Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi ! I'm fresh to this forum. Looks like a lot of interesting topics. If anybody has any"dead" (bad)85 LTD ECU's, I might be interested in buying. Let me know. Also, has any body come up with dampers for the rear wheel, 86 LTD?. Apparently they're not available seperately. That sure sucks.:( Thanks, Bob :)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

What dampers???:baffled: Try e-bay....

By the way,, Welcome....:goofygrin:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The dampers that are pressed into the wheel, that the drive studs go through. And thank you for the welcome. Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I remember these came up once or twice on this forum, there are a couple guys here who are good at dredging up stuff from the archives, someone will probably chime inwith theinfo you need. I'm pretty sure the rubber isolators are still available.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, Paul. I;ll keep watching :D

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Also, has any body come up with dampers for the rear wheel, 86 LTD?. Apparently they're not available seperately. That sure sucks.:( Thanks, Bob :)
Bob, even though my service manual shows those drive dampeners as replicable, neither my Honda parts book or a few of my better early Honda parts suppliers show them as a separate entity..

Probably just buying a 'Good' used rear wheel on E-Bay would be the easiest & cheapest route, or calling some of the "MANY" motorcycle scrap yards located around the country would turn up a used or even cracked rear wheel with good drive dampeners in it..

I haven't ever removed those drive dampeners but regularly grease the fingers on my drive flanges & those dampeners look like they have metal center sleeves with a hard or metal outer shell so just turning down some rubber & gluing those in probably wouldn't last very long due to the very high drive forces on those dampeners during acceleration & dropped throttle down shifts.

If you have the time you might be able to find some urethane bushings with hard metal centers & hard outer shells at a local auto parts store.. Those dampeners look really close to some of the late American automobile front & rear stabilizer bar bushings in the later cast or pressed stab barlinks.. Problem is most of those I'm familiar with are also non serviceable (at least from the original MoCo).. Bushings like that are also used in some exhaust hangers & as isolation mounts for underbody mounting brackets.. Maybe your local auto parts store will list some similar bushings by size & type..

If your drive dampeners are N/G how bad are the drive fingers on your drive flange?

JDC

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

We did have this topic before and I think that someone pointed out that you have to buy the actual "flange-complete" to get the rubbers, even though the rubbers are not actually shown on the Honda fiche.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger, you just got the straight scoop from the master of the archives. Believe it or not he was a good friend of Merlin or was it Myrddin?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

On other bikes with cush-drive dampers, I have had great luck with servicing the worn rubber. What I did was go over to my local bike shop, and asked the service guys for a punctured innertube. (Freebie!) I then took it home, and cut it into strips. Next, I took the rear wheel apart, and placed the cush damper in the rear wheel side of things. I then took the innertube strips, and wraped one around each of the rear wheel splines. Rubber cement can come in handy in keeping things where they belong. Next, I trimmed down any innertube that was sticking out, and then re-assembled the rear wheel. That took care of my freeplay problems!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for the great posts. I've been sick since I signed on. Not doing much better today, and the weather is sooooo nice here in S. Ore. About 60 at 11:30. Supposed to hit about 70. I might just sneak out for a bit, anyway. I have an Interstate, also, might just swap the rear wheels. I think I like the Elite tire on it better than the Metzler tire on my LTD. Cheers. And let me know about any dead ECU's for 85 LTDs, or 86 SEis. Bob

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Have to look into the urethane bush idea. I rechecked the slack. I don't think it's actually that bad, after reading a lot of posts on different forums.Still looking for "DUD" ecus for limited, SEi's. Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Have to look into the urethane bush idea. I rechecked the slack. I don't think it's actually that bad, after reading a lot of posts on different forums.Still looking for "DUD" ecus for limited, SEi's. Bob
Haven't seen any dead ones, but a few live ones have shown up on eBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.