Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 87 Interstate had (according to service records) the Stator replaced at 31K miles. Was this an OEM replacement or was it "new and Improved"? Should I be worried about failure? As I read over my question I answered it myself! the Bike now has 110.000 miles on it. and the replaced stator has 70K miles on it. I guess it ain't gunna fail lately.

Suffering from CRS

Dennis:crying:

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

It's a 1200. My experience of 1200's says be afraid, be very afraid.

Just to balance that. I owned a 1200 for three years and got used to towing a trailer half full with tools and spares.

Mind you, if the stators' done 70k it should have broken twice by now by my reckoning:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Relax.. As long as the stator connector on the left side of the battery is not damaged or burned,, the stator will last the lifetime of the bike. A defective connector is a dead giveaway that something is going to happen, and soon.. The ends of the wires lose insulation when burned away, and allow current to cross flow to the others in the plastic connector... Overvoltage is created and the stator begins to overheat and the insulation compound around the wiring on the stator melts which causes the stator to fail... As long as that 3-wire connector is clean and the terminals inside are tight, the stator will last.. :)

HOWEVER!!! If that connector next to the battery IS burned, black & melting, replace it with the oringinal repair kit from Honda for $17.00, or an aftermarket harness available on line... I won't recommend any aftermarket harnesses because there are several and have used the OEM kit with great success...

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Relax.. As long as the stator connector on the left side of the battery is not damaged or burned,, the stator will last the lifetime of the bike. A defective connector is a dead giveaway that something is going to happen, and soon.. The ends of the wires lose insulation when burned away, and allow current to cross flow to the others in the plastic connector... Overvoltage is created and the stator begins to overheat and the insulation compound around the wiring on the stator melts which causes the stator to fail... As long as that 3-wire connector is clean and the terminals inside are tight, the stator will last.. :)

HOWEVER!!! If that connector next to the battery IS burned, black & melting, replace it with the oringinal repair kit from Honda for $17.00, or an aftermarket harness available on line... I won't recommend any aftermarket harnesses because there are several and have used the OEM kit with great success...
If the connector is burned, it's far better to get rid of the connector and solder the wires. Those connectors eventually corrode and create resistance resulting in heat. The heat melts the wires and makes them short. If it's soldered and well-insulated with shrink-wrapfollowed by liberal amounts of electrical tape, the wires won't corrode to begin with.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Take a look at the pix. I think my connector has been replaced? The Yellow wires and added heat shrink might be a clue?

Where else in the World can you get real time advice and assistance? This site is an absolute GOLD MINE:cheeky1:. You Guys never tire of questions!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You're good to go... :)

Any machine is prone to failure sometime during it's useful lifetime. A quick check of the stator is to throw a volt meter across the battery terminals now and again to give a reading.. At idle, you should get at least static battery voltage +... Rev the engine and watch the volt meter rise and fall accordingly.. Voltage should never exceed 14.2v. If you're getting a nice swing from idle to rev-up, the stator is doing it's job.. :)

Go out and ride.. You'll get plenty of warning before stator failure... Lights will dim severely, engine will stall for no reason, rough running, slow cranking when starting.. The list goes on. The trick is to Ride, ride, ride... :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Relax, the thing will work or fail, no one knows when. If it ain't broke don't worry about it until it doesn't!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.