Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have ’82 Silverwing Interstate with the Clarion Type II AM/FM/Cass/CB radio and everything has performed flawlessly for the past 26 years until today – for an unexplained reason the AM/FM portion of the unit has quit working (no power/radio stations, no audio, no LED lights indicated). All other functions work (i.e. CB/Cass/Clock). Is there something I can check to narrow down the list of suspects?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. [email protected]

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Silverwings use the same fairing and audio equipment as the Goldwings, just a different mount to fit the frame down tubes of the Silverwing.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks so much for your responses - currently out in the garage - left blinker removed & have checked all the obvious fuses - all appear good & checked for 12 volt current to the fuses.

Something new - pulled the AM/FM portion of the radio out - tested for current @ the 20 blue pin connector plug behind the radio - with black (meter) grounded to bike - there's only 2 pins reading voltage (the bottom of the blue board) when those 2 pins are touched separately - the LED portion of the Clock lights up.

Seems like we're on the right track (no power) getting to the radio portion of the unit - how doI track down which wire that should be supplying power to the radio?

Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I am looking at the 1983 GL 1100A schematic.Two, 12 volt, black wires go to the Radio Module.
One Black single wire comes from the Power Amp through two different single wire connectors.
The second Black wire gets power starting with a 2 amp fuse inside one of three White Clam Shell type fuse holder (opens like a clam shell; black wire in, black wire out). This black wire supplies power to:
1. Volt Meter, if you have one
2. Radio Controller
3. A Green 3 pin connector. Three wires in: Green, Red, Black. Two wires out: Red, Black.
The Red wire out of the 3 pin connector connects to a twist type fuse holder, 0.2 amp (two-tenths amp) fuse, and on to the Radio Module for the memory circuits.
The black wire out of the 3 pin connector connects to a twist type fuse holder, 2 amp fuse, and on to the Radio Module.
Hope this helps on the Silverwing.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

OK - located the green 3/pin connector with green, red & black wires (coming out of both ends) - of the 3 wires ONLY the black has current (12 volt) both red & green are dead. Traced both ends as far as I could (difficult for me to see) - no apparent in-line fuses were found on either end.

Also taped together with the green clip is a brown 2/pin (green & yellow) wires - both of these are dead as well.

All testing was done with key on - radio on - battery switch on - black/volt metergrounded to battery.

Ohom tested all the in-line fuses - all showed good ohoms- Mike

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

A Green wire on Honda Goldwings is ground. Ohm check should show short to ground on the Green wire at the 3 pin Green connector.
The Red wire at the 3 pin Green connector shouldshow 12 volts, Ignition ON or OFF. This is only for memory for the radio and clock. Check the White Clam Shell type fuse holder, 1 amp fuse,with red wire in and out.
The Black wire should show 12 volts.
The Brown 2 pin connector is between the Radio Module and the Power Amp.
My schematic only shows the radio system. When adding the cassette and CB, other wiring is added. Some where else thereare twoGreen (I think)three pin connectors, one to the CB and one to the Radio Module.Both should have inline fuses in theRed wire and the Black wire. Try starting at the Radio Module and follow the Red and Black wires.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The brown connector is for the push to talk switches for the cb. You should have 1 switch on the left handlebar for the driver, the extra plug is for the optional switch for the passenger.

I'm wrong, the 2post brown goes to the radio tuner as mentioned above. It's the 6 post and 4 post brown connectors that go to the cb.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Round 2:

Finish late yesterday withlittle progress & dead battery.This morning I started fresh and here's where I'm at: All new fuses - charged battery & everything plugged in & turned on.

Yesterday's 3 prong green - once plugged in both red & black are hot while the green is grounded - maybe weird - while unplugged the red was not hot either end of the plug - once plugged in the red shows current - it's like it's getting power through the plug from the black wire - no obvious short in wiring. Nonetheless, it's hot...

New path - while going wire by wire - with everything plugged in - noticed a 6 prong brown plug - 5 wires - green/ground (good) blue & red fused (12 volt hot )the 2 last remaining wires white & brown (dead).

Looks like the white & brown go towards the amp - while theres no fuse on either wire.What do these 2 wires do? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

So you haven't downloaded the manual from the link I posted? The schematic I referred to on page 25 of that manual will show you all the connections, their color and how many post in each connection.

Maybe this will help then.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks for sending the picture - I did open your PDF link from yesterday - was unable to read it - however was able to read, copy & print the attached fig.11 today.

Thank you

Looking at the drawing - is it your opinion the white & brown wires should be 12 volt hot. And do these 2 wires supply 12 volt power to the AM/FM portion of the radio?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

PM sent.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I just spent over an hr on the phone with Thomas and we narrowed down and eliminated all the fuses as the problem. He has quite a mess in the fairing as the PO had installed a toggle switch with 3 leads coming off it to kill the off switch power to the memory retention for the clock and radio. Also he has a vacuum component in there for an after market cruise control system.

He's gonna do some more checks I gave him but it looks like the power side of the radio turner other than the clock isn't working. Cassette and cb works through both speakers and headset.

Once he has eliminated that toggle switch as the culprit I think he's gonna find he will need to send it to Sierra for repair.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Just because the fuses look good in those white clamshells, they may not be. Try putting in some new ones.
That's true. I opened all 4,862 clamshell fuse holders on my 83a:shock: Finally came across a fuse that the element looked ok but one of the silver ends was loose and the element was broke there.:banana:

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

If the two Black wires at the Radio Module connector have 12 volts, along with the Red wire for memory, then sounds like Sierra is next stop.
Best of luck to you Mike.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, Mike, where are we at on this now?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Off to Hood River, OR for the weekend - youngest is teaching down there and plan to hang out with him for the weekend - more to follow...Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.