1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy Gang,

looking for a bit of advice.

97 gl1500 SE, but this is a general question.

I have got 2 nice gold Eagle decals im wanting to put either on the trunk sides or saddlebags lids. I have the patiance and grace of a bull elephant. When putting on decals or pin strips i know ill need to make shure the surface is nice and clean will use de-natured alcohal to clean area, but does anyone know a good method for putting these on to ensure no bubbles and you can get good placement?? i have heard you can lightly wet the surface, put the decal on then pat dry and this will give you a little bit leeway to center the decal and smooth out the air?? anyone ever tried this or know of a better way ??

Thanks all

Troy

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Try water with a bit dish washing soap, spray on then you can put decals and and move them about,and smooth them, when water dries they will be in place and stay.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hi to another okie... there used to be a solution that you could buy that helped make the decals lay flatter. I had used it with decals on my train collection. you might try a trin/hobie shop to see. Sorry but I cannot remember the name of the solution.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Chief43, gave great advice. Some guys even use small pliable squee-gees to work the decals down smooth.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
hi to another okie... there used to be a solution that you could buy that helped make the decals lay flatter. I had used it with decals on my train collection. you might try a trin/hobie shop to see. Sorry but I cannot remember the name of the solution.

The decal setting solution you talk about is great for the type of decals used on models, but either won't work on standard "stick on" decals, or it may even prevent adhesion. The dish soap and water combination (called "wet water" of all things) is best. Doesn't have to be much soap, about two-three drops per gallon - just enough to make the water feel slippery between your fingers.

Jack

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

The soap & water solution is the way to do this. Once the decal is in place just let it dry or help it along with a hair dryer (most of the water will go away with a squeegee as anyway). The Honda decals are really strong adhesion, impossible to move when you stick them down, so the soap & water trick helps there as well.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tkjones2 wrote:
Howdy Gang,

looking for a bit of advice.

97 gl1500 SE, but this is a general question.

I have got 2 nice gold Eagle decals im wanting to put either on the trunk sides or saddlebags lids. I have the patiance and grace of a bull elephant. When putting on decals or pin strips i know ill need to make shure the surface is nice and clean will use de-natured alcohal to clean area, but does anyone know a good method for putting these on to ensure no bubbles and you can get good placement?? i have heard you can lightly wet the surface, put the decal on then pat dry and this will give you a little bit leeway to center the decal and smooth out the air?? anyone ever tried this or know of a better way ??
Troy,application method really depends on the decal type & material it is made from. Some decals aren't made to be installed with the wet method & will do nothing but trap air & water under them, or not even stick at all. Others (wet-install) types will allow the water to be worked out & some will even remove their own air bubbles after parked in the hotsun for a while. You really need to find out what your have there. (or practice on a like decal before installing your good ones).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Troy, Mr1200 has it just the way signwriters do it, using the masking tape method. I watched the guy do my van signs recently and was amazed at the simplicity of it.

Now I am no expert, but I can see that it gives you as much atime as you like to line them up before taking the plunge and peeling off any backing paper.

That said, a trial run wouldn't go amiss, better to practice before hand.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.