Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GL1800. 1st year with it. Best touring bike I ever had. Loudest stock horn I've ever come across.

Two road trips this year, one MN to North Carolina and a 2nd recently Lake MI circle tour. both with the wife along.

N.C. trip a lady in an SUV waiting at a stop sign looking the other way pulled out in front of us. Abrupt evasive manuver req'd.

MI trip a kid on a scooter waiting at a stop sign zoomed out in front of me after 2 of our 4 bike staggered formation passed by. Abrupt evasive manuver req'd. I managed to miss him and then he almost hit the guy behind me.

You can turn a GL1800, even a low speed, pretty damn sharply at need.
Several days in the past few years of "advanced riding instruction" at a track probably helped.

Over the years I've learned to automatically identify and watch vehicles in "threatening" locations. That plus an actual audible horn prevented 2 crashes this year.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Good post. Defensive driving is everything and can't be emphasized enough.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Timely post.

This last Thursday I was doing a local ride around the County just looking at things. I am always watching for those situations/locations you mentioned.

I was riding on the "main road" coming up on a classic "T" intersection where it came in on my right. I was doing about 30 MPH when I saw a half ton come up to the stop sign. He was looking the other way and never even looked in my direction. I would not have mattered if I was pushing a baby carriage or had 18 wheels ---> he never looked.

I had enough time to set-up a "close call" with him. Got set on the brakes and crowded up to his drivers door as he ran the stop sign. He looked my way at the last second and saw the wing in his window. I leaned on the air horn and applied brakes.

Eyes like dinner plates and I hope shorts are full of something. He just sped off and I wrote him off as just another danger on the road.

Timely post.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

Timely post.

This last Thursday I was doing a local ride around the County just looking at things. I am always watching for those situations/locations you mentioned.

I was riding on the "main road" coming up on a classic "T" intersection where it came in on my right. I was doing about 30 MPH when I saw a half ton come up to the stop sign. He was looking the other way and never even looked in my direction. I would not have mattered if I was pushing a baby carriage or had 18 wheels ---> he never looked.

I had enough time to set-up a "close call" with him. Got set on the brakes and crowded up to his drivers door as he ran the stop sign. He looked my way at the last second and saw the wing in his window. I leaned on the air horn and applied brakes.

Eyes like dinner plates and I hope shorts are full of something. He just sped off and I wrote him off as just another danger on the road.

Timely post.

Yer a mean one ..............:claps::claps:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 02 Valkyrie with harbor freight ele. horns.I love them. Just yesterday while in Fred Myers parking lot waiting for traffic to move a one ton pickup driven by a woman was in front of me.Well she decided to back up so I got on the horns and gave her about 15 seconds of full blast.She did stop as every one in the lot wondering what the heck was going on.Great horns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.