Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hello All
Just got done draining my gas tank to try the electrolysis method recommended by Allen (flyboyziel56) a while back.Will be leaving the tank in the bike.1/3 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to 5 gal.water, Just want to confirm mixture and any opinion on whether temperature matters as it has been cold here in Ga. of late ? Will also PM Allen. Here are a few pics. of the condition of the tank now. Thanks for any opinions.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

I used a cup for 5 gals and when I did mine it was 45 degrees in the garage. Temp should be fine just make sure you have some ventilation. It does put off gases just like you would when you charge a battery. Looking at the photos you should be clean in under 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

temp wont matter, ratio doesnt really matter as long as you have enough, more wont do anything, it just makes the water conduct the electricity and it will only cont so much and thats it. voltage is the only thing that makes it faster 12 volts at 3-12 amps is good but 24 volts at 6-20 amps even better. just make sure you have the polarity right, - place NEGATIVE LEAD (this is critical!!) on the piece that is to be cleaned.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

OK Process has started, POS. ON ROD,NEG. ON TANK, correct ? 1 cup washing soda in 5 gals water,2 amp on charger. Pics.below. Any one know how to post more than 1 pic. at a time ?

Jim

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I cleaned one tank and a bunch of small parts with electrolysis, they all came out well. I also used a battery charger and adjusted the current by varying the size of the electrode in the electrolyte and adjusting the amount of soda in the water. This method works very well, it even takes paint and other gunk off small parts.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Not sure if using my automatic charger was the best idea, not sure if or how much it's putting out. Maybe should have bought a cheap manual charger.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

You can also use Coca~Cola and small stones or grit to loosen rough rust particles inside the tank. Of course it helps if you have the tank off for that, and swish it around or mount it on a bicycle wheel and spin. The grit breaks up the rust and the cola treats the metal preventing the rust from reforming. The biggest hassle is getting all the grit out. Been there a few times too!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I used an automatic charger and ran it around 5A by adjusting the electrolyte and anode exposure to keep the current rate adjusted. It would probably be better to use a battery in parallel with the charger though you'd need an ammeter on the anode to adjust the current. With a battery in the circuit the current from the charger would be filtered through the battery so you'd have a constant current. With the charger by itself the lack of filtration of the rectified current means there's a pretty strong saw tooth pattern on the voltage and current. That means you're really not getting an average of whatever current the charger shows but something less. How much less depends on the rectifier in the charger whether it's half wave or full wave and how much if any filtering the output wave gets. I really don't know how much effect the fluctuating current has on the whole process, most likely it just makes it take a bit longer. Either way electrolysis works well on small parts and tanks. Apparently Igot some on my head too...:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Ok first check of the anode rod after about 30 hours.Wire brushed it off and back in. Will check it again in 24 hrs.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Update--- After removing the rod after about 30 hrs. cleaned it and put back in. Here is the results after another 24 hrs.

Jim

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

rideandslidejim wrote:
Pic. 2 After 2nd session.
Jim!!, just a critical point, after the process is complete, and the tank is rinsed, be sure to fill it up with fuel and replace the fuel filter. I would let it flow with the filter on for a fer seconds until I knew that the fuel was free of water or any forien material before hooking it up to the fuel pump!!. Be sure to post some after pictures of the clean tank!!. This will certainly put to bed the myth of " Can the tank be cleaned while on the bike" Right?. Great job, and great pictures!!!. Cheers Allan
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Jim....as far as posting multiple pics in one post....upload your pics to your photo gallery. Then when you get ready to post a photo just click on the "G" in the right hand corner. It will pull up your gallery and you can post multiple pics from there.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.