 Posts
From what I recall reading about them, the internals are standard automotive parts, from GM vehicles.

So, a local repair shop should be able to fix it for you.
Also, it is easy for the DIY folks to service them also.

Most alternator failures are from carbon build up on the brushes, an easy fix.
Rarer is failed bearings, again, an easy fix.

The rubber drive bushings get hard over time, and cause noises... an easy fix.

Some after-market vendors use cheap wire and the insulation cumbles from the high heat that an alternator has to survive in.... it does not get any free air, all cooling has to be drawn in by the fins, and tucked in tight behind the plastics, makes that a tough job.

CompuFire builds uprated alternators...

DIY with this tutorial https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/1500-alternator-overhaul-tutorial.389902/#post-1613105

that should fill out the rest of the Turkey Holiday :)

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
Don't know about the alternators but I have installed 2 DB starters, 1 on my S10 and 1 on a friends 1 ton 454 truck, same starter. They have both been working flawlessly for about a year.

·
Nobody You Know
273 Posts
Don't know about the alternators but I have installed 2 DB starters, 1 on my S10 and 1 on a friends 1 ton 454 truck, same starter. They have both been working flawlessly for about a year.
Likewise, don't know about the DB alternators, but I installed a DB starter on my John Deere lawnmower and two on my John Deere Gator. They were CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the OEM starters. The lawnmower is doing fine after a couple of years. The first one I put on the Gator broke after a couple of years. When I pulled it off, I discovered that a chunk of the housing had broken off and wedged in the flywheel. I complained to DB that it looked like a manufacturing defect and even sent pictures, but they just shrugged it off since it was out of warranty. I did install another DB in its place, but suspect that I'm getting what I paid for.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Limpy, We installed a DB alternator on my friends 1997 Gold Wing SE last year. It performs quite well.

Jus an FYI......

The "exciter wire" on the DB is hard wired to the alternator (not a plug in) as on the OEM alternator.

That "Exciter wire" plugs into a connector behind the left inner fairing panel (behind the reverse lever).

You either remove the left inner fairing panel (to make the connection) or do some cut and splicing of that "exciter wire"

Your choice......!!..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts