Status
Not open for further replies.

Decode your VIN

27K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  wingern-nl 
#1 ·
#3 ·
imported post

Thanks Chippy, that was cool.

When I was buying my project bike, I did some Vin checks, but nothing recognized the VIN. I was told it didn't exist and suggested that I check all the characters before entering it again. I wasn't too worried as the VIN from my roadworthy bike wasn't recognized either.

This link confirmed the VIN number of both my bikes. The were manufactured 3855 units apart.

#5 ·
imported post

Only works if your bike was built in USA my 1100 was built in Japan, the 1500 in USA and info checked out OK.:waving::waving::waving:

#8 ·
imported post

Kind of like those "mystics" at the fair that tell you your past. People get excited about someone telling the crap that they already know!:cheeky1:

Just kidding;). Actually a useful tool when looking at purchasing a bike.

#10 ·
imported post

mikef wrote:
You mean they don't work?
Even if they did, whats the use of someone telling you stuff you already knew? The future would be more useful to know.:gunhead:

#11 ·
imported post

Did I get rooked? I entered the VIN for my '86 1200 and the info that came up states that the motor is a 1082cc. Should I be running out into the freezing cold to confirm that my 1200 is actually an 1100 in disguise? Tell me they didn't really stick 1100 leftovers into 1200's just to upset me 23 years later!

#12 ·
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
I entered the VIN for my '86 1200 and the info that came up states that the motor is a 1082cc. Should I be running out into the freezing cold to confirm that my 1200 is actually an 1100 in disguise? Tell me they didn't really stick 1100 leftovers into 1200's just to upset me 23 years later!
Really?:shock:

That's interesting!
Would a 1200 engine fit into an 1100 frame?
If that is indeed the case, has such a modification been registered, and how would it effect your insurance standing in the event of an accident?????????

You might want to do some checking!!!

#15 ·
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
The website says that an 1100 engine has been put into my 1200 frame. Nice trick if it is because the valve covers have 1200 stamped on them.
I would be inclined to do some checking anyway!

Check the block for the cc stamp for one; check the engine and frame numbers against the paperwork......

Maybe it's just a case of 1200 valve covers on an 1100 engine...:shock:

#17 ·
imported post

What do you know, not everything you read on the web is true.

My 1200 has an 1198cc engine. Checked this morning. Actually knew it all along. When I bought it last year and still had the 1100 in the garage there was no mistaking the two. The 1200's engine may only be 1/3 of a can of Coke bigger but performance wise there's no mistaking the two motors. But wait, maybe my 1100 had a 1000 in it and my 1000 a 900? I smell a conspiracy!:shock:

I would like to move up to a 1500 in the future. Haven't ridden one yet but if that engine is almost a whole Coke can bigger than the one I have now and the performance is that much better, I better not test drive one or I'll have to have it RIGHT NOW! :action:

#18 ·
imported post

Well I checked mine, and it doesn't tell me the model other than a 1200. I bought it up here and it was made in Marysville OHIO. It's considered a Mobile class 6what ever that means, and it is a Check Digit 7, whatever that is suppose to mean. Does anyone out there know these codes? :)

#19 ·
imported post

Old Hawkeye wrote:
Well I checked mine, and it doesn't tell me the model other than a 1200. I bought it up here and it was made in Marysville OHIO. It's considered a Mobile class 6what ever that means, and it is a Check Digit 7, whatever that is suppose to mean. Does anyone out there know these codes? :)
This should help explain it.

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BVINSystem.htm

#22 ·
imported post

Wow now that is interesting. I just found out that Baby came from the Marysville plant. I was told that she was a Canadian bike. When I checked my cage it said was a Canadian import but no such wording for Baby. Thanks for the LINK. Angela.:waving::waving::waving::clapper::clapper::clapper::waving::waving::waving::clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.