Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local Honda dealer because I'm thinking after 10 years and 100,000 miles on my 1500 maybe I can think about an 1800. This dealer's website had a 2008 1800 with less than 18,000 miles on it for under $15,000. Something in my price range. It wasn't on the showroom floor (not really a surprise, this is MN and they have snowmobiles). I was told that bike is sold but they have a 2006 1800 with 40,000 miles for under $16,000 in their warehouse. Doesn't sound like as good a deal. While wondering the showroom floor I did notice the 2013 Goldwing for under $21,000. More than I was planning on spending, but for a new bike, ok, maybe I'm interested.
The dealer did tell me a couple things I don't think are accurate, maybe you guys can help. I have been looking at the new BMW 1600 but have been rethinking that move for a few reasons. I told him this and he told me that one of the problems with the BMW is that the BlueTooth system only works with one helmet and that one cost $900. OK, whatever. The other thing he told me was that the 1800 will get better MPG than my 1500. I get 40-45 MPG on my 1500 I thoght I had always heard the 1800 was closer to 35. Neither of these things are deal breakers but....

What do you guys think, is this a good price on a new 1800? Is this dealer just telling me what he thinks I want to hear?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
21,000 for a new wing would be a deal breaker for me.. That is a good price not that much above what you planned on spending ..that being said that is top doller for the other bikes I would offer a couple of grand less for the older wings and be prepaired to walk ..they may very well call

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Maybe the 06 has more options than the 08 did, ABS, NAV, air bag. 21k is not a bad price on a new one.
If you get that good of mileage from your 1500 that is exceptional, generally 1800s do get better mileage, usually 40 or better.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
My brother has the BMW 1600 & he was right about the BT & helmet. Also he rides about 16k miles a year & goes through 2 tires a year, plus only Bridgestone & Metzler make a tire to fit.
If your dealer won't work with you check other dealers stock & make a road trip out of a new bike.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Mileage on the 1800's should be from 40 to as much as 48mpg during warm weather/summer blend/ethanol free gas. Higher mileage is one up, no luggage, I-State miles @ a steady 70mph.
Tires @ 41psi frt, 42psi rear.
Lake Hill Motors is advertising 2012 Level I for $19,000!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Last years trip was a solid 35 mpg with my 2012 wing pulling an escapade trailer. I never coould get over 25 mpg with any of my 1500's pulling a trailer. I had an 88, a 94 and a 98, 1500. On one trip in 1991 we had the 1988 GL1500 pulling an escapade trailer through Iowa in the wind and got 11 mpg. The wind was so strong that when we stopped for gas I feared it would tip over the bike if I didn't stay on the bike.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I guess the dealer was right with what he said. I haven't liked dealing with dealers for so long whether car dealer or bike dealer, too concerned they're just after my money. I need to take a breath and relax.........

The unfortunate thing is that they have a new 2012 for just over $19,000 but I don't think I can do the two-tone. My wife told not to buy the 2012, she doesn't want to listen to me whine about the color for the next 10 years. But $1,000 is a lot of accessories....

Thanks guys. I'll post pictures if/when I get the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
IF you buy a brand new 1800 that you don't particularly like right out of the box (undesirable color, etc.)...you'll kick yourself for years to come. Why buy new if you're not getting exactly what you want? In that case, buy used and save some real money. It's not like there's a shortage of used 1800s around. You may need to expand your search area but it could be worth it. I've seen some VERY nice earlier 1800s with low miles around our area in the $12k neighborhood. Just takes patience and research.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have considered painting a 2012, even thought about what other color would look good with the Red so I don't have to worry about color matching. I have also considered waiting until spring, summer, fall, whenever I come across a deal I like. The good thing is I still have my 1500 that I can ride for a long time yet if I don't find the right 1800.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
the 2013 red is all one color if you are going new.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I read an ad in the new Wingworld from a dealer in Arkansa today.2012(new)Wings starting at $18,500.They will even pick you up at the airport if you want to fly in and ride it home.F6B's starting at $17,500.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a '12 Wing in Pearl White and Gray. I love it so far. My VStrom mechanic told me the BMW has a serious electronic braking (the delayed release anyway) that hits at about 10 to 12k miles and is a $5k expense. Sticking with my new Wing. $19500 was my price.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
My 1800 got about the same mileage that my 1500 did, very little difference. Pretty much 38-43mpg depending.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
I read an ad in the new Wingworld from a dealer in Arkansa today.2012(new)Wings starting at $18,500.They will even pick you up at the airport if you want to fly in and ride it home.F6B's starting at $17,500.
The dealer in Searcy (Sunrise Honda) has been painting 2012s, and probably 13s to a solid color, looks much better to me.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The dealer in Searcy (Sunrise Honda) has been painting 2012s, and probably 13s to a solid color, looks much better to me.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of the silver side panels.I'd actually like a Wing all blacked out like the F6B.Not a big fan of all those shiny bits either on any bike.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I wouldn't even consider buying a used bike from a dealer. There will be thousands of $$$ in fees. We have 10% sales tax here, so on a $15000 bike that's $1500 just given to the government. They also usually charge between $300 and $500 just to do the paperwork so they can sell it to you. So that's close to $2000 just thrown away.

AZ also has a scam going on the registration/plates. If you sell a vehicle with a lot of time left on the plates, it cannot be transferred to the new owner. You can get some of it back, but not much, and the new owner has to pay a full years registration. At least they don't have sales tax on private sales here. I don't even believe that is legal, but some states have it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
No sales tax in OR. Saves a heck of a lot on new vehicles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.