Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Almost bought the farm on the way in to work this morning. I missed the deer or rather it missed me by inches. I nearly stopped riding to work a couple years ago after a near miss, it really rattles your nerves.

My ride to work is in the early morning darkness, rural roads you can't see the deer until they are upon you. I see deer everyday on the way to work, I slow down and am very watchful in the "known trouble areas". This girl came from a place near a small town where I never see them cross!

The wing seems like a great bike, but I am afraid I would fair no better on it than on my sporty in a deer collision.

Anyone try them deer whistles you mount on your car?
I always figured they where of no help, but I am willing to try.

I just hope I put this out of my head in the morning and climb back on the bike. :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Glad you made it ok. I know what you mean about rattling the nerves. I have not tried the deer alerts. I know there was a thread on here about them. I do not know if they work or not. My wing had them on it when I bought it. I repainted it and took them off for the painting but did not put them back on.

When you leave out in the morning just be exta careful and be on the lookout for those forrest rats.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

UH OH he said DEER ALERTS!!!

There is a Deer alert thread in the fun forum. If you have a couple of days to read through it you will likely draw 2 conclusion. We are a bunch of lunatics and deer whistles do not make a significant difference.

I have added a pair of halogen driving lights to the front of my 'Wing. They are small ones but they are 55 watts each and I have them adjusted to shine on the shoulders of the road. They help to see things that are outside of the regular headlights. These lights and defensive driving are the only things you can do. I suppose to be sure to get your hunting license and thin the herd as much as possible would help too.

I hit a deer while doing about 55 a couple of years ago. If I had not been on the trike I am sure I would have gone down. That was in July and the deer was small enough to still have spots. Hit it dead center with the front tire and had me thrown far enough forward to be looking down at the headlight. I have no porblem riding again.

As for your rattled nerves, they are your nerves and it is your decision. I can only suggest you make sure you are lighting up the road as much as possible and continue to watch close for critters.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ya know deer are a very twitcy animal they jump at a mouse fart growing up in kansas in the desolate end lol

deer were very common good thing my 1st car was a tank i hit 30deer in 4yrs didnt even break the headlights good thing it had a big trunk lol was able to haul the deer home for dinner lol

anyway deer whistles scare them so they are just as liable to jump infront of you as they are to run away

gotta love deer

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Glad you are ok!

There may be more "deer whistle" threads on this site than any other. Some like 'em, most don't, but the discussions are always lively and often humorous, enjoy!

Riding/driving in deer country, especially on narrow roads with trees close to the edge of the road, is a lot like playing Russian roulette. Twilight makes it even more nervracking. There are many fatalities every year from deer/cage collisions too. On a bike we can stop quicker and swerve faster. I have an air horn I use liberally when I have the luxury of visual contact.

What are the options? Stay at home and take up hunting!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I can drive to work and see up to 20 deer on a 3 mile stretch . But when im onthe bike at 430 am i don't see any which is kind of strange to me so maybe the deer alerts do work . Ive had them in the road on the side of the road ive even had one running at me it went the other way from what i did all in the car .

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

living in deer country is a scarey proposition at best. As said before, a good set of driving lights will help you to spot them a little sooner if they are grazing or standing still. Deer love to run across the road I think because of past near misses of their own. I tend to leave home a little eariler so I can slow down a little more when I have to ride early in the morning or late in the evening. You MUST be more attentive, constantly scanning the edge of the roads for those feeding. You very seldom hit the deer you see, it's always the one don't. If you see deer, you can bet there are more that you don't see. Practice stopping hard and straight and manuvering your bike around obsticles.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Good afternoonPeterbilt,

"i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group"

Yup, and you seem to be proud of it too. Very difficult to follow.

Just a pet gripe of mine; I like to understand what i read. :readit:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I can't speak for how deer whistles would work on a bike, but I can tell you that 10 years ago I worked for a service company that ran 55 trucks throughout NC, Va and SC during the overnight hours. We installed Whistles on every truck and deer incidents decreased by over 89% the first year.

Why didn't it decrease it more?....... It wasn't till year 3 that we read the package they came in and found out in order to have them work properly, there is a left and a right side..... Who da' thunk....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
imported post

Gasp!!!! Did I hear the word DEER ALERTS????

Thar ain't no sich animal is thar? :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Deer, Kill them, Kill them all!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I see them almost every morning going to work at about 0415 am. I ride as much as I can with the high beams on, with the low beams I have the fog lights to help out. I've had a few very close calls over the years, and even stopped for another guy to take one out on a 01 Wing last fall on his way to work, just about one minute earlier than me. I'm always mindful that they are out there, and though they are very tasty, they are very hard to load onto the 1800 by yourself, so I do my best to avoid them and scan the sides of the road ahead continuously on the way to work.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

seagullplayer wrote:
Almost bought the farm on the way in to work this morning. I missed the deer or rather it missed me by inches. I nearly stopped riding to work a couple years ago after a near miss, it really rattles your nerves.

My ride to work is in the early morning darkness, rural roads you can't see the deer until they are upon you. I see deer everyday on the way to work, I slow down and am very watchful in the "known trouble areas". This girl came from a place near a small town where I never see them cross!

The wing seems like a great bike, but I am afraid I would fair no better on it than on my sporty in a deer collision.

Anyone try them deer whistles you mount on your car?
I always figured they where of no help, but I am willing to try.

I just hope I put this out of my head in the morning and climb back on the bike. :sadguy:
Glad you had the room for a miss....as far as fair better on the wing,chances are good you wont. But hey,thats the chance we all take every day we throw that leg over and fire the ole girl up and put our face to the wind. As stated above really all you can do is good lighting and be extra alert.Well there is a choice B...dont ride in the dark on rural roads. I will ride town after dark but other than that it would have to be very important.But thats just my choice and you will make yours and still enjoy the ride. Just be aware and dont let it make you over alert....tunnel vision is a bad thing. :?deer whistles .....most likely do as good if you just spray your bike with critter repelent :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

I totaled my ex wifes car the day after she put deer whistles on it. Told her she must have installed them backwards, she did NOT see the humor.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Deer whistles, Deer calls, Wolf Calls, Show me your B**bs

Nothing works every time LOL

I think the deer whistles work the least.

Show me your B**bs seems to work the most often, but then many times you may wish it hadn't LOL
Not that I used it much, but I been with people who have years ago. Sometimes I wished it had not worked, they were a bit scary! LOL

Deer whistles work the least often, just make them run anywhere and often in front of you. Not sure which was more scary, deer whistles or the B**bs LOL

Now the wolf calls are the best, only use them when you want to actually catch the gal and if she answers your in luck.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Deer alerts have been scientifically proven to not work.

HOWEVER the previous owner saw deer on his early morning commute regularly so he added them and never saw another deer. I have had the bike eight years now and have not seen a deer either.

I have cleaned the bugs out of the whistles a few times though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.