Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

That is a totally amazing story, Mr. Redwinger, especially those graphic pictures.

Those folks were very lucky.

Iencountered a herd of deer on our Cycle Vacation last year at Lake Tahoe in Northern California.

Of all the Gadgets I have on my bike, I don't have any deer alerts, but My 58 Buick horns worked pretty well and blewthem when I saw the deer.

Deer must be stupid, 'cause when I saw them, they were on the right side of the road, but instead of turning around, theybolted right in front of me, and I was able to snap this picture with my "rear facingcam" after going by.

I was on 2 wheels too. ha ha.. Scared the hell out of me, 'cause they were still till I got close, and then they justran across the road and stopped and looked.:baffled:

Guess they were interested in all my "gadgets"!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

I know deer get transfixed by headlights and with all the lights you have on your bike Dave, I'm surprised they're not circling you like moths to a light. You must wreak havoc on rabbits at night?:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Kurt

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing to watch out for is that a lot of critters will reverse course when you startle them, they tend to go where they've been I guess because they felt safe before whatever scared them. I hit a coyote just that way with a bus, the critter ran across the highway in front of the bus but then reversed and didn't make it back. If he'd kept going he had it made but they don't think that way.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

There seems to be more deer in the city limits than in the countryside woods. I try to stay away from riding at night because the critters are so plentiful. :shock:

We had geese introduced in our area some years back and they are now a problem. Since this is the only home they know they do not follow the migratory route of their fine feathered friends. So they stay here all year and multiply. :crying:

Thereare geese droppings everywhere and the geesecommand that you stop so they can cross the road. Well one fellow decided he was going to make a U-turn in front of me and he got smushed. There were more feathers flying than a pillow fight at a pajama party. :madeyes::madeyes:

I felt bad that I had run over the bird but there was nothing that I could do. Sometimes conservation can be a hinderance. :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Geese are a pestilence!:whip:Around here we have a plague of Canada Geese. They crap up all the small lakes so no one can swim in them during the warmest months, the make the lawns in the parks so slippery you need rubber boots with caulks and the damn things run just about every other small critter out. With our mild weather and the fact they can find plenty to eat, the idea of a migration doesn't occur to them. I think they'd be excellent food for the homeless, not to mention I'd be willing to dispatch a couple for the freezer, but OH NO... the PETA idiots and whatnot can't abide having any killed. Same thing with deer.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Well ya could always take up archery with a flashlight :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: me I prefer the 12 guage tho :grinner:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you alternate with a bow and a pump gun you get to exercise both arms.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Bojees you need to send this to Chris (gl1200a1984) he is into the pancake and rabbit thing.:goofygrin:

Keep on Winging :bat:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Deer and Elephant

I inherited TWO, not one but TWO deer alerts on my bike. They must work on elephants too as I haven't seen any yet. Here we are famous for the Mayo Clinic and more importantly GEESE. The city just spent a bailout worth of bucks to curtail the population. They dug up most grasses around the lake, planted wild vegetation and fencing to discourage egg laying. There were many proposals from the ARA types, bow hunters etc. Many thought the cheapest way would be to hire dogs (four legged). I guess hitting one at speed would be akin to hitting a bowling ball. Ride safe.:eek:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Geese are a pestilence!:whip:Around here we have a plague of Canada Geese. They crap up all the small lakes so no one can swim in them during the warmest months, the make the lawns in the parks so slippery you need rubber boots with caulks and the **** things run just about every other small critter out. With our mild weather and the fact they can find plenty to eat, the idea of a migration doesn't occur to them. I think they'd be excellent food for the homeless, not to mention I'd be willing to dispatch a couple for the freezer, but OH NO... the PETA idiots and whatnot can't abide having any killed. Same thing with deer.
P people
E eating
T tasty
A animals

Chief

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Living in the PacNorthwest I can verify that deer are among the least predictable and most dangerous of the critters drivers routinely have to deal with here. Most folks agree the deer whistles don't have any helpful effect and the only thing you can count on is the animals will display no intelligence whatsoever when faced with vehicle traffic.

Very ugly to hit one...they're like a sack of cement. The only strategy I know of is to assume every deer you see WILL try to put you in the hospital...and drive accordingly. I guess it's the ones you DON'T see in time that are the killers. Honestly, it's a craps shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
kboou Hit the nail on the head. Don't alert the dear to your presence if you slow down or squeeze the brake they since your are hunting them and do funny things, they fear for there lives.
Wilf

·
Administrator
25,530 Posts
Deer alerts work!:applause:
No proof either way, who knows?

BTW, how is it someone I never heard of has almost 21,000 posts in about 1 1/2 years on the forum?

·
Premium Member
6,850 Posts
No proof either way, who knows?

BTW, how is it someone I never heard of has almost 21,000 posts in about 1 1/2 years on the forum?
You must never go to the Fun Forum He tries to double and triple post on every thread :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
You must never go to the Fun Forum He tries to double and triple post on every thread :cheesygrin:
I was about to say the same thing :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.