Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anybody know where or when can I demo a new GoldWing... Since Honda does not let dealers let costumers demo there bikes....

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Honda has nothing to do with whether dealers have demos or not. The bike belongs to the dealer, not Honda. That is just an excuse. Call around to all the dealers within the distance you are willing to travel, maybe one of them has a demo.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

the local honda shop in my town will let you ride one you have to have a valid drivers licence and sign papers before you ride it and the salesman follows you other than that its no diffrent than test driving a car

for 20 or 30,000 they better let you test drive it lol

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

The dealer in our small town won't let you test ride a bike due to his insurance, but a large dealer, Neihaus, in Litchfield has a couple that are used for test rides. Might have a wait for one on a weekend.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Dealer here in Sterling IL will allow you to test ride if you have an cycle endorsment. He has a demo he rides evey day that he will let you test ride.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I'm sure this has been covered before but the Honda dealer and another dealer in my town will not allow test rides. They cite insurance reasons. But if a BMW dealer will let you test drive a $50,000 used sedan why wont a motorcycle dealer let you test drive a $10,000 used bike. I'm guessing the skill set needed to ride a motorcycle is rarer than skills needed to drive a car. Although I've been to demo days at a Harley dealer.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Ya might try www.eaglerider.com website.I rented a new GW for a full day for $150 while vacationing in Nashville,TN.'bout 3-4 yrs ago.Which caused by wife to declare,"we gotta have one of these!" The rest is history.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Tell your dealer you won't consider buying without a test ride. One local one made that same claim, until another Honda dealer 30 miles away started advertising test rides. Suddenly, the first dealership changed it's policy. Now they make a big deal out of offering test rides.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Scootertrash nailed it.

I wouldrent one for a few days/weekend and then make the decision.

Ride it in differnt conditions, slow, fast, city and country, straight , twisties, one up and two up. Also do a long ride (>100miles non stop), then check your rear end and how does it feel (like iron butt or ok).

This will give you a good feel for the bike and its capabilities.

Remember, this is a big bike and not a learners bike (if this is your first large bike).

It is heavy, not a crotch rocket. But it will go the distance over any other bike on the market.:cheesygrin:

PS:

If you are a very tall person, >6' then you want to be aware of the knee clearance to the fairing and bent knee angle.

I am 6'5" 36" inseamand cant fiton the GL1800, but fit fine on the GL1500

If you are less the 5'?" then make sure the seat height does not cause you issues when trying to hold the bike up while stopped at a light.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
Tell your dealer you won't consider buying without a test ride. One local one made that same claim, until another Honda dealer 30 miles away started advertising test rides. Suddenly, the first dealership changed it's policy. Now they make a big deal out of offering test rides.
Absolutely. There is ZERO chance of me shelling out 25-30K on a bike without a test ride and a long one at that.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

I didn't buy mine without a test ride first, but I didn't have to ask, they insisted that I test ride it.

a good dealer that wants to sell a bike will let you ride, if you have a motorcycle endorsement and sign some papers.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Seems like it is hard enough to sell a big dollar Motorcycle, without letting a person ride it.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

yeah i've demo every Harley at Sturgis bike week but Honda doesn't do that. I mean there is 500,000 riders at a rally why not let people test ride there bikes and get more people to buy there vehicles.....

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

rottie, thanks for all the information I already own a 2002 goldwing this is my first one but i would like to know if there is any difference between a 2002 and the new 2012 model...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

FYI, Honda does demo rides of the Goldwing as well as various other models of Honda's at the Wing Ding rally's, at least they did at the one that I went to back in 2007, and had apparently been doing so for many years. Did anybody that went last year see that offering? I'm wondering if they still do it since they pulled their factory out of the US.

As for the dealers, it's as has already been said. It's the dealers choice. If I was ready to buy or order a bike from them I'd say, are you going to let me take a test ride before I spend my money or do I find another dealer that will?

John

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Most dealers that I have dealt with will let a person ride a bike if they are a serious buyer. If a person is there to take a joy ride and has no means or plans to buy the bike. Then they don't want miles run up on what will be someone elses bike. Put it this way if you are looking to buy a brand new bike do you want one that has 386 miles of everyone else test rideing your bike?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.