Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, got a new problem. Prior to replacing my head gaskets due a blown one on the left side I had 0 compression on cylinder #4 (left side rear). I replaced the gaskets and timing belts and rode it for about a 100 miles and then did another compression check. I get 150 or above on cylinders 1-3 but #4 is still dead. It appears that the piston is not moving at all. Thought I would get some opinions on what to do at this point.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

is there any noises? knocking or rattling. if the piston isn't moving, then maybe it's a broken connecting rod. which means you are lucky it didn't throw pieces out the side of the case. but,unlucky because you'll have to split the cases to fix it.

Robin:(

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

The piston has to be moving. If it were broken off or if the connecting rod was off the crankshaft the vibration would be so bad you couldn't ride it. I would more suspect a bad valve in that cylinder. Did you check them when you had the head off? A simple check is to pour a small amount of gas into the intake or the exhaust and see if it leaks through the valve into the combustion chamber area. The valve should hold off all leakage for at least 30 seconds.

With zero compression you should tell by the way it cranks over. With the kill switch off when it cranks you should hear the dead one skip by so to speak each time it comes around...

Also, if it were an exhaust valve you should hear it making a slurping sort of noise at the muffler end.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far. I am by no means an expert since this is my first wing so if I ask a stupid question please bear with me. When I crank the engine with the kill switch off I don't hear any weird noises, etc. The bike seems to ride smooth and accelerates pretty good except I know I need a carb sync really bad and doesn't seem to miss. Again, I don't know if this is normal behavior for this bike when it is running on 3 cylinders. When I pulled the plugs out of the left side there was some smoke that came first out of the front spark plug hole then a few moments later it came from both holes. When i had the head off it seemed that one of the valves was open to far but I didn't really know enough to identify it at the time. I don't hear any abnormal noises from the exhaust except an occasional popping when I attribute to the carb sync problem.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I forgot to mention that I believe I can hear some knocking under heavy load but it doesnt do it all the time so I don't know if the carb issue could play a part in that or not.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

You can easily see if the piston is moving by shining a light in the plug hole and cranking the engine. If it doesn't move you have a very serious problem but if it does you have a valve problem. Did you check the valve clearance when you put the head back on? If one is tightened enough to hold the valve open it will have 0 compression.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

if i were to take the head back off how would i check the valves? Can I turn the pully to see if the valves work?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

gene-o wrote:
if i were to take the head back off how would i check the valves? Can I turn the pull(e)y to see if the valves work?
Sure you can, may not be easy, but it's doable. Try and look to see if the piston is moving by looking in the spark plug hole first.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

Just take the valve cover off and rotate the engine while watching the valves. They should all open and close in 2 revolutions of the crank shaft. Check that they all have some clearance between the adjusting screw and the valve stem when the valve is closed. The manual shows how to adjust the clearance.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok, the piston is definitely not moving. Would removing the head do any good at this point. What should I do next?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I'm not an engine expert but it sounds like the engine has to be taken out and rebuilt. The other option is too look for a used engine. While it is theoretically possible that the enginecould run on three cylinders without damaing other major components it is highly unlikely.

I would be very interested in knowing what happened.

Sorry I can help any further.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks, another quick question. Will the exhaust from an 81-82 fit an 80?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I find it hard to believe that it would run reasonably well on three cyclinders and not be making any odd mechanical noises. If the piston isn't moving there would certainly be some noise as the connecting rod is free to move around.

If you have somebody to help, take the plug out on the cyclinder in question, use a pencil or something similar and put it in the cyclinder until you feel resistance. Don't drop it. Ignition off just bump the starter button a couple of times and see if the pencil moves. Another way is if you can reach the hole with your finger you can put it in or over the hole, bump the starter and see if there is any pressure.

Something doesn't make sense from the way you've described the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Anybody know how you'd get a double post. I removed the narrative from this message as it was exactly the same as the above post. I only entered it once.

Gremilins !!!! or am I the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:

Gremilins !!!! or am I the problem.:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:
I find it hard to believe that it would run reasonably well on three cyclinders and not be making any odd mechanical noises. If the piston isn't moving there would certainly be some noise as the connecting rod is free to move around.
Well, what if someone took the connecting rod off the crankshaft, put it back together and then sold the bike hoping it wouldn't be noticed? :shock:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
cycleman wrote:
Well, what if someone took the connecting rod off the crankshaft, put it back together and then sold the bike hoping it wouldn't be noticed? :shock:
That would take one shadey individual:shock:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
cycleman wrote:
Now if I went to all the trouble of removing and tearing down the engine to do that I'd might as well fix the problem it had in the first place. It could've been done that way but doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
cycleman wrote:
Now if I went to all the trouble of removing and tearing down the engine to do that I'd might as well fix the problem it had in the first place. It could've been done that way but doesn't make sense to me.

I knew a mechanic who was helping a friend who bought a car that "Just needed a tune-up". In reality they found the connecting rod brazed to the cylinder wall. In that make I think you could just drop the oil pan and do the dirty work. Removing the piston would have meant pulling the engine.

The wing is a differentengine so I don't know if the conrod got pulled, broken or what. Is there a history on the bike?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

no history to speak of. I bought it from a kid who had it a year or so. It ran and runs good. I did put a pencil in the plug hole and could not feel the piston moving.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.