Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First off many thanks to all of you gear heads that walked me thur the timing belt change. I got the bike on the road yesterday after 3 monthsand it ran great, what a wholejoy to ride! Took it on a 50 mike run today but had to jump it to start. Ran great on the trip but when I tried to start it back at home it just barely turned over and will not start. The battery volts show 13.9 to 14.2 on the road, but drops to 11 volts on the first attempt, then down to 9 then down to 7 volts then just click, click, click. I charged it up. got it started, and am showing 13.2 to 14.3 volts at the battery connections with a volt meter, and they increase with engine speed.I am hoping the 4 year old cheapoMagna-Power battery bit the dust. Possible?? Maybe there is a Die Hard batteryin my future,Thanks, Kim in Arizona

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Your readings do indicate a bad battery. 4 years is a good long life on most M/C batteries.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I would say that your battery is shot. It is not a good idea to attempt starting with anything less than a fully charged battery. For example with a low battery the starter will heat up rather than turn possibly causing internal damage. My advice would be to purchase a good battery such as an Odessey....a little more expensive but it is maintenance free, more cranking amps, longer warranty etc. You will save yourself a lot of problems..........GM

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I usually get 2 years before they fade away,but I vow to use a trickle charger this year for winter.It worked well as a winter test on my 72 Dart and that battery was failing.Yep time for new juice dont forget the old one for core$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.