Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I have recently laid very greatful hands on a 79 GL1000. It is going to get a new paint job. However I would like to find the website of a decal dealer that has the Hond and Goldwing emblems and decals.

I do not want to jury rig the paintjob I would like to buy as close to original as possible without breaking the piggybank open too bad.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I know in my hunt for these babies that the one on the tank was vertually inpossible. I don,t think the gl1000 had that but happy hunting.

Just a thought are your old ones just in need of a re furbish or are they missing. The badges are not that hard to re enamel and gold paint. It just takes forward planning and applying the paint in the right order. I re did all mine and they are impossible to tell from the originals

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

gold top.... frenchy has complete replica decal kits, I don't know how long they have been in production though... he also has OEM badges as well

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks all for the help. I found most of what I wanted. But would like to hear more about how to re-enamel the badging. Bob

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

the paint order for badges is metalic gold on the base. This can be plasticoat or some equivilent. To prep rub over the raised areas with fine wire wool. Remove all the flaked paint.The black is next I used engine black. this works well. for the colur infill use model paints. Rub over with wire wool to clean the edges.

For a different look try glass paint instead of enamel.

Two coats of clear keep the whole lot in place.

On badges that are brushed on the surface this just needs rubbing in the direction of the grain

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

If you want something different try thin copper leaf instead of paint. Its applied on PVA glue and the excess brushes off. Gold leaf does the same. You must used Shelac over it to seal.

All the above are from art shops and not that dear.

Shelac can be over sprayed with clear to seal from the elements.

I found that the copper leaf changes colour with age and gives an old gold look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.