Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1100 project bike. I stripped it down this spring removing tupperware.In doing so I lost the voltmeter.

a month or so ago I toke it for a ride it seemed to start poorly but started. ran kinda $hitty and stalled would not crank. So got my truck hooked up cables and charged battery some drove bike home. I have been riding bike on and off all summer baattery has always been good

put it on charger and toke it for a run in a few days. stopped for fuel and would not crank. Got a boost and rode home. charged battery and checked voltage while running. bad news no charge.me thinks stador dead.

pull out battery and charge it 2 amps.going to take bike for a ride on charged battery. charge over nite . battery is warn but only shows 6 volts and charger still showwing its charging.Battery 2 yr old lead acid.

So I seem to have a bum battery and a bum stator. Did thr stator tests with bum battery in bike but that should not have effect.

Did the battery kill the stator or did the stator kill battery have not checked rectifier.

while I rode the bike with the fairing volt meter showed about 14 volts at crusing speed so was working in spring.

I'm thinking battery has internal short as it losses cpl volts a day sitting and gets warm charging and takes charge but never gets full charge. fluid level in battery has alwats been good

wilf

as a after thought will always have a volt meter on the bikes from now on!

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The battery won't matter on a stator test, it would be isolated from it anyway. The battery being bad also had no effect on the stator going bad, if it is.
What was the results of the stator test?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

no voltage across the yellow wires at 3000 rpm. I think i did the test right. Just seems strange they would die at same time. Makes me think the cause took them both out or one took out the other. But like I said i was using the bike on and off all summer with no volt meter so have know idea if there was any problem with the system till the battery died.
thank's for your reply Dave
Wilf

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Check on the plug that connects the yellow wires behind the side panel, they go out a lot, if thats good then check amps on the yellow wires before you condemn the stator, I did it with an amprobe, if they are all the same(providingthey weren't all zero of course) then your stator is good, that ought to save you from pulling the motor.

I can't believe that anyone else would ever experience this problem but here we go, when I bought my 2nd GL1100 in'01it turned out the PO had removed the wire that feeds the battery from the rectifier, used to go about 30 miles and then die on me! :dumb:

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Did you have your meter set on the AC (not DC) volt scale?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did dc first but was told to go to ac was hoping but same results. Put a good battery in from my 1000 and temp installed the volt meter and stay's at 12 volts.
I a'm okay with pulling the engine as iv'e been switching things on the bike looking for the right design.
Its going to be a stripped down naked bike sortta a bopper i guess. Have got the basic's decided so plan to pull it apart and do it up.
Just trying to understand the sequence that caused the 2 falures at same time.
The only other thing that happened was one of the last rides I took with the bike I crossed a bridge on a double lane hitting a large pothole bottoming out the bike and breaking the weld on one of the headers I rode the bike about 15 miles home with one muffler disconected but hanging by it's mount. I'm thinking possibly the jolt may have done some damage to the stator or battery. as i'm not shure if I rode the bike much after that.
Wilf

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The battery probably failed because it it was drawn down when the charging system failed, that happens. 1100 stators seldom fail so be sure of it before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing it. Do an OHM test on the stator and check the AC setting on your meter by sticking the probes in a wall outlet.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That musta been one hard jolt. Did your teeth fall out?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Hey Wilf, I'm with Dave on this. Unusual for the stator to die on the 1100s. Make sure you are testing the stator properly and be sure that your meter is working on AC by testing it on another source as Dave suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.