Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a previous thread last week i explained my head on crash ,now the trials begin.

my bike still runs and have ridden it with no noticeable differences. the outward damage is mostly cosmetic, scraped up crash bars, snapped off left mirror, small paint scrapes, trim ground through, small windshield scrapes, small cracks in dash, passenger backrest scraped, passenger armrest torn, hiway peg tore off ect...i am insisting that a qualified goldwing mechanic go over the bike to make sure there is no hidden damages. the stablizing bar on forks was slightly moved, and lower center fairng piece not lined up.

has any one gone through making sure that the insurance company settles fairly? i don't want to lose. the appraiser says the insurance company will try to repair but needs to be oem parts which are no longer available or should should replace same in as good condition with same or less miles. they reported it as an well cared for classic and have found them from 6,000 to 7,500. he says the might replace with simular model if can't find same.

my concern is, it's fuel injected which i love, has cb which i use, has trailer hitch plus matching trailer. it also has only 44,000 miles.

does any one have experience or knowledge of my options and hopes?

i have been to one dealer will go to the other two tomarrow, first one says they will not touch it. the insurence wants it to be a dealer.

now the saddest part!!!!! i will have to leave bike for weeks or months which means no ridding durring this great weather and missing weekly rides with local club( does this get included with pain an suffering).

trying to include photos.

thanks for any help, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Ok, first, you should know, I WAS married to an insurance adjuster. The bottom line is, the adjusters job is to save the insurance company every dime he/she can. Period. As I know it, you have every right to pick who you want to do the repairs. And it doesn't matter if you choose a dealer. It's your choice. Insist on OEM replacement parts, and no bondo/plastic repairs. If something is cracked, replace it. A lawyer would be great, but there goes your money, or 33.3% anyway. I would hesitate to sign ANYTHING yet. They are, more than likely, going to offer you a low settlement first time around. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I have seen, in person, an adjuster come in at a settlment that would not come close to the $$ needed, even for a budget repair. Be warey my friend, and read before you sign! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
All you can do is hope you get someone fair to deal with. Good luck, I hope it works out the way you want it to.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I just about bought a 87 1200 with the same or less damage layed it down to avoid a cage. The guy was asking $1000 for it as is. We haggled for a month or so but could not get him lower so I passed. Present value of you bike my be around that mark or lower. Just some info to help you find a direction. I can't see them not writing it off. And they probly can make ou go to a shop that is on there approved list.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Motorcycles don't generally get "Repaired" like a car does in an accident. They get parts removed/replaced until they're right.

You've got a $5,000 motorcycle with a salvage value of $1,800. That means any repairs past $3,200 totals the bike.

WIth manufacturer parts unavailable, you're going for total regardless of what you do. Rather than focusing on fixing the bike, I would change my focus to maximizing the payout and selecting a replacement LTD or SEi.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Motorcycles don't generally get "Repaired" like a car does in an accident. They get parts removed/replaced until they're right.

You've got a $5,000 motorcycle with a salvage value of $1,800. That means any repairs past $3,200 totals the bike.

WIth manufacturer parts unavailable, you're going for total regardless of what you do. Rather than focusing on fixing the bike, I would change my focus to maximizing the payout and selecting a replacement LTD or SEi.
+1 good advise

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts

Plus you have the choice to buy the bike back from the insurance company with a salvage title & make the repairs yourself....-Rich

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the appraiser finally figured out what i told him, not many oem parts available he says they may pay me for bike and let me keep it and fix it my self. i'm holding out for upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.