Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My cooling fans on the '88 1500 run anytime the key is on. For some reason, my Haynes manual does not include any diagrams for the cooling fan circuit. I wanna see if there's a relay in there that may have failed closed.

The manual doesn't appear to have this data either.

Anybody ??

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Hi Wing 1

Send me your email and I will return a Word document that may have what you are looking for. I copied and pasted from my PDF files and the file is too big for this site. By the way I am heading out in the next hour and I will look for your mail. Otherwise, I will be home just before 9:00 tonight.

Hugh

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi you need to check the termo switch under the rad thats most likely closed

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

There is no relay, only the thermoswitch on the bottom of the left radiator. Never seen one of those type switches fail closed. If it has done this since you got the bike the PO may have jumpered the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Honda 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:
No relay, just 10 amp fuse (Hot in ON) in the Fuse/Relay Box. Radiator Fan Temperature Switch supplies ground forboth fans.
agnogel most likely correct; Radiator Fan Temperature Switch closed.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
. . . . . . Never seen one of those type switches fail closed. . . . . . .

Me neither, Dave. That's why I was looking for something elsecompleting the circuit.

That's exactly what I have, though - The thermo switch completes the ground when cold.

I'm trying to cross-reference something for Honda Part #37760-MT2-003, so I can get it running (without a toggle switch) for the weekend from Advance or NAPA.

Thanks, guys.

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

You have to make sure of the temperature parameters of a replacement. Closes at 208 to 216 F. a lower temp switch might make the fan run all the time after the engine warms up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.