Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have had the pleasure of riding with a great number of people, of varying abilities on the bike. You see so many riding styles, one for each rider.

I know that there are times when I ride that I am clearly in better control of the bike, for whatever reason, and times when my spirits may be soaring but my control of the bike is playing catchup.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what I am doing and trying to get the body and mind dialed in to the proper spot each time I ride. Today as I enjoyed one of those really short but sweet rides, I found myself wondering how others would define "a good rider".

I think a good rider is one who is always in control of the bike, not exceeding the limits of the bike or the conditions. One who can identify any situation that alters those limits well in advance of them actually happening.

I dont think its the guy that can knee drag, or the iron butt, or anything else about a riding style.

There's one feller, a regular here on the forum, that I've ridden with who strikes me as the best rider I have ever been with. Actually, make that two. I want to be able to ride like them.

comments?

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Any rider who uses their head and rides like a sane person is a good rider to me. That said there is a time and place to ride like you stole it and a good rider knows when and where. Like Scooter Tramp said "a man's got to know his limitations" or was that Clint Eastwood. I forget.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My thoughts include:

1. Being consistent in my actions and riding in a predictable manner whether with other bikes or in traffic by myself. That way others are better able to anticipate your actions.

2. When I ride, there are many times that I evaluate whether I was smooth in a turn, shifted correctly, etc. I am always asking myself if I could improve on handling the bike.

3. There are always ways to decrease the chances of being involved in a accident, no matter who is at fault. I Japan, the percentage of fault is determined by the amount of experience. NASCAR teams study this.

For example, position in traffic, or at a yield sign did I start to go and then come to a quick stop with the traffic behind me thinking I left the intersection.Or ifI come to a sudden stop, I glance in the mirror to see if I can maneuver to keep the person from behind hitting me.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I believe you pretty well described what I feel a good rider is. Staying focused is paramount for me. Losing focus for an instant makes you have to catch up to the current situation instead of being proactive. Good thread!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

the golden rule.......do unto others
common sence
experience
experience
experience

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

All very good!

I might add, never coming to the place that you think you're the best rider you can be. ;)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I think it's all about attention, patience, and always watching for cage drivers to do the unexpected.

I don't know if that makes me a good rider or not. It might make me an alive rider though.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Me.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I thought you were a great rider and not just a good rider:action::D:cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I thought you were a great rider and not just a good rider:action::D:cheeky1:
Thanks! Got way too many scars to be a great rider. :dude:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

all of the above are good. but a good rider pays for my lunch!!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
I have had the pleasure of riding with a great number of people, of varying abilities on the bike. You see so many riding styles, one for each rider.

I know that there are times when I ride that I am clearly in better control of the bike, for whatever reason, and times when my spirits may be soaring but my control of the bike is playing catchup.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what I am doing and trying to get the body and mind dialed in to the proper spot each time I ride. Today as I enjoyed one of those really short but sweet rides, I found myself wondering how others would define "a good rider".

I think a good rider is one who is always in control of the bike, not exceeding the limits of the bike or the conditions. One who can identify any situation that alters those limits well in advance of them actually happening.

I dont think its the guy that can knee drag, or the iron butt, or anything else about a riding style.

There's one feller, a regular here on the forum, that I've ridden with who strikes me as the best rider I have ever been with. Actually, make that two. I want to be able to ride like them.

comments?
i'd have to agree w/ you, but an iron ass should hold a lot of wieght:D and carry a big horn:cheeky1::action:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.