Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After reading several posts here on the advantages of diesel oil, I bought a case of Delo 400 LE, 15w-40, CJ-4 at Costco. I changed out the GN4 about 1,000 miles ago and so far have been pleased. My 1800 feels smoother when shifting. Nothing negative so far.

I read a post that for our application, NOTHING should be in the bottom of the circular donut (where "energy conserving" is located for automobile oil). On the Delo jug, the bottom of the donut has CJ-4 printed. Why placed there ? Does CJ-4 have a higher amount of friction modifers to warrant special attention ?

I don't want to cause any long term harm to the Goldwing. Planning on a 4,000 mile trip this summer. Do you think I would be safe with the Delo or should I switch to Rotella ?

Thanks for your time guys !

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Won't diesel oil be wrong for petrol engines? I know the detergents will keep the bottom end spotless clean, but is it really needed for agas engine that doesn't soot up the crankcase?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I tried to us Rotella once. I put it in my 1100. It would smoke on start up. Never did that before. And I could smell it in the exhaust until it got warm. I went back to Valvoline 4 stroke. Used Rotella for about a week. I figure it is not worth trying to a save a dollar. I know others use it and like it. But mine smoked with it. After switching back smoking stopped. Never tried Delo. Hear others like it. But I think I will pay a little extra and stick with what I have always been happy with. Cost difference for me is about $1 per quart.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I've used Rotella T 15/40, and delo 400 15/40 in my '82 wing. I had absolutely no issues with either oil. No clutch slippage, or consumption between changes.And when you pull out the fill plug and look inside, its clean as a whistle.The motor runs smooth and quiet, and does not smoke even when started after sitting on the side stand for weeks on end. Oil doesn't care what type of motor it goes in, and if it can keep a diesel motor satisfied a gas motor will do well on it.,,

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

In answer to Ball Boy, yes you can use diesel oil in petrol engines, but it's overkill really because the detergints aren't needed I petrol engines.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

CJ-4 rating has to do with additives put into the oil to lower pollution and to cut down on emissions into the air. All of you that are snowed in and even myself with it noon and 28 degrees and headed for 19 degrees this evening know how important this is. Global warming is imminent. Getting warmer all the time. :D Anyway that is what it is for, to cut down on pollution.

The general idea is yes it does effect the performance of all oils and is not to be used in any Diesel engines prior to 2007. The reason for this is the oil does tend to break down quicker than the more extended change intervals in the newer vehicles and as of yet oil filters have not been designed to more fully filter the oil. As the oil breaks down and gathers more pollutants in the oil due to the new formula, it is a concern that for example our new Wings have a change interval of 8000 miles. The oil will not go that far with the new CJ-4 formulation. Some oils such as Amsoil have a recommended change interval of up to 25,000 miles, so there is a lot of talk and many ideas about that. (special filters are also required for this )

Basically in short summary, CJ-4 is a formula to cut down on emissions. It does cut down on the extended change interval in the vehicles since 2007. It will eventually be in all oils, it is a thing of the future just like ethenol is in gas. Myself I just change the oil at 5000 miles and do not worry about it. I have always overlooked those extreme change intervals, never has made any sense to me.

Here is a link that gives you some hints on the situation. Please ignore the Amsoil hype, they always have the best oil, and if you do not believe them just ask them. :) But a lot of good information can be found by reading between the lines on some of their write-ups and is very accurate as far as technical things, it is just that they always show themselves having the best oil, and they may well have, just that it costs to have the best.

Amsoil Synthetic CJ-4 Diesel Engine Oil Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.