Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dealer service quote reaonable?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cldryder 
#1 ·
imported post

Called my local Honda dealer for estimate for carb clean on recently purchased '88 GL1500. His guess was $400 - $800 if nothing but carb clean and possibly diaphragms. Very high number compared to what similar service has cost me in the past on other bikes. Is this typical for the six cyl gold wings?

If yes how hard is it for a reasonably competent mechanic (me). I have done engine rebuilds on several different bikes and cleaned & balanced a lot of carbs in my day. thx. Mark in MN

Discussion starter · #6 ·
imported post

thx for the responses guys. I'll shop around a bit. I am already trying the seafoam approach and it has helped some.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
imported post

Problems are as follows:
1. Flat spot off idle with a noticable surge at about 3000 rpm. This has shown some improvement in 300 miles since I added seafoam to the fuel. Will run a few more tank fulls and see if it improves some more.

2. Below 3000 rpm the power delivery is "notchy", not the smooth seamless flow I expected. doesn't seem to occur above 3000 rpm.

3. Cruise below 3000 rpm it sometimes feels like it is missing.

Overall I love the bike. Help from this forum has been great and is much appreciated.
Mark in MN

Discussion starter · #13 ·
imported post

Bike does not have the upgrade (no "X"). performance has improved with 2 tanks of seafoam additive. Still doesn't seem to run just right but I'm pretty fussy.

I would defineitely consider driving down (I am just north of st. Cloud.) Seems like you been there done that and I've no problem learning from someone willing to help. ALso great reason to go riding and it'd be worth it just to see how all the covers come off. I'm pretty flexible on day and time. If you like contact me at marks @ customstoneinteriors.com and we could work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.