Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a close friend and neighbor who like myself loves old british bikes. He is well equipped to do restorations and repairs at his home. He takes a lot of work for hire on any brand, any year. He can do about anything and he does it right, but he doesn't understand electrics or electronics, and he doesen't do welding or machining. Any time there is an electrical, welding or machiningproblem he gets me involved and I can usually sort it out for him. Electrics is my main interest.

Today he had a bike he's restoring for a young man. Judging by the condition it had been left sitting for many years. 1977 Yamaha SR500S. A real Hot Rod nice bike, but the electrical system was corroded andin bad shape. I spent the entire day on it but with the help of an accurate schematicand a good multimeter all was working when I left.

The bike still has a lot of problems before it is 100% ready but the kid can't do much without hiring people like my friend or myself to make it right. I feel badly for people like him who are willing to spend hundreds to make their dream bike work and the moment there is a problem they must bring it back to guys like me to make it work again. He'd have been better off buying something newer in my mind. Psycology.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Thats the American way Tom, Thats what moves the economy.

I have a riding lawnmower but hired a guy that was sitting on a corner with a lawnmower one day, paid him $120 to mow and trim my yard 3 times....... Made his day....

Made mine too, I went riding......

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Don't give up hope.

It's the chase of the dream to own the (____) of their dreams that often brings people to the world of the mechanically-adept.

It starts with their first oil change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.