Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

Last night I decided to try Delo 400 15w40. I am switching from Rotella T6. Here is my question, when I was putting the Delo 400 in the bike, it looked awfully thick. It is 27 degrees F here in Oklahoma this morning. Is this oil OK to use or is it too thick for the winter months?

I ride all year round and am a little concerned this oil may be a little too thick during the winter. Thoughts?

It can get down to the single digits here, but that is not normal. Usually in the winter it is in the twenties in the mornings.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Actually a 15w40 and a 20w40 or 50 oil would be considered a Warm Temp (aka summertime) oil. Cold weather generally means shorter rides and so operating in the "cold end of the temp spetrum. Even with the 10w30 and 10w40 oils the "10" side of that equation (which is a indication of how easily the oil "flows" at cold temps)is what would be important for your wintertime riding. I'd say the the T-6 with it's 5w40 (achievable because of it's synthetic makeup) rating would be a better choices.
If it is economics that is driving your decision look for a good 10w30 conventional oil. As long as you don't use any of the energy conserving or extended milage types you'll be fine. However saving $5-10 on a oil change every couple months just doesn't seem all that wise to me. Eat an apple instead of stopping at McDonalds once a month and you'll save more than that.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Well my wife and I just got back from a 120 mile ride, and I have to say this oil is awesome! I really cannot believe how much better the bike shifts. It is almost like riding an entirely different machine.

I may switch back to Rotella for the winter, but this stuff is going right back in when spring comes.

Ed

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'm run Delo 15/40 in my '78.

It's regularly in the 20's here, ...daily. Been down to -2F.

I ride everyday; Day, Night, Cold, and colder than Cold.

No problems, no worries...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I run the Delo also. I changed the oil in NH a month ago(Nov 5th) before heading back here to Oside and had no problems starting it any of the cold mornings, had low of 25 on the trip, bike outside with a cover on it. A good alternator and Good battery are a must for cold weather as the battery takes the beating.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with CaptainMidnight85, While not seeing quite as cold of temps as him, it gets cold here and have never had issues in any bikes using the Delo oil...and with you being in Oklahoma i dont see how there would be any issues whatsoever anyway...Id just leave it in...and ride!!!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Ed, the 5w, 10w, 15w is all about when the engine is cold, i.e., when starting... after warmup, the operating temperature rating applies, i.e., the 30, 40... if it cranks and starts easily then I wouldn't worry about using the 15w... if it struggles, or the starter clutch doesn't engage a 5w might be better..

Delo 400 is also my oil of choice, but I don't usually ride below freezing...

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Delo 400 is also my oil of choice, but I don't usually ride below freezing...
Yes me too, I consider switching on the heated clothing around 60 deg :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.