Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

diesel dello 400. i have used castral 10w40 for the past three years. thinking about switching to dello 400
good idea? i don't fine castral to be the best oil i have used.
in the past i have owned to taxi cab's v8 crown victoria
i alway's used diesel in them and found it to be extral ordinary<< darn where is spell check when you need it >>.
about using it in the bike is questionable but i know some other's that use .it

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

My 1500 did not like Castrol oil. I figured that out when it had 3500 miles on it and the tappets started clicking during a long hard 85+ run home from San diego. I had to stop in Yuma for an hour to let it cool down just so it could get some oil pressure again. It was foaming :shock: and the lifters went flat.

Changed to Delo 400 and 7000 miles and she was still humming right along, but I changed it anyway.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I am in the process of changing/flushing the system on my 1000. I was at wal mart checking out oil. I bought the castrol to flush through the system. I'll add Sea Foam to it and run about 100-200 miles before changing it again. I don't remember seeing Delo 10-40. Speculation: Would the Delo 15-40, cause a problem in the old 1000?

Terry

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is what I use. Works well for me.

Kit

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
imported post

terry_208 wrote:
I am in the process of changing/flushing the system on my 1000. I was at wal mart checking out oil. I bought the castrol to flush through the system. I'll add Sea Foam to it and run about 100-200 miles before changing it again. I don't remember seeing Delo 10-40. Speculation: Would the Delo 15-40, cause a problem in the old 1000?

Terry
i would not be riding with seafoam in the crankcase

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

went shopping today wallyworld haven't heard of delo 400
so i stopped by parts source they had it just got it in actually, but it was only in 10w30 is that what you people use? i bought it anyway's good price 12.99 for a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I use royal purple . Works wonderful and so far my bike loves it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

detdrbuzzard wrote:
terry_208 wrote:

Terry
i would not be riding with seafoam in the crankcase
Actually, the manufacturer recommends to run Sea Foam in the crankcase for a while.

I and others have done it, and it will not damage the engine. It will however, dissolve all the varnishes that have built up on various parts. After a couple hundred miles, you will want to drain the oil and definitely change the oil filter.

Stick with the amount recommended by the manufacturer. You don't want to over dilute the oil. IIRC, it is 4 oz for the crankcase. I personally poured in one half can of the stuff, ran it 200 miles and drained it. Blackest oil I ever saw, but after that, oil stayed clean, clean.

For more info on Sea Foam, read through The Sea Foam Chronicles

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I use Delo400 now as well. Quieted down clicking and ticking, and the clutch is smoother. I had to get the "Delo400LE in 10w40. The LE is environmentally better without "modifiers". Seems like the ticket. I'd like to try that RoyalPurple someday,though. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Wal Mart sells Shell Rotella T 15W-40W (blue gallon and quart containers). This is a synthetic oil. This oil is rated CJ-4/SM. There is no other commercial, synthetic or dinosaur, oil that can match the specs of this oil. It is also not "Energy Conserving" rated, which is a no-no for bikes. It is currently about $20 a gallon.

If you look at the http://www.st-owners.com site, you will see that it is used almost exclusively by every ST-1300 rider.

To go along with your oil change, Purolator oil filters (their Ultimate line), sold at Advanced Auto Parts, are one of the best filters made.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I have used rotella t the white gallon and will like to see some inprovement in noise and shifting. WIll try the seafoam in the crankcase and the synthetic rottella next time around.

My wing is giving me a hard time to start in the morning . I have to crank her for 10 secs approx 6 times before she will stay running.
It is cold out here and wondering if its the grade of oil Im using.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

In the cold of winter, I would use a 5w40 just so the starter did not have to work so hard.

Strange enough, 5w40 is used by our fleet department here year around. And I work in Phoenix where it gets 120*F in the summers.

If it works through that, it will work for your bike.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I thought the Delo thats sold now adays at Walmart was CJ4 compliant. Which as mentioned in the past isn't good for bikes clutches? The older Delo was what everyone liked but they changed the additives on the newer stuff. Am I wrong?

Royal purple looks good but is very pricey here,around $8 a quart.

I've been using Castrol Snytec which is about $4.50 a quart. Does good for me.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well be careful with the Royal Purple. The standard synthetic blend you purchase does not say energy conserving on it. But if you do a little research on it, the very reason it runs so slick is because it has moly added to the oil . Just exactly what we are supposed to avoid with a wet clutch.

Royal Purple does make a motorcycle specific oil. It is called Max Cycle. So you have to be aware, even though it is not stated on the container, it is for modern automobile use and not for motorcycles with a wet clutch.

This is why they make one specifically for motorcycles.

As does Mobile One. Mobile one however does state that fact on their container. And they also make the 4T motorcycle specific oil.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I thought the Delo thats sold now adays at Walmart was CJ4 compliant. Which as mentioned in the past isn't good for bikes clutches? The older Delo was what everyone liked but they changed the additives on the newer stuff. Am I wrong?

Royal purple looks good but is very pricey here,around $8 a quart.

I've been using Castrol Snytec which is about $4.50 a quart. Does good for me.
CJ4 is an additive, for sure. But does not have a thing to do with lubrication or the wet clutch. It is a Al Gore thing, emission control, an additive that is supposed to cause any oil that gets past the rings to burn and be more pollution free. That is what CJ4 is all about.

Just so you know, all oils have this classification now, all of them, it is a government regulation. They are all now CJ4 compliant. All of them, yep even your favorite one has it. There are some old stock around I am sure, but as it gets used, you will see those letters on it all.

Kit

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Rotella in the Blue Jug-15w40 is the only oil I've ever used in either bike and it works great. Sometimes it's hard to find at Wally World so I keep a couple of gallons on hand.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hey thanks,Kit. I wondered what the cj4 was all about. Delo calls thiers "LE". I actually saw an improvement in noise/clutch issues with it. jimsjinx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.