Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently purchased a 91 GL1500 with 33,00 miles on it. From the beginning I noticed a pronounced drive train vibration when decelerating from highway speeds. This week end I took a 900 mile trip and the vibration seems to be getting worse. I suspect that it is in the drive shaft or universal joints.
Can anyone confirm my suppositions or refute them? If it is in the drive shaft, what kind of job is it to repair it myself?
The bike also produces a lot of rear tire noise due to cupping of the tire. I understand that this is common with Dunlop E3's. Could this be my vibration problem? zIt doesn't seem to vibrate abnormally during acceleration.
Larry

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

My guess from reading previous threads is the U joint in the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

This is sometimes caused by the splines on the drive shaft being dry, not lubricated. Be sure when you lube them to use moly 60 paste or better. The 60 means its 60% moly which contains lead so it adhears and fills gaps or slight play between metals.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

My 89 does the same thing. It first did it on my ride home from picking it up in July. I hope its an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

If it happens when there is no torque on the drive shaft, it's the ujoint or the splines. It will stop if you add a bit of throttle.

:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

My 91 SE does the same thing and was told that it is the way the driveshaft was re-installed after being removed (seems if the driveshaft is NOT put back in the SAME spline it was removed from) that the viberation appears.I have grown used to mine doing it,has not increased any worse so I assume it is ok

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

biker3777 wrote:
My 91 SE does the same thing and was told that it is the way the driveshaft was re-installed after being removed (seems if the driveshaft is NOT put back in the SAME spline it was removed from) that the viberation appears
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: That's great! I love how dealers and service people tell people things to cover what they don't know for sure or to blow them off.

This one is a good one.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say it is the driveline. The front yoke HAS to be ONE TOOTH OFF,running ahead of the rear yoke by one tooth, or it will vibrate. There is a spring at the front union of the yoke and shaft, that you must compress foreward to get it off. Not too hard. But getting it back in you must use a wire to hold the assembly in the fully compressed state, and cut it loose after installation. That wire spring compressor will take a ton of work out of reinstallation. On mine, there is a grease fitting in the rear u-joint, but none on the front.Grab the driveline and try to move it side to side. A tiny amount of play is expected, but alot of movement means u-joint is worn. Be sure to lube as stated above with MOLY60! No other grease is recommended! Regular grease will work for a while, but gets thrown off the splines after awhile, and you're back to square one. It is a job, but it can be done if you take your time and follow someones lead who has done it. After you do it once, it gets easier! If you need a drawing of the "offset" teeth thing, I got one somewhere. That cupped tire may be the culprit,too, so don't count that out just yet. If the tire is cupping, that leads me to the shocks.(?) jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

The Moly 60 is a must, enough said..say every 15K miles. Do not even START looking for the problem until a new rear tire is installed and not cupped. I suggest a new rear tire and while in there repack wheel bearings and Moly 60 the drive shaft and spline gear to hub and new 85-90 weight oil in rear drive. Then re test..problem will most likely be resolved and return with rear tire cupping. Look at shocks and swing arm bearings then.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
imported post

Check other things also. My 1500 developed a vibration on de-cel on our last trip. Checked the obvious as recommended above. Turned out to be a loose clamp on the right exaust at the header causing themuffler rattle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.