Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just changed my oil from GN4 to Chevron Delo 15w40. Anyone else use the Delo ? It seems to shift better, but I only have 500 miles using the Delo, and 6,000 overall on the 2008 Goldwing.

Any thoughts ?

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've seen quite a few swear by it. I haven't tried it, I stick with a high mileage oil for my Oldwing..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

you will find a lot of aficionados of Delo 400 15w40 in Goldwing land. Me for one :action:

For the very reasons you mentioned. Better shifts and quieter transmission.

Any oil of the proper viscosity, changed properly will protect the engine. Just stay away from slippery modifiers.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Depends on what board you visit Dave.

If you are on the GWRRA board they practically castrate you if you don't use Rotella-T, blue jug in the 1800.

I think either would be fine for you.

I favor the Delo for my 1500.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I will be returning to the Delo. I just purchased some Mobil One 4T motorcycle specific oil . It was $9 and some change per quart. I like to change oil at 4000 miles which is half the recommended change interval specified in all the service manual, I used to use Delo all the time always did like it. Then I got on the amsoil kick and it got very expensive too.

So next oil change it is back to the delo, if they want to price themselves out of my purchase range, cool. I cannot justify the extra expense, when one conducts regular oil and filter changes.

Of all the times I have gotten into looking at oils, researching this and that, Delo always is on the top of the list in some way.

Thing is any modern oil is good. I am now convinced many come out of the same barrel and they just put a different color dye in it and a different label on it and stick it on the shelf.

Delo always ran cooler and quiter in the Harley's . Will be returning to it in April myself, it is cold around here now some days, rained all day today, so this time of year miles do not add up too quickly.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I switched to the Delo 15/40 in Sept. just before my road trip to NASSIR. I know my 86-I shifted smother and ran cooler. 1600 miles down and back, and the highway mileage improved also. I'm a new convert... :gunhead:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When I 1st bought my bike, the PO was using the Honda G4 oil and I got an additional 4 quarts with the bike.

When I was doing some riding in WA state, I stopped and picked up a jug of Rotella-T, blue jug(synthetic) and after my next oil change, Inoticed my shifting had improved quite nicely(quieter), but after only2000 - 2500 miles, I noticed the engine was quite 'noisy'. Seems like the oil broke down faster under the shearing action and it looked only a little thicker than water when changed out.

After reading about the Chevron Delo 15W40 recommendations here, I tried a jug of that and I found that while it retained the smoother gear changes of the Rotella-T, the engine runs a lot quieter. I change my oil out now at between 5 -7.000K, which is a good 2-5000k more than the Rotella-T told me it was time for a change.

The Delo is all I run in her now, as I'm happy with it and the Delo LE 15W40.

I'll usually pick up a couple of jugs when I'm running near a US Walmart, as Canadian Walmarts don't carry it, Try it, I think you'll like it.:clapper:

Goodoil for only $10.80(US) a jug. ;)

Dusty

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Ditto on what Kit Carson said

BUT, I personally would not put 5w-40 in anything I own. At least not down here in Texas. If I were in a colder climate "maybe". But I would not expect to be riding a motorcycle in the temps where the thin side of the oil is needed. I stick with a 10w-40 in most of my vehicles and Mobil 1 syn 15w-50 in the wing. When the bike gets to about 3500 miles on the oil the gear changes begins to feel very clickety or notchy feeling. By then the oil looks a bit dirty so I change it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.