Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Called my local Honda dealer for estimate for carb clean on recently purchased '88 GL1500. His guess was $400 - $800 if nothing but carb clean and possibly diaphragms. Very high number compared to what similar service has cost me in the past on other bikes. Is this typical for the six cyl gold wings?

If yes how hard is it for a reasonably competent mechanic (me). I have done engine rebuilds on several different bikes and cleaned & balanced a lot of carbs in my day. thx. Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

$400 sounds about right Mark. There is almost a days work just getting the carbs out of a GL1500, there is a lot of stuff to strip off. Many dealers just don't want to work on Goldwings and give outrageous quotes in the hope that you will go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
...Many dealers just don't want to work on Goldwings and give outrageous quotes in the hope that you will go somewhere else.
I can vouch for that, and quite often its the dealers who rarely work on Wings that gives the biggest quotes.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

If they rarely work on GoldWings, do you really want them experimenting on your?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Run a fair amount (not too much) of "Sea Foam' through them and see if that works before you pay to remove them?:baffled:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thx for the responses guys. I'll shop around a bit. I am already trying the seafoam approach and it has helped some.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Some guys have poured into the carbs and left it sit over night, not sure how they do that?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

K44 from the Wynn's company is really good as well!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Turn off the fuel petcock. Take out the carb drain screws . Let the gas out of the bowls. Disconect the fuel line on the carb side of the fuel pump. pour the seafoam or k44 in the line untill the bowls are full . turn off the kill switch and then turn the engine over for 3 or 4 seconds to get the cleaner in the ports Let set for 2 to 12 hours. Re-drain the bowls, reconect the fuel line and try it then. It may run rough untill all the cleaner is out.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Mark, what's the problem. May or may not be your carbs.

Off-idle stumble, hard getting a maintainable idle, plugs fouled ?

All of these, while they may be a carb issue, also point to the most common problems in early 1500's, vacuum leaks.

Take a look at some of the vacuum line ends, cracks, brittle or broken off.

Take some time and strip off the bodywork, (engine covers, fairing lowers and shelter) start the engine, spray an aerosol carb cleaner at some of the vacuum lines, make sure and use the straw, an idle increase will indicate a vacuum leak. You may be surprised to see how many leaks you have. Repair as many as you can before you start with the carbs.

If you've already done carbs, you'll have no trouble with the Gold Wing carbs. You will need an 18" #2 phillips screwdriver (got mine at Home Depot)as the carb to intake isolator is under the carb, you need to put the screwdriver in from the front above the radiator to get at these screws, you'll also need a hemostat or two to pinch the coolant hoses that heat the carbs, other than that, they're very straight forward.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Problems are as follows:
1. Flat spot off idle with a noticable surge at about 3000 rpm. This has shown some improvement in 300 miles since I added seafoam to the fuel. Will run a few more tank fulls and see if it improves some more.

2. Below 3000 rpm the power delivery is "notchy", not the smooth seamless flow I expected. doesn't seem to occur above 3000 rpm.

3. Cruise below 3000 rpm it sometimes feels like it is missing.

Overall I love the bike. Help from this forum has been great and is much appreciated.
Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Did the bike have the slow speed upgrade done to it. If so it should have an "X" on the frame, I believe below the battery, will need to remove the battery side cover to check.

If the bike starts and idles well, and has good characteristics above 3,000 RPM, I'd lean towards vacuum leaks.

You'll be better off trying to diagnose the problem youself before bringing the bike into the dealer. The dealer will do what you ask them to, multiple times if asked for more money each time, before the real problem may be discovered. Or you can pay them to troubleshoot. Some problems mask others or appear to be similiar to others, so depending on your dealers mechanics skill level, you may be back over and over.

The original upgrade ECU, couple of air lines and a water line was to improve "Parking Lot Manuevering" if you are having problems to 3000 rpm, this probably wouldn't help.

I'd still recommend checking for vacuum leaks.

How do the plugs look, all even color, fouling at different RPM's.

Have you had the shelter, side covers and fairing lowers off yet.

I may have a little time available next week if you want to ride down, I'm just south of the twin cities and we could do a cursory look, you can try my '89, it's about as good a low speed responder as I've seen in 1500's, it had a lot of vacuum leaks and 5 carb jobs done. P.O. had the carbs gone through every spring, I had them done the first year I had it, then I found the cause, yep you guessed it vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bike does not have the upgrade (no "X"). performance has improved with 2 tanks of seafoam additive. Still doesn't seem to run just right but I'm pretty fussy.

I would defineitely consider driving down (I am just north of st. Cloud.) Seems like you been there done that and I've no problem learning from someone willing to help. ALso great reason to go riding and it'd be worth it just to see how all the covers come off. I'm pretty flexible on day and time. If you like contact me at marks @ customstoneinteriors.com and we could work it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.