Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

At my local Honda Dealer my choices areMetzeler, Dunlop Elite 3's, or Stones..

The local dealer only wants 320.00 for a set of my choice installed.

I have heard bad things about all of the tires. If I get the Stones, which ones should I look for? Is there a preffered Metzeler? If they have Dunlop Elite 2's would those be better?

What wouldYOU have them install?

Right now I have a set of DURA's with only 1,000 miles on them, but I must have run over a knife blade with the rear tire because it has a straight cut across the tread about 1/2of an inch deep, so I no longertrust the tire. My local Honda dealer wants MORE money to replace JUST the rear tire than they do to replaceBOTH front and back. 340.00 for JUST the rear, but only 320.00 for both Front and Rear. (Tires and Installation). This is a very good price for two tires, but my selections are few.

I need to make up my mind before the week-end, because I want to ride.

Should I just blow them off and get theset of Michelins I really want and then find someone else to install them? TheMichelins are116.00 for the front and the rear will be149.00. I have no idea how much a local shop will charge to install them.

I value everyones opinion so please voice it.

FerrariMX5

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I went through the same thing you are going through. I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot GT's.

My local stealer wanted $70.00 per tire to intall on rims. I had to remove them and take them to him.

He was going to charge me the going per hour labor rate if I just brought the wing in.

I decided to just do it my self. I bought the tire tools and a cheep bead breaker. It took me and my son about 6 hours to do the job. I had to clean the green slime off the rims the PO had put had put in there (this took almost an hour per rim).

Would I do it again.....Yes I would. I now have the tools and it will be cheeper next time....also it will NOT have the green slime in there either.

It is a two person job that is for shure!!!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I had Elite IIs on my 1100 and liked them a lot. Am running Dunlop 404s on my Vulcan and like them. I cannot fault Dunlop tires for grip smooth running, wet conditions, heat or cold. The only tire I haven't been impressed with were the Stones on my Vulcan. they were loud and wore out in 8000 miles.

Bernie

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I realize this is mostly a personally preference thing, but you could do what I did. Ask the dealer how much to order you in the Michelins. Mine did it for close to what I could buy them online for. If your dealer won't do that, maybe look for another shop that will.

If you decide to order them yourself, check out American Motorcycle Tire. They've got great prices and quick shipping in my experience.
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_176_186

John

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I realize this is mostly a personally preference thing, but you could do what I did. Ask the dealer how much to order you in the Michelins. Mine did it for close to what I could buy them online for. If your dealer won't do that, maybe look for another shop that will.

If you decide to order them yourself, check out American Motorcycle Tire. They've got great prices and quick shipping in my experience.
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_176_186

John
That's good advice - I do a similar thing. I am getting the Bridgestone G704 Front and G709 Rear done Friday. I am thinking that working my way through the top recommended tires is my approach.

I did Dunlop stocks - got 14,500 - experienced the cuping about 7,500 and lived with them.

I now have Dunlop EIII's at almost 13,000 - badly cupped anda badfront end wobble between 40 and 60 right now.

Trying the Stones next...

What is really shocking to me is that both of my sets of tires so far "appear" to have plenty of life left - lots of tread, good wet road grip etc... The center rib on the from has become more pronounced and grabs every rut in the raod - which is freaky around here snce lots of road work is being done and they are "grooving" now. So I will change them out. Geez didn't used to replace a tire until it showed "cord" on my other bikes :shock:. The good news is that - my other bikes only got 10,000 to a rear tire (although they got almost 20,000 to a front). I guess I am experiencing the difference in bike types when it comes to tires :gunhead:

Good luck with your next set.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Jluvs2dive,
Those are GREAT prices. Thank you! The Money I save by buying from Amiricanmototire will offset the installation price. I would rather pay a shop to install than to do the work myself. I guess I am getting too old, but I have way too many projects already..

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Black Dog,
I have heard that a lot of what causes the tires to cup has to do with the large fairing we have on the goldwing. Seems it floats up and down and side to side making the tire hunt and squish over and over in a rhythym like dance. Keeping higher pressure in the tire keeps it from squishing as much.

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Glad to help. Rudytold me aboutAmerican MotorcycleTire and I'm glad to forward on that info.

I should reread my posts before I hit send though. My grammar was atrocious. :cheeky1:

·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Ferrarimx5 wrote:
Black Dog,
I have heard that a lot of what causes the tires to cup has to do with the large fairing we have on the goldwing. Seems it floats up and down and side to side making the tire hunt and squish over and over in a rhythym like dance. Keeping higher pressure in the tire keeps it from squishing as much.
I can't say what causes the cupping, but I can say with my last set of Michelins the back tire was badly cupped on the sides at 16,000 miles. There was still decent tread left, but I replaced them because of the cupping. I was anal about the pressure too, and they were never down more than 2PSI when I checked them. I kept 41 PSI in the back and 39 PSI in the front. I was happy with getting 16K out of them though.

John

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I ordered a set of the Michelins about a month ago and had hem installed. I hade the EII's and the were ok, quite, comefy ride but wore out to quick. The Michelins are on a little louder and harder ride but they handle great in wet and dry. Glad I paid the extra money to order them and have them installed. As far as the noise they make I just crank the radio. lol I was considering the EIII's but I couldnt pass on the price of the Michelins.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,521 Posts
imported post

My personal experience is that the Michelin Pilot GTs are definitely worth waiting for.

I can't express how much safer I felt with them on my 1500. The handling is superb.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

My local dealer mounts and balances my tires for 22.00 each, off the bike.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,521 Posts
imported post

Just throw in some DynaBeads and forget the balancing.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

As far as I can tell........ I was able to get 24,000 miles out of the elite II I had on my 1200. And I like the white letter look. I may put the Elite II's on the 1500 this winter...... or the 404's just because of the white letter availability issue in the future. Either way I like the tread pattern better, Although some cuss them, they have been handling everything I have been throwing at them just fine. I do not like the EIII's that are on board now. They howl like kicked dogs and push up in the corners like nothing I have ever seen. My worn out EII handled better. Probably gonna go with the 404's or the pilots..... just because of white letter availability later though.

Who else has white letter tires for a goldwing?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

I like the E3's. My friend and I got the rear tire off in 1/2 hr. It's not that hard with a lift. After you've done it a time or two, you can take shortcuts. The local Yamaha shop will change it on the rim for $20. I had good results from MAW online.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I just pulled a Dunlop E-2 off the front that had 18,000 miles, if it didn't have a cut across the tread I would have run it a little longer, I replaced it with a Dunlop E-3.
Did the same on the rear a few months ago, I am happy with E-3s.:)

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,885 Posts
imported post

My E-3s seem to handle ok ???Onlytires that have been on my 1500 since I got it. but I hate the howl. Very loud and irritating. Will never go with another E-3 for that reason.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Blackdog,
Ay Dave, I hope you have the same good experience with the Stones on your GL1800 as I have had. I run 38psi Front and 41psi rear. Seems to work great for me, both one and two up riding. Normal front tread wear life is 14 - 18,000 miles and no cupping. I do get some minor rear tire cupping, but I attribute that to my engine braking and hard accelleration fun!
Hope you like the Stones. I have been advocating them to the guys at Lompoc for quite a while.
Corventure Dave:action:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

My local dealer matched the price I found on the internet for the Michelin Pilot GT's. His cost for installing was high, IMHO, but cheaper than if I brought in my own tires. Total cost is is 340. Probably worth it to get the tire you want.

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

My EIII's were howling and cupped bad a 10,000 miles. Went this time with the Pilot GT's , make more noise than the EIII's and cost me $525 installed at the dealer. Sure won't be back there. Time will tell how well they hold up, I keep the tire pressures up every time I ride. The EIII's only made noise going around a turn, the GT's howl when upright and only quit when going around a turn. Very noticible and get tired of the constant howl. What to do, maybe just can it all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.