Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Left front fork has decals stuck on it. They appear to be decals granting access to a naval base. Anyone know the best way to remove these things? I don't want to scrape them off and risk scratching up the finish on the forks. Advance Auto has some decal remover but if there is a homemade solution I'd rather go that way.

Thanks! :waving:

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

A Heat gun used gently to loosen them then use goo gone or something similar for the residue that will likely be left behind.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I use acetone [nailpolish remover] and a piece of plastic to scrape them off. I've never used it on a bike's windshield ... just unpainted metal and auto glass.

Aircraft paint remover works, too [protect paint first] , on non-painted metal areas and available from NAPA stores + an excellent wheel cleaner. The aluinum paint remover will also remove the yellowing varnish from the forks of older bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have used WD-40 to get stickers off. Let it soak a bit then rub off with a cloth.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
A Heat gun used gently to loosen them then use goo gone or something similar for the residue that will likely be left behind.
That's the method I've always used. Heat guns can be pretty hot so just hold it close enough to get the sticker pealed off and then wipe it down with goo gone. I've even used a hair dryer when I've been without a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

2nd on the WD, or mineral spirits(won't hurt plastic or cured paint) but will remove old wax from original paint.

Aircraft Stripper will do the trick very quickly too as mentioned but don't get it anywhere else. Just removed a decal from my lowers to polish them up. I used a drop cloth or old towel right behind each fork leg to keep it away from everything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.