Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend has an 89 1500 I'm trying to help him diagnose a dead spot.

On the side stand, if I squirt a little carb cleaner in the ports in the carb horn on the left side, the engine stumbles. If is squirt it in the right carb it speeds up. The sliders seem to be operating evenly between the sides. If I stuff a rag down either side and rev it it acts almost normal.

If I rev it up to about 1/2 throttle (which it does very slowly) it cycles between about 2800 and 3300 rpm probably 3 times every 2 seconds.

I'm thinking its a vacuum leak in something that both carbs share.

Any idea what to look for? How to fix (easily)?

Thanks in advance,
-Kevin

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
When shooting a little spray into carbs it goes down the main opening or venturi not the air bleeds.

Before any carb diagnostic work you want to ensure fuel pump, filter and auto petcock are working correctly and within specs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Keep in mind. it won't run real good with air box off. Sounds like a vacuum leak on right side somewhere(vacuum hose,boot,etc...) Ls seems like it is taking up the slack. From what you described with carb cleaner spray.
But like mentioned. If it doesn't have enough fuel in bowls. it won't run well either. like Driver said. have seen the petcock diaphragms go bad and cause multiple symptoms.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Try tightening the rubber isolators ("boots") that connect the carbs to the intake manifold... each as two hose clamps that can loosen, causing a Lean condition. You'll need a 1-ft long phillips screw driver, and flash light, to reach them from the sides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.