Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

Bring back the Silverwing in a 500cc-800cc format. Bring back the CB 200-500 twins they were great! Your current NC700 or whatever entry level touring bike is way overpriced and wouldn't :thumbsup:buy one even if I could afford it. Take a break on hiding all the engine parts with cheap plastic. Thanks...Could be a customer

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

With a header of a post reading "Dear Honda" I just had to look:cheeky1:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would love to have a Silverwing in a 750-800, or even 1000cc size. I once owned a GL500 Silverwing Interstate, and it was a great bike, small and manageable, and perfectly capable as a solo touring bike, except the engine was too small. It turned way too fast at highway speeds, and sounded like it was going to fly apart. My Vulcan 750 v-twin turns a lot slower at those speeds.

I would also be interested in a 1000cc Goldwing Interstate, with the same basic engine layout as the original, and priced at no more than $15000.

The NC700 is a joke. I might be interested at half the price. Twelve grand for a 700cc twin? Not even Harley or BMW can get away with that.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

A Silverwing in the 600-800 range would be the bomb! Built for a single rider only with comparable storage the GL 1500 for touring. A lot of older guys find the bulk of the 'wings hard to deal with. It wouldn't have to be a high revving screamer, but capable of sustained highway speeds without sounding like it's trying to explode.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey,

IMO the fad of large displacement bike engines is pointless. I had a silverwing 500 and it pulled me and a passenger around fine 70mph on the highway all day long. Like you guys said could have used another gear though. I think honda is missing the boat ignoring small motorcycles. Gas is never going to stop going up for whatever reason and in between now and the future of electric cars people are going to want fuel effecient vehicles. Even the little CB200T I started on could do highway speeds. It got 80 mpg!

·
79 Posts
imported post

I would like it if they reintroduced the Silverwing 650. That was a nice bike, with enough power to be "OK."

I like that; "capable of sustained highway speeds without sounding like it's trying to explode." Very descriptive. And accurate.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Sadly they did re-introduce the 650 Silverwing...

Don't get me wrong I have ridden one and they are very nice, but when I suggested one to my wife for her first bike I had to duck really quick...

Blaine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I miss the 75 CB360T I started out on.:action: Those old twins had a better sound then these v's now.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I just hate those "mega scooters" I have a scooter, but it is a vintage Vespa 150cc 2 stroke. Whole different thing. I have a 250 Rebel, and after relocating the pegs and controls 4" farther forward, and having the seat modified by an upholstery shop, I actually fit on it. I bought it just for the pleasure of riding a small bike again after all those years. The Nighthawk 250 would have been a far better choice. As far as I know, it was the last small standard produced by Japan, inc. It's big brother the Nighthawk 750 was the last midsized standard. Please Honda, bring them back. I did look at the 700X, but was not impressed. IMO the CB750 was a far better motorcycle, and it actually looked like a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

I said it before and I'll say it again! Honda should reintroduce the naked 4cylinder basic wing. You can dress it to suit your needs and it's at a manageable weight. You couldn't afford to get me to part with my 83 1100. A sixth gear would be nice. Otherwise It's just right for me. The mods I've madeto make it my own such as the 2000 valk seat just made more comfortable for me. I'm a six footer with long legs. The valk seat was inexpensive and better looking than an after market seat to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I thought you were going to say something like "Dear Honda, Want my business? Drop the price about 10,000." That is where I'm looking.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Dear Honda...want MY business...bring back the original GL1800 body style, keep building in Marysville OHIO and don't release a new model until it really IS a new model.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

Sakryn wrote:
Sadly they did re-introduce the 650 Silverwing... but when I suggested one to my wife for her first bike I had to duck really quick... Blaine
Maybe she'll like this suggestion and you won't have to duck.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I no longer own the Rebel, I had originally bought it for my youngest daughter, who is an excellent dirt bike rider, and was showing some interest in street riding. I had mixed feelings about it, but she is pretty level headed. She got her permit, and did some riding on the street, but the crazy traffic scared her, and she said she didn't think she would ever be comfortable on the street. I told here that after 37 years and close to half a million miles, neither was I, but did it anyway. My theory is if you let yourself get comfortable, you won't last very long.

So anyway, I started fixing up the Rebel for me to ride, and it was ridable on the freeway, even with my 220 pounds on it. But it had to be ridden at full throttle 100% of the time. I already had too many bikes, so I sold it.

I still say Honda needs to get back to basics with the Goldwing, much like the original 1100 Interstate, which could be had without even a stereo. It was very manageable compared to the 1500 and 1800.

I know I am probably the only one here who does not like gadgets. I like a simple bike to just ride on. I love to just go out and ride all day, or several days, without any distractions (other than cell phone users on the road, which seems to be unavoidable, something else that didn't exist when the original Interstate was introduced)

A vintage 'Wing suits my needs perfectly, but I seem to have problems keeping them going. I would love to have a brand new "vintage" Goldwing. I would be in heaven.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

riffraff wrote:
I said it before and I'll say it again! Honda should reintroduce the naked 4cylinder basic wing. You can dress it to suit your needs and it's at a manageable weight. You couldn't afford to get me to part with my 83 1100. A sixth gear would be nice. Otherwise It's just right for me. The mods I've madeto make it my own such as the 2000 valk seat just made more comfortable for me. I'm a six footer with long legs. The valk seat was inexpensive and better looking than an after market seat to me.
That looks cool and comfortable. :thumbsup: Good ideabringing the "stock"Goldwing back too. You don't see enough stock bikes at all. :waving:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Honda has a number of things to do before I will consider a new one:
1. Finish the design. I dislike the numerous lines in the 2012. Looks like they designed new saddle bags and forgot about the top case.
2. Detachable saddle bags. Even Harley has progressed that far. They know how as the ST detaches.
3. Should have an electric windshield.
4. Better front end. I finally had to go to Progressive. Then I find out they only put a spring in one fork. 1990 technology for a 2000 bike.
5. What about runflat tires? Since we only have two (and no spare) it would seem to make some sense to give us a chance to get to help.
6. Whats this with a $1000 CB radio? Get the price down and offer a dual band with FRS.
7. Could use 6 gear.
8. Have given some thought to a 2000+ cc (with 6 gear) but have lots of power as it is.
I will continue to ride the 05 I have until there are significant changes made for the better and not just some minor cosmetic changes.

·
Administrator
21,855 Posts
imported post

With the disaster that was titled "Pacific Coast" and the new tragedy, NT, I think Honda has tried to please the folks who say they want a mid-sized tourer. But sales keep telling them a different story.

Maybe the real thing can't be built at a reasonable cost.

Other manufacturers have learned by looking.

What people really want is a cruiser. That's what is selling.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

dear honda, how about a new 1000cc s.o.c. flat 6 with longer wheelbase (meaning room for big feet), no fairing, short stroke motor (narrower and more rpms), and pay attention to lite weight. THAT would be a bike I could really groove on.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
With the disaster that was titled "Pacific Coast" and the new tragedy, NT, I think Honda has tried to please the folks who say they want a mid-sized tourer. But sales keep telling them a different story.

Maybe the real thing can't be built at a reasonable cost.,-This...

Other manufacturers have learned by looking.

What people really want is a cruiser. That's what is selling.<--and this right here...
BAM!

There it is. Honda took a bath on the 500/650 Silverwings. They got sold at cost to clear the warehouse. Same with the naked 1100/1200 'Wings.

They only took a minor bath on the PC 800, since the engine was left over from the '83-'87 750 Shadow. But they still got sold at cost.

Now, they have invested a lot into the developement of the engine used in the NC700X and NC700S. I's a great unit for it's intended purpose. And at $6999.00 for the NC700X ($6500.oo around here), they'll sell a bunch. I'm not sure how the naked NC700S will be accepted, we'll have to wait until next year to see. It may sell better since it's lower to the ground.

I stood next to the NC700X at the Honda display Barber Vintage Weekend.

I watched 3 or 4 times as many people check out the NC700 as the VFR1200 sitting next to it. New riders and old guys were intrigued by the low price and great mileage (73mpg !). It will bring new people in to the sport, and keep old guys in that can't hold up a 'Wing anymore.

It's a game changer....no doubt about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.