Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Mark, what's the problem. May or may not be your carbs.

Off-idle stumble, hard getting a maintainable idle, plugs fouled ?

All of these, while they may be a carb issue, also point to the most common problems in early 1500's, vacuum leaks.

Take a look at some of the vacuum line ends, cracks, brittle or broken off.

Take some time and strip off the bodywork, (engine covers, fairing lowers and shelter) start the engine, spray an aerosol carb cleaner at some of the vacuum lines, make sure and use the straw, an idle increase will indicate a vacuum leak. You may be surprised to see how many leaks you have. Repair as many as you can before you start with the carbs.

If you've already done carbs, you'll have no trouble with the Gold Wing carbs. You will need an 18" #2 phillips screwdriver (got mine at Home Depot)as the carb to intake isolator is under the carb, you need to put the screwdriver in from the front above the radiator to get at these screws, you'll also need a hemostat or two to pinch the coolant hoses that heat the carbs, other than that, they're very straight forward.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Did the bike have the slow speed upgrade done to it. If so it should have an "X" on the frame, I believe below the battery, will need to remove the battery side cover to check.

If the bike starts and idles well, and has good characteristics above 3,000 RPM, I'd lean towards vacuum leaks.

You'll be better off trying to diagnose the problem youself before bringing the bike into the dealer. The dealer will do what you ask them to, multiple times if asked for more money each time, before the real problem may be discovered. Or you can pay them to troubleshoot. Some problems mask others or appear to be similiar to others, so depending on your dealers mechanics skill level, you may be back over and over.

The original upgrade ECU, couple of air lines and a water line was to improve "Parking Lot Manuevering" if you are having problems to 3000 rpm, this probably wouldn't help.

I'd still recommend checking for vacuum leaks.

How do the plugs look, all even color, fouling at different RPM's.

Have you had the shelter, side covers and fairing lowers off yet.

I may have a little time available next week if you want to ride down, I'm just south of the twin cities and we could do a cursory look, you can try my '89, it's about as good a low speed responder as I've seen in 1500's, it had a lot of vacuum leaks and 5 carb jobs done. P.O. had the carbs gone through every spring, I had them done the first year I had it, then I found the cause, yep you guessed it vacuum leaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.