1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(
Hello All,

Long story short, I had some electrical problems and was barely able to get my Wing home a couple of weeks ago. Based on the symptoms, I decided a new harness would be the ticket. I chose the DC harness. I know he's banned, but his equipment rates well from what I read. After I installed it, the bike lights up, turns over and just keeps turning over. I'm guessing no spark, but haven't pulled a plug yet (my first Wing and I have to get an 18MM plug socket). Anyone installed a new harness (EC or DC) like this and had a similar problem that was/is a quick fix (likely something I wired wrong, missed, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

= = ==> Mark

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Mark, make sure you have connected to the correct terminals on the coils. I install the EC harness on mine. I didn't have any problem, but the instructions said if the bike wouldn't start to check and make sure you are on the correct terminals on the coils.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I'll second that. I've installed 3 different DC harnesses, and on the very first one, didn't have the coils hooked up correctly. Same results, you had.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I checked it once, but I'll check again. The negative is on the same side of each coil from the labels and the wire colors (black/white, right side of coil if sitting on bike). Does that seem correct?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't hurt to throw a volt meter on those wires & confirm proper polarity!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

OriginalPaladin wrote:
:(
Hello All,

Long story short, I had some electrical problems and was barely able to get my Wing home a couple of weeks ago. Based on the symptoms, I decided a new harness would be the ticket. I chose the DC harness. I know he's banned, but his equipment rates well from what I read. After I installed it, the bike lights up, turns over and just keeps turning over. I'm guessing no spark, but haven't pulled a plug yet (my first Wing and I have to get an 18MM plug socket). Anyone installed a new harness (EC or DC) like this and had a similar problem that was/is a quick fix (likely something I wired wrong, missed, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

= = ==> Mark
Hello Mark:waving:, If you can not get it running I suggest you contact Dave
Campbell, he will help you figure out where you went wrong. I have run a
DC harness over 4 years with no problems.
good luck.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone,

I have been in contact with Dave, and he's been helping. I still can't get the bike to start though. In troubleshooting, when should I see 12V to the coils? Will there be 12V when the ignition switch is on, but the start button is not depressed, or is there only 12V there while the start button is depressed (or is there only 12V there when I'm not depressed :()? Thanks!

= = ==> Mark

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Should be 12v at the coils as soon as the ignition switch is turned on.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Bagmaster, if there is not 12V, any help as to what I should check next (also, I checked the voltage between the positive lead on the coil and the frame of the bike, that should work correct?)

= = ==> Mark

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

do have any ideas for you but i would like to know how long and difficult the dc harness was to install. I will be doing the same on my 86 1200 soon. thanks.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Siebo,

having not known anything about Goldwings, the harness took me a while to do (4-6 hrs). I'm also more of a visual person than instruction driven person, and the instructions weren't as clear as more pictures would have been for me. All in all it's not that bad though, but you will need to remove the false tank (the instructions did not state that removing the false tank was necessary on the Aspencade, just the LTD and SEI). I'm just wondering if I fried my regulator soldering everything. I find it hard to believe when I was purposely using only a 15W iron, but then it is 23 years old! If you have questions, I'm happy to answer them for you. I've asked Dave quite a few just to make sure I did stuff correctly, so I have a lot of details on it.

For anyone who's put in a DC harness:

When I snip the big red lead going to the solenoid plug, do I connect the DC harness wire to the end of the cut lead that goes to the main harness, or to the end of the cut lead that goes to the solenoid plug (my logic dictates the former, but I'm so burned out on trying and checking things on this, I'm to the point where I'm questioning everything I did!). Thanks.

= = ==> Mark

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

OriginalPaladin wrote:
Thanks Bagmaster, if there is not 12V, any help as to what I should check next (also, I checked the voltage between the positive lead on the coil and the frame of the bike, that should work correct?)

= = ==> Mark
Check for voltage on both sides of the stop/kill switch even if it's showing in the run position. I don't have a color schematic for the 1200's so right now I'm looking at one for an 1100 for ideas. Bypass it some how and then check for voltage at the coils.

Upon checking a manual for the 1200's the voltage at the coils should be on the black/white lead. No voltage there, no fire from the coils.

I've never seen a bike wired with the DC harness so I don't know if it keeps to the same color coding as the original Honda harness, so take anything I post with a grain of salt as it's all based on schematics I'm looking at for the original Harness from Mother Honda.

BTY, what model year is this 1200? You never mentioned the year as minor changes can be made from year to year for the same model.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bagmaster,

I have no voltage showing at the coils, but the black/white leads are the negative leads. Those are the ones that are now disconnected, and replaced with the leads from the DC harness. The yellow/blue wires/leads are connected to the positive terminals on each of the coils and the DC harness fuseblock is connected to both negative coil terminals.

Mine is an '86 GL1200 Aspy.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

OriginalPaladin wrote:
Bagmaster,

I have no voltage showing at the coils, but the black/white leads are the negative leads. Those are the ones that are now disconnected, and replaced with the leads from the DC harness. The yellow/blue wires/leads are connected to the positive terminals on each of the coils and the DC harness fuseblock is connected to both negative coil terminals.

Mine is an '86 GL1200 Aspy.
The original black/white leads are the positive leads, not the ground leads. On all the early Goldwings black is always positive even if it's a combo color with black and another. You really need the schematics to use as a guide and for trouble shooting.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Bagmaster,

I'm trying to make sure I understand this correctly. The coils are labeled with a + and a - symbol. The original black/white leads where connected to the coil terminals marked with a - symbol. In the DC Harness instructions, I'm supposed to connect the harness fuse block wires to the negative terminals on the coils. If the negative is really the black/white leads and positive is the yellow/blue, then my coils have been connected backwards and the bike worked fine. Is that possible?

Good grief!! You're right! I have 12V between my disconnected black/white lead and my connected negative lead, so they have been connected backwards for who knows how long!! My next question is, do I leave them that way and connect up the harness to the coils the same way they were (reversed polarity) or should I switch them (back?) to they way they are labeled?

= = ==>Mark

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I believe at this point I'd do some testing of the coils before hooking up any cables/leads to them. Switching the leads around to what they are supposed to be at this point, I don't know if it would hurt the coils are not. Do you have any of the shop manuals for this bike?

The electrical system on the 1200's is way more complicated than the 1100's I'm familiar with and I'm about at the limit of the expertize I can offer you.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

PM sent.

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

OK All,

here's the deal. I installed the DC harness according to instructions. I have no voltage to my coils now, so my bike won't start. In testing things, I have found that I do have 12V though, but it is between the disconnected black/white lead and the new DC harness blue lead which is connected to the coil's negative (-) terminal. The other side of one coil still has the yellow/blue lead connected to the coil's positive (+) terminal. The other coil is connected similarly with the blue/yellow lead connected to the coil's (+) terminal and the blue DC harness lead connected to the coil's negative terminal.

My question is, since the new blue leads are ground and the positive black/white leads are disconnected per the DC harness instructions, how am I supposed to get voltage to the coils if the disconnected black/white positive leads are indeed supposed to remain disconnected? Also, why do the positive and negative seem reversed even before I installed the DC harness? I can't find a manual anywhere that states which coil terminal each colored wire is supposed to be connected to, the coil terminals are indeed labeled with a (+) and a (-), but on my bike (bought used), the black/white leads were connected to the (-) terminal on each coil and the blue/yellow and yellow/blue leads were/are connected to the (+). Any help would be great, I have a dead bike way too long!!

= = ==> Mark

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Did not the new DC harness come with leads that would replace the original leads going to the coils? Or does it tie into those leads somewhere up the line?

·
The Paladin
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Yes, the DC harness came with leads that are supposed to replace the black/white leads. The colored leads remain connected because they go to the Ignition Control Unit (ICU). The "interesting" thing is, the DC replacement leads (blue) are both connected to the black lead coming out of the regulator, which I assumed is supposed to be negative since the black/white original leads were connected to the (-) terminals on the coil. But in testing for voltage, the black/white leads are indeed positive and the new blue leads do indeed appear to be ground since I get +12V between them. I know I need the colored wires to remain connected or I won't get proper timing from the ICU, but then I am getting nothing to my coils. Maybe the black wire from the regulator is indeed positive and I have fried my regulator. I think I'm going to give up for today (which with my schedule means the entire week) and have to wait another week or two before I can get this figured out.

= = ==> Mark

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.